There are 308 users in the forums

Week 1 2018 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by TheRickestRick:
Looked like a young team with high expectations facing one of the NFLs best under the bright lights in a loud AF stadium.

If this were a bad team they would of crumpled and it would have been a blowout. But they hung in there under some unique circumstances and were still in a position to win in the 4th quarter. For one of the youngest teams, there was allot of positive to be gained from an ugly loss.

One thing I want from KS though... anytime JG has a great throw dropped by a receiver... call a screen or run the f*cking ball on the next play. Jimmy has been overcompensating after a bad drop leading to an interception. Happened in preseason too.

As to the point of the 9ers hanging in there, this is VERY reminiscent of last yrs 5 games of losing by 3pts or less...and those were 5 CONSECUTIVE games where we were obviously out- talented. Well, that was MN. They out-talented us and still we kept in the game. As noted, the fumble on Goal line, the miss by Pettis, and Goodwin and a rare drop by Kittle...sooo close yet when you watched the game, it looked like MN was just beating us bloody. And still we were right there. Say what you will...those are all good signs. Yes it was a loss but after the game....you just felt we let one get away. And we WERE out-talented...why is that? Oh, and kyle was not his usual hot self. His playcalls left something to be desired. I don't remember the last time that happened.

Sure hope Fromm now on our DBs take a look for the ball BEFORE the receiver has it in his hands. That was really poor. Oh, and Goal line play calls. Coach, you gotta come up with something better next time.
My thoughts are as follows. Colbert played like a 7th rounder.
Originally posted by NJNiner:

Didn't really pay attention to him. But I will say Cousins was spinning that ball real well. Great placement and touch. And he's got great skill players.

Wouldn't mind Kirk cousins right now as our QB. I bet shanny wouldn't either. Still take JG long term.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by susweel:
You left out the part where Jimmy G single handedly cost us the game by throwing perfect passes to the other team.

Total BS and sheer trolling for effect.

Look at his stat 45 qb rating, 3 picks, less than 50 % completion rate. The defense played well enough to win. Our $137 million qb cost us the game.

So what you're telling me is he is the only person that played bad, and made a critical errors? The three td drops(one of which would have prevented that pick 6), the atrocious pass blocking and run blocking, the fumble on the one yard line, and the false start penalty. None of that effected the outcome is what you're telling me? You're trolling or small-minded no way of sugar coating. He played like crap, but to say he single handily cost us the game is childish, and simply the easy way out.

I don't think anyone is saying he played well, or none of the blame should be put on him, if they are they're biased. But to put the blame on one person when there were a ton of critical errors is just ridiculous.

The irony is that the same people who say 5 games was to small of a sample size to anoint him, are the same people who are saying he was exposed on Sunday after 1 game. Brady and Montana had multiple three pick games. A lot of people on offense played like crap against the vikings on Sunday. Thankfully we won't be playing to many defenses on that tier this year. Lets see how he responds.
Some clips of the Vikings game

Originally posted by NYniner85:

Extreme violence.
Originally posted by NCommand:
One thing that is rarely talked about is personnel choices made by the coaching staff and these can be just as big as the game itself. IMHO, there were several questionable personnel moves in week 1 by Shanahan/Saleh but after watching the tape, maybe they get it right for game 2? Let's wait and see...

Bourne over James (this was a game where James could have stressed their defense with creativity; coming out of the backfield as a pass catcher, hand offs, jet sweeps, etc. b/c the stretch runs would be useless this game esp. with McKinnon out)
Celek over Wick (Celek was terrible in run blocking this game; game plan was for passing to Kittle and run inside so Wick > Celek)
Coyle over Lee (when you knew Dalvin Cook would own Coyle in space out at the WILL)
Ward over Reed (Ward played 5 snaps and still gave up a critical 3rd down)
Mitchell over Jones (just move Mitchell to FB already)

Great post, NC....and I especially agree with you about the choice of Bourne over James... WTF?????? The NIners could certainly have used James after Goodwin went down. I do think DJ Jones played though. I heard his name called on the radio broadcast a couple of times.

Incidentally, I really don't like that rule that states only 46 guys can suit up on game day. Too many injuries in the league to justify that rule any longer. Just ridiculous.

Cheers!
Originally posted by longterm9erfan:
Great post, NC....and I especially agree with you about the choice of Bourne over James... WTF?????? The NIners could certainly have used James after Goodwin went down. I do think DJ Jones played though. I heard his name called on the radio broadcast a couple of times.

Incidentally, I really don't like that rule that states only 46 guys can suit up on game day. Too many injuries in the league to justify that rule any longer. Just ridiculous.

Cheers!

Thank you. Yes, Jones played but only got 20 snaps to Mitchell's 32. Jones should be getting all of those snaps or at least, switched in snap counts.

I think everyone agrees with you about that...it's an archaic rule!
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NJNiner:

So was Tartt for that matter...
Good stuff as usual 👏 I always look forward to reading this

Good stuff as usual 👏 I always look forward to reading this

Tartt played a heck of a game!
Originally posted by jcs:
So was Tartt for that matter...

Tartt was a 2nd Rd pick but what does it matter? Colbert blanketed Rudolph most of the Game
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
I agree with a lot of the points made, my summary:

1) A 9er team not yet ready for prime time, but on the way toward it

2) D took a big step up from last year, played well enough for us to win

3) A lot of unforced errors by the O, yet we were still in it to the last posession

4) Jimmy G has to be good with not being able to walk on water and quit forcing the ball to make things happen, just chill Jimmy and let the game come to you

5) Gold star for #47 Elijah Lee who stepped in at the end up the game and nutted up to answer the call

6) Pass pro flat out sucked at times, seemed like Jimmy G was holding on to the ball just a few clicks to long waiting for something to happen

7) Gold Star for #48 Freddie, looked at ease wearing the green dot, made a lot of tackles and played well

8) Kittle is not our long term answer at TE, just not a good enough athlete in the receiving game IMO

I really like Kittle but I tend to agree with you on #8

3) A lot of unforced errors by the O, yet we were still in it to the last posession

4) Jimmy G has to be good with not being able to walk on water and quit forcing the ball to make things happen, just chill Jimmy and let the game come to you

5) Gold star for #47 Elijah Lee who stepped in at the end up the game and nutted up to answer the call

6) Pass pro flat out sucked at times, seemed like Jimmy G was holding on to the ball just a few clicks to long waiting for something to happen

7) Gold Star for #48 Freddie, looked at ease wearing the green dot, made a lot of tackles and played well

8) Kittle is not our long term answer at TE, just not a good enough athlete in the receiving game IMO

#8 huh? Kittle's sparq score was tops among all TEs in that 2017 draft

https://3sigmaathlete.com/archive/2017s/te/

Dude is the 97th percentile in the NFL as far as athletes go...that last statement is pretty off. They will need to upgrade celek but kittle is a star in the making as long as he stays healthy.
  • DaBum
  • Veteran

#8 huh? Kittle's sparq score was tops among all TEs in that 2017 draft

https://3sigmaathlete.com/archive/2017s/te/

Dude is the 97th percentile in the NFL as far as athletes go...that last statement is pretty off. They will need to upgrade celek but kittle is a star in the making as long as he stays healthy.

He led us in receiving, he sucks!!! Wait, wut?

90 yards, was missed by Jimmy when wide open in the end zone and yes, had the bad drop. He was thiiiis close to having a 150+ yd, 2 TD day. Still had a very good 5 for 90.
[ Edited by DaBum on Sep 12, 2018 at 8:01 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone