There are 93 users in the forums

Maybe our Oline isn't as bad as people say it is.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Waterbear:
You don't need high draft picks to field a good offensive line. Those teams haven't had great offensive lines but to say they are in the class of ones we have had in the last few years is insane.

Just watch the tape Kaepernick was running for his life almost every play and now Jimmy G is getting hit on 3 step drops with a very quick release. This kind of oline play is second worst only to Seattle in that time span in my opinion.

The only person who made Kap run for his life was Kap
The OL did improve once Jimmy took over...part of the credit for that is JG himself, typically getting the ball out quickly and consistently. The other part was the OL reaching a comfort level with Shanahan's blocking schemes. That said, Tomlinson, Fusco and Kilgore could all be gone. I know Coach likes DK's intelligence, an important part of playing C in the NFL. Still, Dan got overpowered too much for my tastes...so, I'd advocate for Lynch to sign one of the 25-something C's in FA. There's some very good interior OL talent that should be available. Assuming Garnett nails down one of the starting OG spots, Lynch could go into the draft only needing one topflight OG and an OT to groom.
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
You don't need high draft picks to field a good offensive line. Those teams haven't had great offensive lines but to say they are in the class of ones we have had in the last few years is insane.

Just watch the tape Kaepernick was running for his life almost every play and now Jimmy G is getting hit on 3 step drops with a very quick release. This kind of oline play is second worst only to Seattle in that time span in my opinion.

The only person who made Kap run for his life was Kap

Kap was terrible in the pocket no doubt. But Idk what to tell you if you think our line was anything but horrible those last few years.
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
It was true then, too. We haven't had a superior O-line in several years (2013?)

If you have a competent QB who has a shred of pocket awareness you don't need elite Olines.

And have you ever thought that competent QBs make their Olines better?

Ask Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady how elite their Olines are that have guys coming and going every year.

This is called the "straw man" argument. No one is saying the OL has to elite. Just not crap.
The Charlotte Observer is reporting the Panthers may have difficulty signing All-Pro LG Andrew Norwell and he could become a FA. IMHO , if so , this should be the very TOP priority for the start of the off season O-line rebuild , a 26 year old All-Pro left guard is a no-brainer.
Originally posted by kezarkid:
The Charlotte Observer is reporting the Panthers may have difficulty signing All-Pro LG Andrew Norwell and he could become a FA. IMHO , if so , this should be the very TOP priority for the start of the off season O-line rebuild , a 26 year old All-Pro left guard is a no-brainer.

no argument from me. At least get an all pro C and OG in FA...then one of top draft picks rd 1 or 2 for the other OG. The rest of the guys on the squad...open competition, but right now I have a hard time believing Kilgore, Laken or Fsco make it. They gotta be able to block to protect our #1 guy....remember we have been looking for Joe or Steve 2 for the last 20+ yrs. Well, we finally had him dumped in our laps. Ok, that was supposed to be hard. It wasn't ...it was luck plus both john and kyle were ready to pounce if that possibility came up. Fine so far. NOW....we finish the deal and get 3 interior linemen that can block and protect the guy we have waited 20 yrs for. No screwing this up. JG gets maximal protection. Right now our 3 interior OLs are giving him virtually none. And that just cannot be allowed to happen.

two jobs, ASAP.
1. We got our guy. Now pay him. And let's not insult him with some ridiculous offer. $27 mil per x 6 yrs will look awfully good 2-3 yrs out. So pay him and be done with it. I would hate to see paraag get involved here...this is not a negotiation. This is our franchise. Do we pay him or do we screw with him? it better not be the latter.

2. ok, we got him, we paid him, NOW PROTECT him. And that will cost us a mere 3 interior OLs. Not chopped liver, but all pro types. And Norwell would fit the bill just fine. But as one of 3 OLs. And all have to be bona fide starters. Get to it.
Originally posted by kezarkid:

He isn't a fit. If we want a mobile, athletic guard sign Justin Pugh
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
no argument from me. At least get an all pro C and OG in FA...then one of top draft picks rd 1 or 2 for the other OG. The rest of the guys on the squad...open competition, but right now I have a hard time believing Kilgore, Laken or Fsco make it. They gotta be able to block to protect our #1 guy....remember we have been looking for Joe or Steve 2 for the last 20+ yrs. Well, we finally had him dumped in our laps. Ok, that was supposed to be hard. It wasn't ...it was luck plus both john and kyle were ready to pounce if that possibility came up. Fine so far. NOW....we finish the deal and get 3 interior linemen that can block and protect the guy we have waited 20 yrs for. No screwing this up. JG gets maximal protection. Right now our 3 interior OLs are giving him virtually none. And that just cannot be allowed to happen.

two jobs, ASAP.
1. We got our guy. Now pay him. And let's not insult him with some ridiculous offer. $27 mil per x 6 yrs will look awfully good 2-3 yrs out. So pay him and be done with it. I would hate to see paraag get involved here...this is not a negotiation. This is our franchise. Do we pay him or do we screw with him? it better not be the latter.

2. ok, we got him, we paid him, NOW PROTECT him. And that will cost us a mere 3 interior OLs. Not chopped liver, but all pro types. And Norwell would fit the bill just fine. But as one of 3 OLs. And all have to be bona fide starters. Get to it.

Brady, Rodgers and Brees don't have 3 or 4 guys on the line making top dollar or that much invested.

It's not needed.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
This is called the "straw man" argument. No one is saying the OL has to elite. Just not crap.

Find me one publication that says our Oline was crap.

Maybe it was with CJ Beathard under center but it sure wasn't when Jimmy Franchise was.

Look at Atlanta's Oline. They have a top pick at LT. Paid premium money to Mack and traded for Levitre and then gave him a big contract. They gave Schraeder a big deal after he was an UDFA.

We have Joe Staley at LT who his one of the best and Trent Brown will be getting a top 10 tackle contract. We invested a 1st on Garnett who I believe will be a beast.

Sign a LG (Justin Pugh) re-sign Kilgore and draft a center in round 2 (James Daniels / Frank Ragnow) to compete.

Done.
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Jan 16, 2018 at 5:23 PM ]
No it really is....

Ryan Jensen

Maybe it was with CJ Beathard under center but it sure wasn't when Jimmy Franchise was.

Look at Atlanta's Oline. They have a top pick at LT. Paid premium money to Mack and traded for Levitre and then gave him a big contract. They gave Schraeder a big deal after he was an UDFA.

We have Joe Staley at LT who his one of the best and Trent Brown will be getting a top 10 tackle contract. We invested a 1st on Garnett who I believe will be a beast.

Sign a LG (Justin Pugh) re-sign Kilgore and draft a center in round 2 (James Daniels / Frank Ragnow) to compete.

Done.

Both guards and center were horrible. Jimmy G was able to mask a lot of their weaknesses but how long is that sustainable before he gets rocked onto the IR. Garnett is not a ZBS blocker and I have no idea why Baalke traded up to get him. Our bookends are solid but Staley is also getting old. ALL three interior guys need to be replaced and Staley needs someone being groomed to take his spot. A great QB can make everyone better but he can't keep taking so many hits.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Not as bad as people make it out to be. Can sign one good FA and a mid round pick. Nothing more is needed. People have just bought into the narrative. We have far more pressing issues at the skill positions.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Not as bad as people make it out to be. Can sign one good FA and a mid round pick. Nothing more is needed. People have just bought into the narrative. We have far more pressing issues at the skill positions.

You could make an equally compelling for or against case for O-Line as you could for the skill positions. It's about perspective not narrative.

Edge Rusher would be the one skill spot nobody could deny we need to address and it's not a fantastic year for that spot either.

What it comes down to is we are still an inexperienced side waiting for the talent to mature. Jimmy G masked some needs but masking isn't a solution. There's still a lot of holes to fill.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SheHateMe:

Done.

Both guards and center were horrible. Jimmy G was able to mask a lot of their weaknesses but how long is that sustainable before he gets rocked onto the IR. Garnett is not a ZBS blocker and I have no idea why Baalke traded up to get him. Our bookends are solid but Staley is also getting old. ALL three interior guys need to be replaced and Staley needs someone being groomed to take his spot. A great QB can make everyone better but he can't keep taking so many hits.
We've got two former 1st round OG's who might still fit in this teams plans.

Garnett was miscast from the start in Chips system and was placed on IR before his second year even started. Kid is only 23 and was an Outland trophy winner and it sounds like this team has plans for him next season.

Laken is only 25 and was reasonable this season considering he never played in an outside zone and had to learn the role on the fly from the moment he was traded here. He may not have as much potential as Garnett but he certainly isn't done developing in this league.

The biggest issue on this team was Kilgore at C. He was constantly wrong on his presnap reads, was making the wrong read on his support and he was consistently getting rag dolled when faced with a one-one pass block situation. Get a good Center on this team and the middle may look night and day over last season IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone