LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 255 users in the forums

2018 49ers Preseason Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NJNiner:
I was surprised to see Emanuel Moseley out there running the ball late in the game! Hopefully he can land a spot on special teams.

No chance he makes the team. Maybe practice squad.
I think this preseason is telling us our run game and pass rush won't be any good. Looks like our pass game will be good however.
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
I think this preseason is telling us our run game and pass rush won't be any good. Looks like our pass game will be good however.

Shanahan always has a good run game. Not worried

I think the pass rush is a known problem, but not giving up on the run game yet. The main reason is vanilla game planning. But I do think it is possible the 49ers may be a team that passes to set up the run, rather than the other way around. I think if Shanny gets 100+ yards a game he will be happy with that. Where it could cause a prally have to run and can't (trying to run out a game protecting a lead).
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:

Shanahan always has a good run game. Not worried

Holding out hope that the vanilla Arby's thing is also a vanilla ER thing, Especially with Kiffen's input.
Just watching the game now and this officiating is killing the game. It's barely watchable. Holy s**t!

1st half takeaways:

1. Officiating and these new rules suck. The helmet rule is just embarrassing to the sport. Mostert's ST play was textbook and he's flagged for it. Ridiculous

2. Witherspoon will be up and down this year. He's ascending, but he's going to take plenty of lumps this year. The secondary isn't there yet. Long way to go

3. No pass rush. Harold isn't a pass rusher. He can't do it. Never could.

4. Sheldon Day looks really good. He's an impact player on he interior. Mitchell needs to go. Day and Buckner is a nice interior duo.

5. Pettis is going to be a stud for us. I'm not expecting much from his this season, but it's going to be hard to keep him off the field. He separates effortlessly. That INT was on him though. CJ got him back by overthrowing him on the would-be TD (again).

6. Jimmy and the 1st team offense look good. The run game will come together once the scheming is integrated. The passing attack is going to roll, which will allow the running game to open up.

7. Defense is going to force up into some high scoring games this year. The pass rush and secondary are both suspect. I'm expecting a middle of the road defense (#15-20 in scoring).
...and Beathard is not a starting QB. He's at-best a journeyman and backup that has a long career.
Originally posted by strickac:
...and Beathard is not a starting QB. He's at-best a journeyman and backup that has a long career.

Well that's all we need him to be. What happened to the Mullen's hype?
Okay, I finally saw the Mostert ST tackle and it was a really good angle. His helmet didn't even make any effectual contact with Ervin's body. He took his head about 99.7% out of the play exactly the way it's been coached relative to the new rule. Just the worst possible interpretation of "using helmet to initiate contact," period. #BS
[ Edited by ninerjok on Aug 19, 2018 at 12:02 PM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by strickac:

Yeah, he'll be our backup for the next 10 years. That's not a bad living.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
If the team does not trade for the raiders guy. then call elvis, the pass rush was suspect the day after we cut elvis. it was suspect before and after free agency and draft. oh and please no one start with , well AA should be back and that will help
Just watched the Texans/49ers game that I DVR'd (was out of town). I have to say that was one of the worst officiated games I have ever saw Just bad.
It's beginning to look as though any pass rush we get this year is going to have to come from the center of the line with guys like Buckner, Thomas, Day and Taylor. I thought it was interesting that Taylor started with the ones tonight and was taken out fairly early. They must think he will be a contributor going forward. The edge guys are just going to have to make sure they hold the corners and force everything back into the middle, which of course means that the CB's are going to have to really do their jobs. I think Witherspoon will be okay. Sherman may not play until the season starts so he remains an unknown and the guys behind them have a lot of question marks as well.

Moore has flashed some ability but he may take awhile to really be effective. Powell played better than he did last week but that's not saying a lot. The guy I really want to see is McFadden. Hopefully, when we play the Chargers he will get a good long look. Something is going to have to happen because it looked like the Houston ones were doing just about whatever they wanted on offense. Even in preseason that's not a good sign
I swear lynch better f**king draft at least 2 edge rushers in the first 3 rounds
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
I swear lynch better f**king draft at least 2 edge rushers in the first 3 rounds

Yep, we've been neglecting it for far too long.
Share 49ersWebzone