There are 146 users in the forums

Literally the Worst Case Scenario for this Team Happened this Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It can only go up from here. If any of us after this offseason even suggested that this team would be 2-14 after losing our newly signed FQB for the season, our newly signed RB for the season, and Witherspoon would regress big time that would have warranted a month long ban. Also being adamant that Reuben Foster would get into another DV incident with the same woman would illicit a perma ban for outright trolling.

Unless Eddie D made a pact with the Devil and what's happening now is payment being due, this team seriously has to catch a break. And when things finally turn around, it will be all the more sweeter for us fans that stuck through the bad times. I force myself to watch these games out of guilt of a ten year hiatus from 49ers football and then finally jumping back on the bandwagon at the 2011 post season when Harbaugh took over. I was a fair weather fan. After watching Joe and Steve tear up the league in my childhood and teen years, seeing the 49ers suck for the first time in my life was unbearable. As amazing as Vernon's catch was, it must have been much sweeter to the fans that stuck it through the Decade of Suck. I want to be that kind of fan.

So I'm going to buy some Niners bumper stickers and decals so that when we make our run, they'll be nice and faded. This is the lowest point of the season for fans but it can only get better from here. I see a 90's Cowboys-like bounce back next season.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
It can only go up from here. If any of us after this offseason even suggested that this team would be 2-14 after losing our newly signed FQB for the season, our newly signed RB for the season, and Witherspoon would regress big time that would have warranted a month long ban. Also being adamant that Reuben Foster would get into another DV incident with the same woman would illicit a perma ban for outright trolling.

Unless Eddie D made a pact with the Devil and what's happening now is payment being due, this team seriously has to catch a break. And when things finally turn around, it will be all the more sweeter for us fans that stuck through the bad times. I force myself to watch these games out of guilt of a ten year hiatus from 49ers football and then finally jumping back on the bandwagon at the 2011 post season when Harbaugh took over. I was a fair weather fan. After watching Joe and Steve tear up the league in my childhood and teen years, seeing the 49ers suck for the first time in my life was unbearable. As amazing as Vernon's catch was, it must have been much sweeter to the fans that stuck it through the Decade of Suck. I want to be that kind of fan.

So I'm going to buy some Niners bumper stickers and decals so that when we make our run, they'll be nice and faded. This is the lowest point of the season for fans but it can only get better from here. I see a 90's Cowboys-like bounce back next season.

We need a major paradigm shift from management. For far to long we have opted to build through the draft. We need to be aggressive with free agency and nail a few drafts to rid ourselves of the boat anchor. Our current roster is a disaster. Lots and lots of work to do. But simply "drafting our way out" of this mess will take a long time.
The worst case scenario happens every single year for this team. I see a pattern here.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The worst case scenario happens every single year for this team. I see a pattern here.

Lol. I've been a Niner fan for about 3 decades, and will quit watching football before I stop rooting for the team, but yeah... pretty much this, at least since the Yorkies took over.
There's some bright spots for next year. We just can't afford to keep making bad draft choices.

The Oline looks good, Jimmy G, Breida, Kittle are solid. The D has Warner, DBuck and RS.
Originally posted by IGSXIII:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Lol. I've been a Niner fan for about 3 decades, and will quit watching football before I stop rooting for the team, but yeah... pretty much this, at least since the Yorkies took over.

Next year! Draft picks! Free agency! New era!

We're the west coast browns.
It just means we got a lot of hope for the upcoming seasons.
We needed another year on the rebuild, everyone getting injured this year was good for getting backups some seasoning. ALl of our injured guys will be back, with more quality surrounding them (hopefully more weapons on O and D)

Sucks that it played out this way, we could have been sitting at 5-6 right now fighting for a spot.
Originally posted by pete98146:
We need a major paradigm shift from management. For far to long we have opted to build through the draft. We need to be aggressive with free agency and nail a few drafts to rid ourselves of the boat anchor. Our current roster is a disaster. Lots and lots of work to do. But simply "drafting our way out" of this mess will take a long time.

Free agency never works. Most of the guys signed to big deals get cut a few years later leaving the team with huge dead money and paying for a player who isn't even on the team anymore.

Look at Andrew Norwell who was a fan favorite in here. 66 million for the 27th best OG. Yet we waited out free agency and signed Person for 850k and he is the 7th ranked OG.

Build through the draft and sign veteran free agents to supplement your roster. The key is not missing out on your picks like we did with Solomon Thomas.
Originally posted by mitpdub:
There's some bright spots for next year. We just can't afford to keep making bad draft choices.

The Oline looks good, Jimmy G, Breida, Kittle are solid. The D has Warner, DBuck and RS.

Why do so many fans leave out Tartt? The guy is solid. Yes he gets hurt alot, but it's usually for a game or two. Not year long injuries.

Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Free agency never works. Most of the guys signed to big deals get cut a few years later leaving the team with huge dead money and paying for a player who isn't even on the team anymore.

Look at Andrew Norwell who was a fan favorite in here. 66 million for the 27th best OG. Yet we waited out free agency and signed Person for 850k and he is the 7th ranked OG.

Build through the draft and sign veteran free agents to supplement your roster. The key is not missing out on your picks like we did with Solomon Thomas.

It's a cold day in hell when I agree with you...hope they have some jackets down there.

Free agency is what helps you fill in gaps and for competitive teams to go all in and add key missing pieces. If you use free agency as the main focus in a rebuild it will be a short rebuild and likely not a very successful one.

One thing is for sure is that this team has faced some rare level cluster fuk last few years. Even when we hit on some draft picks they either retire early - Patrick Willis, Cris Borland, Anthony Davis or they ruin their own careers despite the team giving them multiple chances to change like Aldon and Rueben. Honestly those two are the ones that get me the most....highly talented guys who just couldn't keep their sh*t together. Sucks.

However I do expect this offseason to be a slightly more aggressive one than we're accustomed to by the 49ers. I think Kyle and John understand year 3 has to be a big jump.

Assuming we lose out here(hoping for it) we're looking at #1 overall and an impact player who fits our top need to a T in Nick Bosa I'm hoping it's a sign that things will be turning around for us(inb4 we win a couple more games and he goes to Arizona)

The reason I'm not ready to trash this regime is because I think we have the keys to a successful team in today's NFL. That is a top QB and a great offensive mind, and before the "Kyle is an OC not a HC" crowd comes in here...good luck keeping a highly skilled OC without making him a HC in today's league.

We are a vastly different team with Jimmy. Get him back healthy with McKinnon and a healthy Breida, this OL and an upgraded WR group and this offense will put up points in bunches.

Add a pass rusher like Bosa and others(good FA class to add depth there) and this defense doesn't have to be elite. It just has to create some turnovers and force mistakes. Right now our offense isn't putting the pressure on the other team as it would with Jimmy being healthy and our defense doesnt' have the guys who can pin their ears back and cause havoc.

It's been a very s**tty season. So much optimism and excitement going into this offseason only to have it squashed by Jimmy's injury, the decline in play by the young promising defenders and then Reuben taking a big ol steamer on the season.

I'm ready for next year already but I do agree...it will get better and I think drafting our way out is still key to the process but John and Kyle hopefully have learned some valuable lessons from that 2017 draft. I still can't blame them for taking Foster, you take that risk and it just blew up in our face unfortunately. Saints were right behind us about to make that risk. Thomas is a disappointment but I still think we were in a bad spot with that draft class.

Have to move forward and hope we get some luck staying healthy and dig ourselves out of this disaster.
Originally posted by genus49:
It's a cold day in hell when I agree with you...hope they have some jackets down there.

Free agency is what helps you fill in gaps and for competitive teams to go all in and add key missing pieces. If you use free agency as the main focus in a rebuild it will be a short rebuild and likely not a very successful one.

One thing is for sure is that this team has faced some rare level cluster fuk last few years. Even when we hit on some draft picks they either retire early - Patrick Willis, Cris Borland, Anthony Davis or they ruin their own careers despite the team giving them multiple chances to change like Aldon and Rueben. Honestly those two are the ones that get me the most....highly talented guys who just couldn't keep their sh*t together. Sucks.

However I do expect this offseason to be a slightly more aggressive one than we're accustomed to by the 49ers. I think Kyle and John understand year 3 has to be a big jump.

Assuming we lose out here(hoping for it) we're looking at #1 overall and an impact player who fits our top need to a T in Nick Bosa I'm hoping it's a sign that things will be turning around for us(inb4 we win a couple more games and he goes to Arizona)

The reason I'm not ready to trash this regime is because I think we have the keys to a successful team in today's NFL. That is a top QB and a great offensive mind, and before the "Kyle is an OC not a HC" crowd comes in here...good luck keeping a highly skilled OC without making him a HC in today's league.

We are a vastly different team with Jimmy. Get him back healthy with McKinnon and a healthy Breida, this OL and an upgraded WR group and this offense will put up points in bunches.

Add a pass rusher like Bosa and others(good FA class to add depth there) and this defense doesn't have to be elite. It just has to create some turnovers and force mistakes. Right now our offense isn't putting the pressure on the other team as it would with Jimmy being healthy and our defense doesnt' have the guys who can pin their ears back and cause havoc.

It's been a very s**tty season. So much optimism and excitement going into this offseason only to have it squashed by Jimmy's injury, the decline in play by the young promising defenders and then Reuben taking a big ol steamer on the season.

I'm ready for next year already but I do agree...it will get better and I think drafting our way out is still key to the process but John and Kyle hopefully have learned some valuable lessons from that 2017 draft. I still can't blame them for taking Foster, you take that risk and it just blew up in our face unfortunately. Saints were right behind us about to make that risk. Thomas is a disappointment but I still think we were in a bad spot with that draft class.

Have to move forward and hope we get some luck staying healthy and dig ourselves out of this disaster.

Well you said it in the Solomon thread. Its not all doom and gloom. They have added some building blocks. McGlinchey, Kittle and Breida are stars. Pettis, Bourne and James are nice pieces. Goodwin is having a poor year but he has been injured a ton. A receiving group of Goodwin, Pettis, Bourne and James is pretty good. We still lack that true #1 stud but those guys are hard to find and our offense will go through Kittle anyways.

If Goodwin can stay healthy next year, Pettis and Bourne develop and we get Garappolo and MacKinnon back this is going to be a deadly offense.

We need to go all in on D. Sign some quality veterans to shore up the secondary. Maybe break the bank to get CJ Mosely from Baltimore and an End like Clowney.

Use the draft to get defensive playmakers at LEO, CB and S.
I can only dream of a D like this:

Sign:

MLB- CJ Mosely
DE- Jadeveon Clowney
NT- Danny Shelton
SAM/DE- Markus Golden
CB- Bradley Roby

Draft:

1.1: DE- Nick Bosa
2- FS- Lukas Dennis

5T- Nick Bosa / Arik Armstead
1T- Danny Shelton / Solomon Thomas
3T- DeForest Buckner
LEO- Jadeveon Clowney / Markus Golden

WILL- Fred Warner
SAM- CJ Mosely
SAM- Markus Golden

CB- Richard Sherman
CB- Bradley Roby
NB- K'Wuann Williams
SS- Jaquiski Tartt
FS- Lukas Dennis
Let's just hope we draft guys that live up to their hype. Lot's of other teams go through what we are now and some have been doing it for decades. Drafting just isn't a science. You take your best shot and hope the guys play up to your expectations. Sometimes you just can't see character issues and if you do you think you can control them. It happens all the time in the NFL. Injuries are unavoidable and sometimes your just unlucky. I went back and looked at the draft grades that the Niners got the last 2 seasons. They averaged out to about a B with some as low as C and others as high as A. 2017 certainly didn't work out the way everyone thought and 2018 is still a work in progress although it is looking better. Let's keep hoping for a better 2019.
One could argue in some weird way this year could be a blessing. We all wanted to be good this year but unless Jimmy turned into Aaron Rodgers we most likely were another year or so away. Hit rock bottom this year with a lot to do because of injuries....one more year of top 2 or 3 draft picks then start to make progress next year.

All of that depends on Lynch actually making good picks.....but if we don't screw this up and land the 1st overall pick for Bosa....maybe not such a bad thing
Share 49ersWebzone