There are 249 users in the forums

Week 1 2018 - Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Always fun to read your comments after a game Marvin...keep up the good work, man...

I would just like to add to your comments...

1) The Niners are one of the youngest teams in the NFL so it is not surprising that they made some errors in the first game of the season, especially tackling errors. I don't know how these guys practice tackling any more given all of the restraints put on teams now. There was shoddy tackling in many of the games yesterday.

2) Not having Goodwin for much of the game (not to mention both RGs) hurt the team a lot, even though Pettis had a nice game overall. Goodwin stretches the defense, draws a second defender and can simply outrun 90% of the DBs in the league. He is a huge weapon. Considering the team didn't have him or McKinnon yesterday, they did fine.

3) Essentially, the game came down to 2 plays IMHO....the fumble on the goal line by Morris and the pick 6. Take away those two plays and the Niners likely win the game, even with all of the errors, including the dropped passes. That is something to really consider. They're going to get better.

Cheers!
Originally posted by Marvin49:

I for one am not too upset with this one as there were positives if you realize that all the hype in the off-season was a bit premature.

That part. #unbothered.
Originally posted by Regina:
I like the fact that the only team that beat the 9ers yesterday was the 9ers . RZ Insufficientcy was the contributing factor.
Untimely dropped passes and the 3 INTs adds to the mix.

The thing I most admired and hope it tends all season is our discipline. Three penalties . I love that stat.

Go 9ers

3 penalties only, didn't even notice that, playing on the road, in a dome against a tough defense, not too shabby.
Originally posted by Team49ers:
3 penalties only, didn't even notice that, playing on the road, in a dome against a tough defense, not too shabby.

Not to mention a 10am game.
Originally posted by Stanley:

Not to mention a 10am game.

All this. They really played a pretty clean game re: penalties.
Want to mention one more thing and then moving on to this week vs. the Lions.

-In addition to the huge momentum swings of the goal line fumble by Morris and the dropped long pass by Kittle followed right away by the pick-six...two plays that happened in Q4 were very big:

1) At the start of that quarter, Tartt makes a great break on the ball and with a dive is right there for the pick - yet he doesn't make the play. Yes, it would have been a good catch as he's diving, but he did get two hands on it and needs to make that play - playmakers make plays like that (Harrison Smith makes that play) and it would have been huge as the Niners would have had the ball around MN's 30. What happens next? MN punts and on the first play, Jimmy gets picked off on a far tougher, one-handed grab by Rhodes - Rhodes made a play as he does in being a very good CB.

2) The Niners are driving later in the quarter and on 3rd down inside the five, Kittle makes a good move on Harrison and is open for the TD - Jimmy misses him with a pass that's just barely too high. Jimmy will hit that pass next time and probably nine times out of 10 going forward but that was a tough one as they had to settle for the field goal in trying to come back.

We know Jimmy is a playmaker at the most important position, QB...I'm really hoping the younger guys step up and make plays that are there for the taking. Guys like Tartt and Colbert, who both had up-and-down games and I counted at least two missed tackles from each. One of the differences in a team like MN compared to the Niners at this stage is they have established playmakers on both sides of the ball...and, what did they do this last game? Made plays (H. Smith - probably the game's MVP, Rhodes, L. Joseph was a beast on the DL, their edge rushers, Diggs, etc.).
Originally posted by Regina:
I like the fact that the only team that beat the 9ers yesterday was the 9ers . RZ Insufficientcy was the contributing factor.
Untimely dropped passes and the 3 INTs adds to the mix.

The thing I most admired and hope it tends all season is our discipline. Three penalties . I love that stat.

Go 9ers

True but 2 of the 3 were in the RZ backing us up and the other was the Thomas penalty.

But yeah, like the low number overall.
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

-In addition to the huge momentum swings of the goal line fumble by Morris and the dropped long pass by Kittle followed right away by the pick-six...two plays that happened in Q4 were very big:

1) At the start of that quarter, Tartt makes a great break on the ball and with a dive is right there for the pick - yet he doesn't make the play. Yes, it would have been a good catch as he's diving, but he did get two hands on it and needs to make that play - playmakers make plays like that (Harrison Smith makes that play) and it would have been huge as the Niners would have had the ball around MN's 30. What happens next? MN punts and on the first play, Jimmy gets picked off on a far tougher, one-handed grab by Rhodes - Rhodes made a play as he does in being a very good CB.

2) The Niners are driving later in the quarter and on 3rd down inside the five, Kittle makes a good move on Harrison and is open for the TD - Jimmy misses him with a pass that's just barely too high. Jimmy will hit that pass next time and probably nine times out of 10 going forward but that was a tough one as they had to settle for the field goal in trying to come back.

We know Jimmy is a playmaker at the most important position, QB...I'm really hoping the younger guys step up and make plays that are there for the taking. Guys like Tartt and Colbert, who both had up-and-down games and I counted at least two missed tackles from each. One of the differences in a team like MN compared to the Niners at this stage is they have established playmakers on both sides of the ball...and, what did they do this last game? Made plays (H. Smith - probably the game's MVP, Rhodes, L. Joseph was a beast on the DL, their edge rushers, Diggs, etc.).

Agreed.
  • thl408
Originally posted by LottDMontanaO:

Yes those two plays you mentioned were huge, especially the miss to Kittle when he burned Harrison Smith. That would have been a sure TD had it connected. The 49ers ended up settling for a FG on that drive.
I've been very critical of Coyle since last year. He is constantly missing tackles and hitting the wrong holes. Can't wait for Foster next week

Originally posted by FourNine49:
I've been very critical of Coyle since last year. He is constantly missing tackles and hitting the wrong holes. Can't wait for Foster next week

I can't imagine he's better than someone they can find off the street. We only have one more stop-gap game, but as a backup, he's still very underwelming
7) Missed Tackles: There were alot of missed tackles yesterday. The ones that concerned me most were by Adrian Colbert. Its early and perhaps they'll clean that up, but he's got to wrap up.

I saw a LOT of arm tackles in the game that were ran through or shrugged off. I think this is partially because of the way the 49ers teach tackling. They teach "rugby style" arm/shoulder tackling. My understanding is it is an effort to have sound fundamentals that don't contradict NFL contact rules as well as to reduce injuries. I believe Pete started really preaching it the last year Saleh was in Seattle. Saleh has brought it to the 49ers. Maybe the team is continuing to struggle with that, like they are with the no look defend the pass by playing the hands approach tp playing DB that is another trait of Saleh defenses?
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by FourNine49:

I can't imagine he's better than someone they can find off the street. We only have one more stop-gap game, but as a backup, he's still very underwelming

Hell, I think Elijah Lee is a better option. Coyle got exposed in that game.
Looked like a young team with high expectations facing one of the NFLs best under the bright lights in a loud AF stadium.

If this were a bad team they would of crumpled and it would have been a blowout. But they hung in there under some unique circumstances and were still in a position to win in the 4th quarter. For one of the youngest teams, there was allot of positive to be gained from an ugly loss.

One thing I want from KS though... anytime JG has a great throw dropped by a receiver... call a screen or run the f*cking ball on the next play. Jimmy has been overcompensating after a bad drop leading to an interception. Happened in preseason too.
[ Edited by TheRickestRick on Sep 11, 2018 at 3:01 PM ]
One thing that is rarely talked about is personnel choices made by the coaching staff and these can be just as big as the game itself. IMHO, there were several questionable personnel moves in week 1 by Shanahan/Saleh but after watching the tape, maybe they get it right for game 2? Let's wait and see...

Bourne over James (this was a game where James could have stressed their defense with creativity; coming out of the backfield as a pass catcher, hand offs, jet sweeps, etc. b/c the stretch runs would be useless this game esp. with McKinnon out)
Celek over Wick (Celek was terrible in run blocking this game; game plan was for passing to Kittle and run inside so Wick > Celek)
Coyle over Lee (when you knew Dalvin Cook would own Coyle in space out at the WILL)
Ward over Reed (Ward played 5 snaps and still gave up a critical 3rd down)
Mitchell over Jones (just move Mitchell to FB already)
Share 49ersWebzone