There are 208 users in the forums

The end of losing is nowhere

Shop Find 49ers gear online
in sight. Sherman is done and Witherspoon isn't getting it done. That leaves the 49ers needing at least 2 CB's,outside pass rush is pathetic,safety play poor at best,need another RB even if McKinnon comes back healthy,and that's just a start. Our new front office has done a really poor job spending money on players to help the roster.
Time to retool this rebuild
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:

I expect several players to be released after the season. Sherman,Gilliam and Marsh just to start.
Yeah, this needed a new thread.....
We are certainly not reloading.
Originally posted by SanFranFanfrmVa:
I expect several players to be released after the season. Sherman,Gilliam and Marsh just to start.

I hope Lynch and Saleh are also released.
  • Morgy
  • Hey bud, what’s your problem?
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:

Garcon
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:

I hope Lynch and Saleh are also released.

Throw in Coyle and any other freakin stench from Seattle.
in sight. Sherman is done and Witherspoon isn't getting it done. That leaves the 49ers needing at least 2 CB's,outside pass rush is pathetic,safety play poor at best,need another RB even if McKinnon comes back healthy,and that's just a start. Our new front office has done a really poor job spending money on players to help the roster.

Or we could just not panic?

Sherman has been great so far, don't see any issues with him, as long as the injury isn't serious, I can't see why he doesn't come back. Breida is still the NFL's leading rusher and seems to be playing with a lot more confidence, hitting holes decisively. With him, Morris and with McKinnon coming back, RB isn't really a major need.

Largely the biggest and main need is improving the outside pass rush, getting a rotation of guys with speed that can force the QB to go on the move and make life easier for Buckner. We've known that for awhile,I'm expecting it is something they will be addressing in FA and via the draft. Improve the pass rush and now the CB's and the secondary as a whole has it a lot easier in terms of not having to hang back in coverage forever. Beyond that you see a lot of these younger guys make young player mistakes, like Fred Warner did. As long as they show improvement throughout the season and that they are learning from their mistakes, that is all you can hope for at this point.

If I had to rank the needs on the roster, it would go as follows:

A. Edge rusher
B. Edge rusher
C. Edge rusher
D. Right guard
E. Playmaking TE that can serve as another redzone threat alongside Kittle. Kyle loves 2 TE sets and having another major receiving threat would create major matchup issues for a lot of defenses.
Not all Virginia fans are giving up

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Yeah man, this isn't like Virginia Tech getting worked by Old Dominion.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Yeah man, this isn't like Virginia Tech getting worked by Old Dominion.

I know some of my buddies here in the Norfolk region who are ODU alum. They are recovering from the post party after effects of the upset lol.

Funny thought, but Saturday morning I was thinking ODU needed a signature win. And then boom this happens.
This is a good thread for gathering the negative nancies, we're a decent team in year 2 of a rebuild, that's done some great work and has had some really bad luck. You thought they would sign 6 year deals to take shortcuts?
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
This is a good thread for gathering the negative nancies, we're a decent team in year 2 of a rebuild, that's done some great work and has had some really bad luck. You thought they would sign 6 year deals to take shortcuts?

You think just because they have 6-year contracts they will only try to win a Super Bowl in their 6th year? LOL.

Seriously, just like any job, if you want to make sure your job is secure, they should have done a heck a lot more in free agency and signed a few proper impact players ala Rams style.

Outside expectations even thought we could be knocking on the door in getting to the playoffs. Unfortunately, they are sadly mistaken.

But, in reality, what have you noticed in the past 3 games? A distinct lack of talent or let's just say our level of talent is inferior to that of many teams. What has been the common theme? We just can't match up!! For example, our WRs simply can't get open, hence why poor Jimmy G has been holding the ball for so much longer.

We are soooooooo ridiculously far from where we need to be even in the context of Lynch having a 6-year contract. To top it off, he ain't that great in drafting neither. He already blew our No.3 overall pick on a bust in Solomon Thomas, Joe Williams couldn't even make the team, Beathard is a garbage back-up QB, the list just goes on and on.

Based on what I've seen, if Lynch wants to give himself multiple chances in winning a Super Bowl, he would only be smart to start mounting a campaign starting next year in year 3 the very latest. But, in order to be ready for that, he will have to have a perfect draft plus doing a Rams job in free agency to lock down some serious heavy weight talents.

This is the NFL, teams are super competitive and there is no free lunch. If he ends up fielding a similar team to this current one come next year, not only will he never get the job done, the team will even regularly get smoked.

For our sake and his own sake, Lynch better get his act together quick in the coming offseason, otherwise things could end in a pool of tears sooner rather than later.
The coach and GM received six year contracts because we were a total dumpster fire, a s**t show, a laughingstock, and no credible coaches or executives would risk their reputation on this team.

We are two years in, finding Jimmy was great, but it raised expectations beyond reasonable levels, hype. Our starting roster is strong, and talented, but we are still missing a few key pieces.

We lack any depth and a few intuited are enough to derail this season, the loss of Jimmy has exposed this. The play offs were a reasonable expectation if players stayed healthy, and things broke their way.

I think taking the long look and considering the six year contracts, the plan would be to be a super bowl competitive team in year four or five, we are in year two.

As bad as this team was, the only real choice we have is to stay the course. Kyle may have to make some changes on his staff, and Jon will have to find us 5-6 starters, and build depth.
Share 49ersWebzone