LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 245 users in the forums

Thoughts after SF vs GB.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
1) Was surprise by CJ's play and competitiveness vs Rodgers in GB, though GB's defense is pretty bad. Did not think he was going to step up as well as he did but he is always coming up short, this could be due to experience and trying too hard to carry the team on his back as he has a lot of heart. However his play through out this game showed why CJ was drafted and is the backup to Jimmy G, can make most throws needed to win in the NFL and is better than most backup in the NFL. Would not be surprise if he continue to develop and matures, he might be snatch up by a needy team when his contract is up with the 9ers.

2) Why didn't they at least run out the clock on the last drive (rush the ball) to go OT, if they can't get a winning TD/FG, so GB and Rodgers had zero chance to march down the field for a winning FG (GB had no TO left) for the win, instead of CJ passing on 3rd and 3 and took the risk for INT which they call it that (though I feel the ball touched the ground and was a incomplete)? This is on the coaches' play calling on the last drive and CJ decision making and inability to audible for a rushing play instead of passing one. That pass was risky and resulted in a INT or if it was a incomplete basically stop the clock for GB to make a last chance winning drive for FG. Otherwise I thought Kyle did great on the offensive play calling through out the game.

3) The 9er defense: Greg Mabin, who the f**k is this undrafted scrub guarding GB's top WR??? He was on Adams (132 yds and 2 TD) on GB's last TD drive and also on the game winning FG drive and of course Rodgers wouldn't pass that mismatch up, he abused Mabin on all the big plays on those 2 drives. Was Jimmy Ward hurt (he's always hurt)? Ward wasn't on the field on those 2 drives and was the one guarding Adams (GB's best WR) most of the game. Why wasn't Sherman on Adams the whole game? This is on Robert Saleh, get your best players to defend their best players in order to win the matches and the game. I thought most of the secondary played slow and missed coverages. 1st rounders Arik Armstead and Solomon Thomas got some pressure but was always a step behind. Ruben Foster was also always a step behind and missed a bunch of tackles, he didn't look the part of a 1st round pick and with all his off field issues since drafted could be a bust if he doesn't step up his play on the field sooner rather than later.

4) WRs: Goodwin is great, he is a keeper. Garcon continue to disappoint, don't know if it's his health but he looks old enough to retire even Anquan Boldin was better when he was with the 9ers. He needs to be cut after this season so they can use his money toward a legit #1 WR in free agency or draft a #1 WR and bring in some more young talents to compete for the 2nd and 3rd WR spot.

5) 1-5, I thought it was a competitive game to watch. To lose that way in the end was pretty bad but at least they get to draft high next season and identify the weaknesses on the team and bad decisions that are producing losses instead of wins. They need more solid consistent and/or dominate players on defense for a championship one, the offense needs a legit #1 WR and they would be set with Kyle's offense but they need to know when to pass and when to run the ball to burn the clock so the opposing team has no chance to come back like in that SB game ATL vs NE. And Robert Saleh, he seems decent as DC, but I don't know and have doubts if he has what it takes to coordinate a championship defense... but it could also be the players not getting it done or stepping up cause they are not.
[ Edited by ChillninDaBay on Oct 16, 2018 at 6:50 AM ]
  • Stud
Marvin has disappeared so I have no problem with someone else doing the "after the game" thoughts.

My thoughts. We blew it. After the kickoff and with the 15 yard penalty against GB, we needed maybe 20 yards to get into field goal range to win the game, and it was a disaster, finished by the interception. That was terrible. Worse of all, it gave Rodgers 1:07 to get GB into field goal range. And that's what happened. This team is a disaster.
Originally posted by Stud:
Marvin has disappeared so I have no problem with someone else doing the "after the game" thoughts.

My thoughts. We blew it. After the kickoff and with the 15 yard penalty against GB, we needed maybe 20 yards to get into field goal range to win the game, and it was a disaster, finished by the interception. That was terrible. Worse of all, it gave Rodgers 1:07 to get GB into field goal range. And that's what happened. This team is a disaster.

The interception was as good as a punt considering that Beathard was going to be sacked if he didn't throw it. Which in the long run would have been better because time would have kept ticking.
First,

We all love Marvin, and he must be super busy. So I was going to take a stab at temporarily filling his void. I may do an awful job, I'm definitely not trying to take his place or suggest that I know more than anyone here. Some of you guys could run circles around me with your football knowledge, just thought I'd give it a shot since I love the "thought's after re-watching the game" posts so much...enjoy!

1) Shanahan - He called a great game last night. The first drive where we were mixing runs, PA, and quick passes to get us the first bite of Cheese on the night was exciting. All game, he gave us great calls; guys were open, lanes were created, plays were there. I noticed multiple times when the camera would zoom in on the GB defensive line who were looking up at the replay with a "what just happened" kind of glance. We had them, Kyle knew, the fans knew it, GB knew it. I love that. 4th quarter though, something changed. I'm Not sure if it was just the level of professionalism, or gamesmanship difference between the teams, nerves, anxiety, or whatever but we roody poohed and big time. We went away from what we were doing and looked scared...like a team that knew it was going to get beat still hoping GB would screw it up. We can't close games like that, they will get away from us.

2) Marvin has said multiple times he isn't quite sold on Breida. I'm about 70/30. I was impressed with the fact that he played, and was on a strong pace for big numbers. Numerous times, you could tell his ankle was hurting but he toughed it out. Madden 19 should take noticed. props to him. Quick feet, good burst, no hesitation hitting his lanes..if he stays healthy I think he hits 1k this year.

3) CJ - He just keeps winning people over. He's becoming a fan favorite just because he lays it all on the line, and you can compete with guys like him. 2 things I noticed throughout the game. 1 ) He seems to want to stay loyal to the play call. Never really checking out of a play, or calling a hot route. Not sure if it's his comfortability, or his personality but a few checks when they were throwing the kitchen sink would have been opportunities for key plays. 2) Batted passes...funny thing about them is, Perry wasn't even really needing to jump. he would jump then move his arm down and bat the pass. He must have noticed something on film, because he got 3 of them last night and 2 I believe were after good gains on 1st down that sort of deflated the momentum of a previously good play. We'll see if they try to coach CJ on the as the year goes on.

4) Blair, Day, Defo, Thomas, (Armstead too...sort of)- I was really trying to pay attention to the defense. it seemed to be that when these 4 particularly were on the field together, is when we would generate the most pressure and move #12 from the pocket. If our DBs could cover better, it would generate better sack numbers, because we are right there.

5) Offensive line - These guys were awesome on the run. You could tell they were having fun, driving the pile, pushing the D-line around and making space for Breida and Mostert. 2 things I noticed....1st half, they did a good job on picking up the blitz, still gave CJ some open windows. 2nd, half, it's like they failed to adjust to where GB made changes. Especially on all the drives in the 4th. After we shut down GB 4th and goal, they just beat us. Stuffed the run, and got pressure to force a pass shot of the first down. Again. Is that on Shanahan? is it on CJ not checking, or the Line for not hitting assignments?

6) Foster/ Warner - We have the double-mint twins again. Sideline to sideline, in on almost every tackle, all over the field. What's exciting to me is that they are playing together, but not really playing as one. When they start doing that, It's going to be awesome. They have potential to be a great duo following in some other recent footsteps hopefully. MY ONLY concern...Last year. Watching foster, he seemed to be a bit more aggressive and attacking more. This year it seems he's dropping back more, making less break throughs on the line, and doing more sideline to sideline work. I don't know if it's good or bad, but the one thing about him is his ability to sniff out a play and blow it up, and I feel like we are taking that away from him...

7) Goodwin. Last night he was %100 and you could see it. He was easily the fastest guy on the field. The route he ran on his 2nd touchdown was a piece of art, and I loved how he was catching turning and getting down to avoid big hits like Isaac bruce did. Him staying healthy is a huge key for our O. Being able to open the playbook and chuck it downfield makes us dangerous to teams thinking they have an easy win going forward.

8) Amari Cooper - We passed on Gordon (he could have made that catch that was intercepted at the end), we tried for Khalil Mack. I know we have pettis and bourne, but with Garcon not as effective as last year. I wonder if we should try and nab him from Oakland. Give him a slight change of scenery. He's young, he's proven, and I think he would be a great fit for our offense. Could be a key piece that we wouldn't have to address in the draft next year.

Iastly, it is tough being a niner fan. I feel for all of us. We had the worst defense in franchise history 2 years ago, then with last year getting Jimmy and the hope that he brought. Then came the hype from this summer getting Mckinnon, and Sherman, thinking we had young Studs on Defense. ugh....goodness, I guess that's why they call it hype...sometimes it just doesn't pan out.

John Maxwell says everything rises and falls on leadership. I am interested to see how Kyle and John respond to this season. Do they dig their heels in the ground and say "we are going to stick to what we believe is right" or do they try to adjust and re-invent themselves (I.E. knowing that maybe their roster evaluation isn't always the best, or re-evaluating their draft selection paradigm) following an unexpected obstacle in their 6 year rebuild plan.

I love this team. I love seeing the Red & Gold. I love the faithful. Theres glory in suffering friends. Our time will come. It may be with Kyle and Lynch and it may not be. Only time will tell. Buy jerseys (I'd stick with all time greats for now) buy souvenirs, and on gamely, grab your kids and teach them the 49er way...our time will come.

Heres to the rest of the season. Go niners!

I made a similar threat, I actually didn't see this prior. I would have just posted here...mods can get rid of mine, or move it or w/e. Good post man
playcalling has to be better in the 4th quarter when you're in a tight situation. Otherwise, we're probably not going to perform that well in the playoffs when our roster gets to the point of actually being good......
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
playcalling has to be better in the 4th quarter when you're in a tight situation. Otherwise, we're probably not going to perform that well in the playoffs when our roster gets to the point of actually being good......

not going to happen from KS. He is probably over confident in his abilities, so he won't ever change. Just need the players to carry out his vision, I don't think we have them.

My biggest gripe was that we threw the ball on 2nd and 3rd down with 3 yards to go at midfield. Run the damn ball at least once. GB had no timeouts. Even if we didn't get the first down we would have punted the ball and only given Rodgers about 30 seconds instead of 1:07.
It is what it is, I had the feeling all game that we would be teased & hang around just long enough, but not be able to come up with the win. On to next week, just want improvement from young players & no more injuries please & thank you!
The silver lining here is we are still in position to get a top five pick even though I know the top 2 picks are going to the bills or the Cardinals but still a top five pick.

The nation saw how good the Niners are while dealing with major injuries right now we would easily be 4-2 with Garoppolo no debate on that one so next year's gonna be good.

Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
First,

We all love Marvin, and he must be super busy. So I was going to take a stab at temporarily filling his void. I may do an awful job, I'm definitely not trying to take his place or suggest that I know more than anyone here. Some of you guys could run circles around me with your football knowledge, just thought I'd give it a shot since I love the "thought's after re-watching the game" posts so much...enjoy!

1) Shanahan - He called a great game last night. The first drive where we were mixing runs, PA, and quick passes to get us the first bite of Cheese on the night was exciting. All game, he gave us great calls; guys were open, lanes were created, plays were there. I noticed multiple times when the camera would zoom in on the GB defensive line who were looking up at the replay with a "what just happened" kind of glance. We had them, Kyle knew, the fans knew it, GB knew it. I love that. 4th quarter though, something changed. I'm Not sure if it was just the level of professionalism, or gamesmanship difference between the teams, nerves, anxiety, or whatever but we roody poohed and big time. We went away from what we were doing and looked scared...like a team that knew it was going to get beat still hoping GB would screw it up. We can't close games like that, they will get away from us.

2) Marvin has said multiple times he isn't quite sold on Breida. I'm about 70/30. I was impressed with the fact that he played, and was on a strong pace for big numbers. Numerous times, you could tell his ankle was hurting but he toughed it out. Madden 19 should take noticed. props to him. Quick feet, good burst, no hesitation hitting his lanes..if he stays healthy I think he hits 1k this year.

3) CJ - He just keeps winning people over. He's becoming a fan favorite just because he lays it all on the line, and you can compete with guys like him. 2 things I noticed throughout the game. 1 ) He seems to want to stay loyal to the play call. Never really checking out of a play, or calling a hot route. Not sure if it's his comfortability, or his personality but a few checks when they were throwing the kitchen sink would have been opportunities for key plays. 2) Batted passes...funny thing about them is, Perry wasn't even really needing to jump. he would jump then move his arm down and bat the pass. He must have noticed something on film, because he got 3 of them last night and 2 I believe were after good gains on 1st down that sort of deflated the momentum of a previously good play. We'll see if they try to coach CJ on the as the year goes on.

