LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 132 users in the forums

Maybe our Oline isn't as bad as people say it is.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Well...we can forget about Norwell. Mike Shula just got hired in NY and they need all kinds of help upfront. You can bet they'll do what's necessary to bring him there with Gettleman and now Shula.
Originally posted by genus49:
Once again if we don't make an effort to improve on all 3 interior positions then we really messed up this offseason. I'd re-sign Kilgore but not hand him a starting job. In fact I'd be looking for him to be a backup. Best thing for this team is to see him on the bench.

Sign a center in free agency then draft someone like Ragnow who can play G to start then move to C. Then take Cappa where he can develop to replace Brown/Staley.

There is great depth at OL in this class. Let's use that to our advantage.

Nice post. I just hope we nail down at least one starting OG and C in FA. If not, whatever we don't get in FA, we gotta get in 1st and 2nd rds to complete our OG C OG.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Nice post. I just hope we nail down at least one starting OG and C in FA. If not, whatever we don't get in FA, we gotta get in 1st and 2nd rds to complete our OG C OG.

The title of this thread makes me nuts. my problem. not yours
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I'm curious why anyone thinks that backup is his ceiling.

We've seen him play one year after a very good career at Stanford. Its possible he was overdrafted but that has no bearing on the player he might be/become.

I think we are way too fast to write guys off when people don't love the place that they were picked.

a) He has been unreliable for his two years. Guards are usually the plug and play positions in the league. The fact that he has either underperformed or has gotten injured isn't a good look for him..

b) This team will be a pass happy team. He had trouble pass blocking at Stanford. He's goign to get demolished trying to block guys one-on-one. He may have been talented at Stanford but the NFL is a whole another level.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
I'm curious why anyone thinks that backup is his ceiling.

We've seen him play one year after a very good career at Stanford. Its possible he was overdrafted but that has no bearing on the player he might be/become.

I think we are way too fast to write guys off when people don't love the place that they were picked.

a) He has been unreliable for his two years. Guards are usually the plug and play positions in the league. The fact that he has either underperformed or has gotten injured isn't a good look for him..

b) This team will be a pass happy team. He had trouble pass blocking at Stanford. He's goign to get demolished trying to block guys one-on-one. He may have been talented at Stanford but the NFL is a whole another level.

3rd years a charm I think he starts and is solid. He switched to completely different system under chip and was basically red shirted last year.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Originally posted by genus49:
Once again if we don't make an effort to improve on all 3 interior positions then we really messed up this offseason. I'd re-sign Kilgore but not hand him a starting job. In fact I'd be looking for him to be a backup. Best thing for this team is to see him on the bench.

Sign a center in free agency then draft someone like Ragnow who can play G to start then move to C. Then take Cappa where he can develop to replace Brown/Staley.

There is great depth at OL in this class. Let's use that to our advantage.

Oh I will guarantee we will draft a young center. I doubt we sign a center. Like I said, aside from Jensen there aren't any guys available who are huge upgrades.

A guy like Ragnow would be perfect. Im not sure he is a day 1 starter but he will be a nice backup at all 3 interior positions and an eventual starter.

I agree. If there is one position that I think ShanaLynch will spend a top of the line draft pick (not necessarily a first round pick) it would be the center position. A good center makes that interior line much stronger than choosing two good guards in my opinion.
Originally posted by Giedi:
I agree. If there is one position that I think ShanaLynch will spend a top of the line draft pick (not necessarily a first round pick) it would be the center position. A good center makes that interior line much stronger than choosing two good guards in my opinion.

I disagree. We need a smart center who can get the blocking calls correct and call the blitzer. Guards are key to success 10x more than a center. Most passing plays the center is blocking No-one and on inside run plays he needs to get to the 2nd level to take on the MLB.

Anyone have that quote from Bill Walsh about how important guard play is for the scheme you want to run?
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Feb 16, 2018 at 8:50 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone