Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Great breakdown.

What I think a lot of people get hung on is that LA runs an OZ run scheme and so do we and so its disconcerting.

However, not all OZ is the same and theres a reason why Shanny paid so much for Juice. With that FB it adds so much variety to what the OZ can do. You can attack strong side, you can use it to create a balanced surface, you can come back with counters, split zone or toss plays along with, what we've seen, a guy that can enter the pass game and also fo vertical.

I will take Shanny's scheme 10/10 times over McVay.
When it comes to what a team can do in the run game, that FB adds so much more than a WR, or even a second inline TE. The play I showed for LA had a WR coming across on a sift block, so in a way, he's playing the role of the "lead blocker" in the backfield. But that WR is never going to be leading through the hole (A/B/C gap) to block a LB head on. And that's why NE was able to spread their front wide, and sacrifice being thin (1 second level defender). With a FB in the backfield, no way a defense keeps their second level that thin.

That's why it's so awesome to have a FB that can not only block those gaps and take on LBers but can also defeat LBer in the passing game. When this is the case you are then dictating to the defense. I know some like to throw s**t at Kyle and John for paying Juice what they paid him, but he's a guy that can do this and given how much Kyle's wants to use 21 it makes perfect sense.