There are 147 users in the forums

FA Film analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:
.be

Lot of talking points there jd. With base wide 9, a defense can't go with a 5 man front and I remember hearing Kyle talk about how he likes a 5 man front when asked about why he likes 4-3 Under. Good point about how wide 9 exposes your stack LBs to second level blocks from interior OLmen. Warner and Kwon being asked to stack and shed would not be playing to their strengths. I think all this base wide 9 talk will be gameplan specific. Against teams where you don't fear the run, sure go with it. But if an offense can punish you by running between the tackles with gap concepts, wide 9 shouldn't be a part of the gameplan.
.be

Jonny this is awesome.

For our stats guys, we know that Ford was on the field 86% of the snaps but does anyone know how often he was run against to his side and the YPC?

One of the reasons I ask is because he noted that strength against the running game was an area he worked hard on.

But if we're in base, having him at SAM is fine.
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 15, 2019 at 3:03 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
.be

Great stuff, everybody that loves football should watch this.

PS, your last point about Buckner at DT with Dee Ford/Bosa is a great point. If the Pats and T. Brown couldn't handle Dee Ford alone, imagine the kind of pressure Dee Ford can put *with* a DT on the same side with him like a Buckner. You mentioned the Pats doubling Dee, but add in a stunt by Buckner and Dee, and those double teams are going to be wreaked by those stunts and dogs, and I really am looking forward to the 2nd coming of the NY Sack exchange in Buckner + either Ford or Bosa. The 49ers won it all four times with that kind of personnel, (the fifth time, it was Deion on the back end). Just have that kind of a pass rush coming from the blind side of a QB, and you are looking at a defense that can generate a lot of turnovers.
Originally posted by Giedi:
.be

Great stuff, everybody that loves football should watch this.

PS, your last point about Buckner at DT with Dee Ford/Bosa is a great point. If the Pats and T. Brown couldn't handle Dee Ford alone, imagine the kind of pressure Dee Ford can put *with* a DT on the same side with him like a Buckner. You mentioned the Pats doubling Dee, but add in a stunt by Buckner and Dee, and those double teams are going to be wreaked by those stunts and dogs, and I really am looking forward to the 2nd coming of the NY Sack exchange in Buckner + either Ford or Bosa. The 49ers won it all four times with that kind of personnel, (the fifth time, it was Deion on the back end). Just have that kind of a pass rush coming from the blind side of a QB, and you are looking at a defense that can generate a lot of turnovers.

So good!
  • All22
  • Veteran
Great work jonnydel. The explanation of Soloman Thomas at LEO was a great. Really impactful.

How you would rank WQ, Bosa, and Allen WRT how they'll fit and impact our overall front-7?
[ Edited by All22 on Mar 15, 2019 at 3:25 PM ]
Great stuff. It would be great if you had time to do this with some of the other FA's we picked up. Know it takes a lot of time.
.be

f**king Gold here
.be

Love the breakdown, and especially Jason Kelce's hands on hips after that second clip!
This is great!
Originally posted by All22:
Great work jonnydel. The explanation of Soloman Thomas at LEO was a great. Really impactful.

How you would rank WQ, Bosa, and Allen WRT how they'll fit and impact our overall front-7?

I haven't watched a ton of Allen. I've tried to watch a lot of Bosa and as I only live 70 miles from Tuscaloosa I watched all of Bama's games and QW. To me, Bosa is the best scheme fit out of all of them. QW is a player good enough to play in any scheme but we've already invested 3 of our last 4 first round picks on interior DL and it's not like AA or ST aren't impactful in the game. They both can get pressure inside and are both good run defenders. Is QW the better of the 3? Probably. But you also have to look at the cost:benefit ratio. Is QW soooo much better than AA or ST inside that it's worth the #2 pick? Or, is Bosa so far and above anyone else that we'd have at DE that the benefit to cost ratio is much higher.

Everything I've seen of Bosa he'd be perfect in our scheme. He'd have the disruption of a Michael Bennett with the ER ability of Frank Clark or better.

Think of Joey Bosa and Melvin Ingram in LA, and I think our combo would be even better.

JD...throwing out next ideas for you if you'd like but I had a sneaky suspicion before FA that we might not be as hard pressed for a perfect-fit cover-3 FS like we all hoped for/or assumed. It doesn't sound like we even made an attempt at ET3 or Amos.

The first sign for me was towards the end of the year when we ran far more 2-deep S shells. The next was the hiring of Joe Woods. And finally, the surprising inactivity in a deep S class.

Could we be moving away from the single-high S and going to more interchangeable FS/SS's again with Tartt, Harris, Ward, Exum?

Do you have any clips on how differently we played in the back end after the bye-week as a potential precursor to a scheme change this year? Thl...anyone?
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 17, 2019 at 6:23 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
JD...throwing out next ideas for you if you'd like but I had a sneaky suspicion before FA that we might not be as hard pressed for a perfect-fit cover-3 FS like we all hope. It doesn't sound like we even made an attempt but ET3 or Amos. The first sign for me was towards the end of the year when we ran far more 2-deep S shells. The next was the hiring of Joe Woods. And finally, the inactivity in a deep S class.

Could we be moving away from the single-high S and going to more interchangeable FS/SS's again with Tartt, Harris, Ward, Exum?

Do you have any clips on how differently we played in the back end after the bye-week as a precursor to a scheme change this year? Thl...anyone?

I've been wondering about that too. Signing a shorter CB (Verrett) is another sign that Saleh is showing some plasticity.
Originally posted by NCommand:
JD...throwing out next ideas for you if you'd like but I had a sneaky suspicion before FA that we might not be as hard pressed for a perfect-fit cover-3 FS like we all hope. It doesn't sound like we even made an attempt but ET3 or Amos. The first sign for me was towards the end of the year when we ran far more 2-deep S shells. The next was the hiring of Joe Woods. And finally, the inactivity in a deep S class.

Do you have any clips on how differently we played in the back end after the bye-week as a precursor to a scheme change this year? Thl...anyone?
Well, we did play some 2 deep for the past couple years. They did show moments where they were more like 3-4 safeties, in that they were similar players.

I might put something together next week
Another thought on using two deep safties. Sherm would be able to transition to FS in the future since he wouldn't have to play single high.
JD, just gotta say, I was watching JT OSulvains YouTube channel. He does a half ass job breaking down plays. He did the TD to Juice against KC.

Your break down makes his look foolish!

You are an asset to zone!
[ Edited by GolittaCamper on Mar 17, 2019 at 9:08 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone