LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 384 users in the forums

Maybe our Oline isn't as bad as people say it is.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Jimmy makes the line look good, too. With his quick release - he makes up for a lot of the lines porous pass protection.
Resign Hyde and draft the best interior OL?
Maybe our O line is as bad as people say it is.
Originally posted by thl408:
These are words from Bill Walsh: "The guard is going to have to be styled with the system of offense you have or the offense must be styled as to who the guards are. Typically, you style your offense in relation to who you have at the guard positions. You have to adapt your style to your guards."
-----
Kyle adapted to his guards this season by calling lots of inside zone, and Tomlinson/Fusco rewarded him by blocking well on those runs. Kyle made lemonade because that's what he was given. I have a feeling he will be at the grocery store to get some different ingredients to cook with in 2018.

Fantastic post. Where did you find that Walsh quote?

I'm thinking if Shanahan had Kevin Gogan and Larry Allen at guard we would run a power scheme. Straight up man to man. But he inherited nothing.

I have high hopes for Josh Garnett because it seems like he is working his butt off. That will not go un-noticed by the staff and in-particular Lynch. Garnett is benching 350 lbs 14 times now at 305 pounds. Last year he couldn't even do 4 reps weighing 325. I think he is going to be a beast.

When Shanahan gets his players at guard and running back this offense is going to take off.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Brown and Staley are fine but the interior is terrible. I'm not against drafting Nelson in the top 10 if he's there.

Me too..I'm all in on Nelson for the 1st pick. He has the making of an Pro-Bowl/All-Pro player and can lock that position down for 10+ years and that's a great value for a top 10 pick. Lehhss Gooo Niners!!
  • dmax
  • Veteran
interior is awful..AWFUL
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-by-average-grade-week-5

I think whats clear is we lack the RB needed to run this scheme properly. Also I think we look to upgrade the center position.

A dozen players were brought in this past off-season to compete with Hyde and Kilgore. Yes they won out but obviously the team was concerned about the positions if they brought in that many players.

Anyways, upgrade LG and C in free agency. Re-sign Fusco but have him compete with Garnett and this is a top 10 line in the league IMO.

Jimmy G made this group look better than they were with his quick release and decision making. Make no mistake about it, this is not a very good O-Line.

Joe Staley is a rock at LT but he's pushing his mid 30's. Tomlinson did show some progress down the stretch and he could compete for a spot but I think he is a back-up. I have no trust or faith in Garnett. Daniel Kilgore is/was the worst starting center in the NFL. Fusco sucks. Trent Brown is a good player but you have to wonder about his durability.

O-Line is the #1 need going into the off-season and it may be #2 as well!
Originally posted by Niners99:
Staley is elite, Brown is very good, and getting better, Fusco is solid, Tomlinson is meh, and Kilgore sucks.

Staley is very good(not elite anymore), Brown is good, Fusco improved and was okay, Tomlinson and Kilgore sucks but can be a serviceable backups with starting experiences.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
the title of this thread makes my head explode
  • thl408
These are words from Bill Walsh: "The guard is going to have to be styled with the system of offense you have or the offense must be styled as to who the guards are. Typically, you style your offense in relation to who you have at the guard positions. You have to adapt your style to your guards."
-----
Kyle adapted to his guards this season by calling lots of inside zone, and Tomlinson/Fusco rewarded him by blocking well on those runs. Kyle made lemonade because that's what he was given. I have a feeling he will be at the grocery store to get some different ingredients to cook with in 2018.

I'm thinking if Shanahan had Kevin Gogan and Larry Allen at guard we would run a power scheme. Straight up man to man. But he inherited nothing.

I have high hopes for Josh Garnett because it seems like he is working his butt off. That will not go un-noticed by the staff and in-particular Lynch. Garnett is benching 350 lbs 14 times now at 305 pounds. Last year he couldn't even do 4 reps weighing 325. I think he is going to be a beast.

When Shanahan gets his players at guard and running back this offense is going to take off.
Bill Walsh wrote the article linked below and he talks about each position (click the links in the article):
http://www.sportsxchange.com/ds97/walsh/WALSH2.HTM

Coaches and scouts all have their own criteria for evaluating players. These criteria change as the game evolves and they differ dependent upon the needs or systems of respective teams.
But there will always be certain, basic requirements for players at each position.
Still, evaluating players is not a science. It must take into account a myriad of factors and, in the final analysis, must answer one critical question -- can this man perform on my team?
Requirements vary greatly by position, so here are some of the criteria and considerations I use when evaluating players at each position.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
-----

Nice, but I don't think that's what Kyle values in an offensive lineman. I think he values quickness and athleticism more than power and bench pressing. The nature of the Zone blocking system is to just move your D Lineman towards where he wants to go, not fight against the D LIneman. It's almost like Judo where the RB helps set up his O LInemen to win against the D Linemen. For that, you need a much Quicker and faster back than Hyde to really help the O LInemen. If that Center position is manned by a all pro, that helps the guards who then really no longer need to be all pro to do their jobs. It's almost like if you get a great center, it automatically comes with two good guards, simply because the center makes the guards better.
IIRC, I read a tweet a month ago that confirmed the Raiders OL had given up the least amount of QB sacks, hits and pressures and did it with the least amount of blockers (mostly, just the 5).

Imagine what that would do for Kyle and JG...Hyde, Breida, Celek, Kittle and Juice could be out running routes on every passing play instead of staying in for PP.

It started with left tackle Donald Penn in 2014, then center Rodney Hudson in 2015 and guard Kelechi Osemele the following year.

Combined with 2014 third-round pick guard Gabe Jackson, McKenzie has transformed the Raiders' offensive line into one of the most reliable in the league.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 12, 2018 at 10:10 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
IIRC, I read a tweet a month ago that confirmed the Raiders OL had given up the least amount of QB sacks, hits and pressures and did it with the least amount of blockers (mostly, just the 5).

Imagine what that would do for Kyle and JG...Hyde, Breida, Celek, Kittle and Juice could be out running routes on every passing play instead of staying in for PP.

It started with left tackle Donald Penn in 2014, then center Rodney Hudson in 2015 and guard Kelechi Osemele the following year.

Combined with 2014 third-round pick guard Gabe Jackson, McKenzie has transformed the Raiders' offensive line into one of the most reliable in the league.

Staley and Brown are good bookends, and what we need is depth at those positions and some good interior guys. Staley is 33 and I think he can play another 3+ years if he keeps his health and conditioning up. Trent is 24, very young but very talented. There are some promising free agents out there, so the draft nerds say, and I'm not adverse to looking at some left tackles that have good foot movement and agility and turning them into possible centers.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
yes it is... its horrible, a good qb can make an oline LOOK better.
It's worse
Share 49ersWebzone