4) Blair, Day, Defo, Thomas, (Armstead too...sort of)- I was really trying to pay attention to the defense. it seemed to be that when these 4 particularly were on the field together, is when we would generate the most pressure and move #12 from the pocket. If our DBs could cover better, it would generate better sack numbers, because we are right there.

5) Offensive line - These guys were awesome on the run. You could tell they were having fun, driving the pile, pushing the D-line around and making space for Breida and Mostert. 2 things I noticed....1st half, they did a good job on picking up the blitz, still gave CJ some open windows. 2nd, half, it's like they failed to adjust to where GB made changes. Especially on all the drives in the 4th. After we shut down GB 4th and goal, they just beat us. Stuffed the run, and got pressure to force a pass shot of the first down. Again. Is that on Shanahan? is it on CJ not checking, or the Line for not hitting assignments?

6) Foster/ Warner - We have the double-mint twins again. Sideline to sideline, in on almost every tackle, all over the field. What's exciting to me is that they are playing together, but not really playing as one. When they start doing that, It's going to be awesome. They have potential to be a great duo following in some other recent footsteps hopefully. MY ONLY concern...Last year. Watching foster, he seemed to be a bit more aggressive and attacking more. This year it seems he's dropping back more, making less break throughs on the line, and doing more sideline to sideline work. I don't know if it's good or bad, but the one thing about him is his ability to sniff out a play and blow it up, and I feel like we are taking that away from him...

7) Goodwin. Last night he was %100 and you could see it. He was easily the fastest guy on the field. The route he ran on his 2nd touchdown was a piece of art, and I loved how he was catching turning and getting down to avoid big hits like Isaac bruce did. Him staying healthy is a huge key for our O. Being able to open the playbook and chuck it downfield makes us dangerous to teams thinking they have an easy win going forward.

8) Amari Cooper - We passed on Gordon (he could have made that catch that was intercepted at the end), we tried for Khalil Mack. I know we have pettis and bourne, but with Garcon not as effective as last year. I wonder if we should try and nab him from Oakland. Give him a slight change of scenery. He's young, he's proven, and I think he would be a great fit for our offense. Could be a key piece that we wouldn't have to address in the draft next year.

Iastly, it is tough being a niner fan. I feel for all of us. We had the worst defense in franchise history 2 years ago, then with last year getting Jimmy and the hope that he brought. Then came the hype from this summer getting Mckinnon, and Sherman, thinking we had young Studs on Defense. ugh....goodness, I guess that's why they call it hype...sometimes it just doesn't pan out.

John Maxwell says everything rises and falls on leadership. I am interested to see how Kyle and John respond to this season. Do they dig their heels in the ground and say "we are going to stick to what we believe is right" or do they try to adjust and re-invent themselves (I.E. knowing that maybe their roster evaluation isn't always the best, or re-evaluating their draft selection paradigm) following an unexpected obstacle in their 6 year rebuild plan.

I love this team. I love seeing the Red & Gold. I love the faithful. Theres glory in suffering friends. Our time will come. It may be with Kyle and Lynch and it may not be. Only time will tell. Buy jerseys (I'd stick with all time greats for now) buy souvenirs, and on gamely, grab your kids and teach them the 49er way...our time will come.

Heres to the rest of the season. Go niners!

Great post. Don't agree 100% with everything but great post.
  • bud49
  • Veteran
After Green Bay not to bad of thoughts. But watching this Cardinal and Broncos game makes me sick knowing the Niners got beat by such a scrub team.
Originally posted by bud49:
After Green Bay not to bad of thoughts. But watching this Cardinal and Broncos game makes me sick knowing the Niners got beat by such a scrub team.

As a comparison in Horse Racing when you win a race and the horses that you beat come back to win their next race, it makes your win look better.

In this case, the horse (cards) that beat us is getting beat by 15 lengths by another slow horse (Broncos) which makes our defeat by the Cards even worse!

GO NINERS!
[ Edited by Curlin on Oct 18, 2018 at 8:21 PM ]

I think Marvin has PTSD after JG went down.
Good holdover while Marvin is on his hiatus. Hope to see thoughts/observations after the Niners and Rams game.
Share 49ersWebzone