There are 234 users in the forums

Five Non-Rookies You're Most Eager to Watch in Pre-Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Awake:
1. Jimmy Garopollo, QB
I'm curious to which girl will he choose. The sophisticated and elegant Alexandra King, or the girl next door blonde, that's also really down to earth and one of the guys bartender. Maybe even Emma Watson might make an appearance, who knows but the suspense is killing me.

• Buchy
  • Veteran
I'm going to gloss over Jimmy G because every one of us is keen as he'll to watch him play.

For me it's as follows:

1) Armstead to see if he can turn his physical gifts into ability and become a true starting quality defensive lineman.

2) Kittle as he finished the season strong with Jimmy, he's an athletic freak and I think he has the right mental make up to become a true number one TE. He's in the 95th percentile on SPARQ score.

3) Attachou as I believe he might be something special at LEO, he has sat behind two all pro players and injuries have stopped him fully competing but he really flashes on tape.

4) Joe Williams - can he be what we all think he could be and repay Shanny and Bobby Turner's faith in him. He's going to have to really fight to play with McKinnon and Breida.

5) All of the guards. Bit of a cheat here, but we have three 1st round picks competing for two spots and it's vital to see someone really step up if we have to deal with Suh and Donald...
Originally posted by thl408:
Just from last year's draft class?
1. Thomas - He needs to flash more often as a pass rusher to validate his potential as a game changing type of player. Solid is good, but a top 3 pick needs to be more than solid.

2. Colbert - Can he really be the fixture at FS for this defense? Many flashes last season and I'm hoping it wasn't a flash in the pan. What a gem it would be to find the starting FS - a critical component of this scheme - in the 7th round.

3. Witherspoon - Was showing a good transition into being a Cover3 CB after playing very little zone defense in college. I don't see a reason why he can't be considered as a potential "#1 CB". He has the athletic ability and he has the smarts. Now he gets to learn from one of the best.

4. Kittle - Can he emerge as a threat in the red zone, and can he improve on his run blocking to the point that he is the guy for this offense? Kyle has had possession receiver type TEs (Owen Daniels), and a big play type (Jordan Cameron). Which type is Kittle?

5. Foster - Will he shrug off the off field issues to continue being a a dominant LB?

Still upset that we took Solomon Thomas over fournette. And to all of you people claiming we didn't need a rb well why did we just spend millions on one ????

We could have Jimmy g and fournette right now. I would have even taken lattimore at 3. Instead we are stuck with THIS GUY
  • thl408
Originally posted by acrownlessking:
Still upset that we took Solomon Thomas over fournette. And to all of you people claiming we didn't need a rb well why did we just spend millions on one ????

We could have Jimmy g and fournette right now. I would have even taken lattimore at 3. Instead we are stuck with THIS GUY
There was no way that Kyle was taking a bruiser type like Fournette top5. He brought in Breida, traded up for JWilliams, went hard in FA for Jet, all fast guys that can threaten the edge. But to your point, yes it'd be nice for Solly to validate his draft position.
Sherman
Williams
Pita
Attouchu
Garnett
Buckner - My favorite player on the defense, so I look forward to seeing him refine his overall game. Attack left and right, better hand technique, improved lower-body bend and tidied up this track footwork to turn last year's plethora of pressures into sacks this year, etc. Furthermore, I really want to see if implemented a counter to his signature swim move during the offseason.

Solly - I'm eager to watch Solly's overall comfortability as an edge player in base downs. I want to see him improve his half-man attack, arc footwork, bend through contact and chaining together moves.

Armstead - Is he still going to fire off the ball like a slug out of molasses? Did he do anything to improve his contact balance? Did he add a counter? A finisher? A plan?

DJ/Pita - I'm eager to see more of these two, period.
[ Edited by Heroism on May 15, 2018 at 11:42 AM ]
1. Thomas - He needs to flash more often as a pass rusher to validate his potential as a game changing type of player. Solid is good, but a top 3 pick needs to be more than solid.

2. Colbert - Can he really be the fixture at FS for this defense? Many flashes last season and I'm hoping it wasn't a flash in the pan. What a gem it would be to find the starting FS - a critical component of this scheme - in the 7th round.

3. Witherspoon - Was showing a good transition into being a Cover3 CB after playing very little zone defense in college. I don't see a reason why he can't be considered as a potential "#1 CB". He has the athletic ability and he has the smarts. Now he gets to learn from one of the best.

4. Kittle - Can he emerge as a threat in the red zone, and can he improve on his run blocking to the point that he is the guy for this offense? Kyle has had possession receiver type TEs (Owen Daniels), and a big play type (Jordan Cameron). Which type is Kittle?

5. Foster - Will he shrug off the off field issues to continue being a a dominant LB?

I loved Fournette. One of my highest players on the board, but he was a much better fit for Jax than for us. I think Solomon will do better than people think over the next year and beyond. The guy's work ethic and athletic traits, combined with an actual off-season of work this time (not to mention the pass rush coach we added, who knows how much he might help?), all should collectively give Thomas an edge (okay, pun intended) towards showing some growth as an outside pass rusher.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

I loved Fournette. One of my highest players on the board, but he was a much better fit for Jax than for us. I think Solomon will do better than people think over the next year and beyond. The guy's work ethic and athletic traits, combined with an actual off-season of work this time (not to mention the pass rush coach we added, who knows how much he might help?), all should collectively give Thomas an edge (okay, pun intended) towards showing some growth as an outside pass rusher.

Lol that was a good one.

And i agree mate
Originally posted by Awake:
1. Jimmy Garopollo, QB
I'm curious to which girl will he choose. The sophisticated and elegant Alexandra King, or the girl next door blonde, that's also really down to earth and one of the guys bartender. Maybe even Emma Watson might make an appearance, who knows but the suspense is killing me.

2. Witherspoon, CB
Will he reach his potential and supplant Sherman as the #1 CB in go-cart racing? It's a tall order, but the future doctor has the athletic ability and drive to be great. His progress is something I'll be closely watching.

3. Kittle, TE
How far can he go on FortNite? Will the dominance continue? Or will Trent Taylor be the lead dog? The competition is fierce, hopefully, their friendship can last.

4. Colbert, FS/SS
Will he ever get over the comparison to Goldson? Or will he be resentful toward the fanbase? If he doesn't produce with his new number of 27 the public outcry to go back to Goldson lite will be egregious, to say the least.

5. Sol. Thomas, DE
Can he improve from year 1 to year 2? Hopefully, he's worked on his technique and our new pass rush coach helps him reach new heights.
1. Jimmy Garopollo, QB

This ^ deserves it's own thread

I'm interested to see
#1 Jimmy G - Garcon connection. How much more will the reliable Garcon open up the entire passing offense
#2 Jimmie Ward- IF he's healthy for an entire season, how does he fit into the future of this defense as a CB or is he a short round peg in a tall and long square CB based system
#3aJerry Atachou -Leo
#3b Cassius Marsh -Leo
#3c Pita T-Leo
These guys collectively need to come up big
#4Solomon Thomas- After a full season and off season will he prove the doubters wrong?
#5 K Bourne- Can the undrafted guy stick after the draft brought in a new draft class of WRs? I hope he can
Bonuspick
K Shanahan - Can't wait to see him open it up and stick it to the NFC West

I agree. These guys have the most interesting stories. The OP list is wish fulfillment. Pita and Joe both cuts this year. CJ interesting guy. Garnett obviously better work out. Thomas has a lot riding on this year. AA another red shirt season.

Best post in the Zone in a long time!!

AA - This, IMO, is his make or break season. He has to realize that and we'll see if he can produce.

Joe Williams - KS really wanted him and gave him time to recoup. Hopefully he justifies KS's faith in him. It would be incredible if he can do it. He & McKinnon would be an excellent RB combo.

Sherman - I know he's got a fire in his gut and I feel he'll set the demeanor for the whole D!

Malcolm Smith - I'm really curious if he'll make an impact and really looking forward to seeing him on the field.

Garnett - This one is huge! If he can turn it all around our OLine will be protecting our FQB and our running game will open up.
Great thread and write-up
[ Edited by StubbyNBY on May 16, 2018 at 1:07 PM ]
Joe Williams: I feel like this kid will be a boom or bust. Really excited if not intrigued to watch in the pre-season. He has the size and talent, the question is, can he stay focused and hold onto to the ball.... Really hoping this kid pans out.

Jerry Attaochu: I have a really good feeling about this kid and I am excited to watch him play at the LEO and also probably at the SAM OLB Rush Spot. I think he will be a very good situational pass rusher for us and I can see him topping his 6 sack 2015 performance with a 7-9 sack outing for us this year. I really think he was a very good, under the radar signing.

Pita Taumoepenu: This guy I am not as sure with as I am with Attaochu. The team obviously likes Pita and has high hopes for him as they did not draft any other SAM/Leo guys to compete with him. He's put on about 10pds of muscle which he badly needed. I would take him being a very good back-up ST's guy and anything else is a bonus IMO. If he can beat out Eli Harold or replace him at some point, that would obviously be a huge bonus but I think he is a good NFL back-up/situational guy in my eyes but I hope he surprises me and turns into more...

Joshua Garnett: Really hoping this kid has a great camp and pre-season and ends up starting at one of the guard spots.

Cole Hikutini: I really thought the 49ers would draft a tight end in the later rounds in a pretty deep TE draft. They must really like this kid who I think can be a really solid receiving/situational NFL tight end and could do some damage and cause match-up problems with Shanny utilizing him properly. Keep an eye out on this kid....
[ Edited by StubbyNBY on May 17, 2018 at 8:14 AM ]
Kentavious Street
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
One guy that I'm interested in seeing that hasn't been discussed much is Jonathan Cooper. I know he's a bust. I know he's played poorly and has been injured. I'm not expecting anything from him.

I do think it'll be interesting to follow because of the emphasis the team has put on scheme fit. Will he be able to perform better in this scheme than others he's been in? I've read mixed reviews about his play last season, too. Lynch said that he "kind of resurrected his career".

I think I'm more optimistic than most just because I'm not assuming he'll be terrible. Again, I'm not expecting anything, but I am looking forward to seeing what he's got.
Share 49ersWebzone