49ers vs. Commanders Tickets Available! →

There are 563 users in the forums

Take our temperature game

Shop Find 49ers gear online


Barometer =/= Thermometer
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:


Barometer =/= Thermometer

It's fine, we are trying to see how hot we are, not how much pressure is on us.
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
It's fine, we are trying to see how hot we are, not how much pressure is on us.

WRONG gauge & metaphor

Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by a49erfan77:
It's fine, we are trying to see how hot we are, not how much pressure is on us.

WRONG gauge & metaphor


Thanks Dr. Walsh. I assume your doctorate was not in humor.
Clunky metaphors is an assault on humanity and the English language
Jags will be tough, no doubt. But, it'll be a good barometer to see how far our team's come. Their defense is great...agree, protect Jimmy enough so he can get the ball out & we'll make some plays. Our defense has to slow down their running attack...if they can do that maybe we can force Bortles into some mistakes. Whatever the outcome, it doesn't define this or next season...period.
Yeah, we're bringing a knife to a gun fight on offense.


The defense is healthy with continuity finally, so we should be able to gauge a bit more confidently as this is a much more balanced offense we're facing. And don't be surprised if Mabin starts over Johnson this week.
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Big Ben was fondling his balls during that game. Didn't he throw like 5 picks in a game last year too?

No question the picks were huge in the Steelers losing but Ben is a pretty good QB. Some credit has to go to the Jags for getting those turnovers(which they've done very often this year) Jimmy has been awesome but he's had some lucky bounces in terms of some throws getting in or picks being dropped...if the Jags make those plays it could get just as ugly for us and we don't have nearly the talent on offense that the Steelers had.
Originally posted by Diz_JAX:
You play who is on your schedule. I'd argue that if anything, the defense has stepped up and played some of it's best football against the better teams on the schedule.

Pittsburgh... I mean... there's not much to say on that one. Ben was questioning his life after that game.

Ravens... the game was over by halftime.

Seahawks, Wilson tried his normal 4th Quarter heroics, but they were able to tighten up when it mattered and we all saw the meltdown at the end of that game, followed by their complete dismantling this past week.

AJ Green... Sheesh.

Also, it's worth noting that after we completely destroyed Tom Savage, Watson did come in for the 2nd half, and aside from one drive that was aided by the refs, he didn't exactly light the world on fire. Was his first action, so hard to judge, but eh.

The sack numbers are heavily weighted in 2 games. 10 each against Houston and Indy in our first meeting with each. Then again, the 84 Bears had 2 games with 10 sacks padding their stats as well. As we all know, sacks are a good indicator, but they don't tell the whole story, and our D Line has been getting significant pressure on QBs all year long, with the exception of the Titans game. Turns out their O Line is pretty beast.

Behind that pressure, our DBs have been absolutely stifling. AJ Bouye has still yet to allow a single TD against him. Ramsey finally got beat for one by Hopkins last week. Colvin, our Nickle, has been playing out of his mind, which is bittersweet because he'll likely be moving on after this season as he's going to collect a huge paycheck.

If there's one concern I have w/ our Defense, it's the perimeter runs. While Dareus helped sure up the middle of our defense, we still had some issues defending against outside runs, but those were games where Telvin Smith was out, and his speed simply can't be replaced. It's definitely something I'll be watching.

As for Jimmy G... I expect you'll get a good chance to see how he responds under duress with tight coverage. Split second decision making, etc. I agree w/ some other posters in that I think you can learn a lot of positives about him if he plays well, but if the Jags D continues to be the Jags D, it'll be hard to put much negative on him, unless he goes full Kizer in OT and starts getting super loose w/ the ball... which I don't expect.

Interesting. For some reason I thought you guys "redshirted" Colvin his rookie year but I see he actually was activated late that year.

He's definitely now on my radar for us to sign as a free agent. I liked him a lot coming out and was hoping he'd be one of Baalke's ACL picks lol. Hopefully the connection with Saleh makes it happen.
Originally posted by Diz_JAX:
Originally posted by WINiner:
I think the Jags D is a little bit of a paper champ. Yes their defense is good, but who have they played? What good offenses have they played well against?If you are ranking the offenses they have faced by points scored on the season their schedule looks like this:
14th
19th (L)
8th
20th (L)
9th
1st (tied) (L)
31st
29th
16th
32nd
27th (L)
31st
13th
14th
To delve a bit deeper they played the Texans twice without Watson who are ranked 14th largely due to his work during the games he started. The only good offenses they have beaten are that are really all that good are the Steelers (9th and really good imo) the Hawks (13th one dimensional and nearly impossible to scheme for) Ravens (8th pretty good) and Chargers (16th and a decently good offense). To wit the majority of their sacks have come against the Colts (10), Houston, and Indy. All teams with bad QB play when those sacks were wracked up. Their defense is good, but they aren't a Ravens or a Seattle. They have played a last place schedule and yes their defense is good, but not nearly as scary as some the 49ers have faced in the not so distant past.

Im not trying to disrespect the Jags, but they aren't the bullies that the Ravens or Hawks have been in the modern NFL. They have feasted on bad QB's and bad lines. Yes out line isn't good, but our QB is. I think the 49ers offense can win this game, not so sure the defense can though.

You play who is on your schedule. I'd argue that if anything, the defense has stepped up and played some of it's best football against the better teams on the schedule.

Pittsburgh... I mean... there's not much to say on that one. Ben was questioning his life after that game.

Ravens... the game was over by halftime.

Seahawks, Wilson tried his normal 4th Quarter heroics, but they were able to tighten up when it mattered and we all saw the meltdown at the end of that game, followed by their complete dismantling this past week.

AJ Green... Sheesh.

Also, it's worth noting that after we completely destroyed Tom Savage, Watson did come in for the 2nd half, and aside from one drive that was aided by the refs, he didn't exactly light the world on fire. Was his first action, so hard to judge, but eh.

The sack numbers are heavily weighted in 2 games. 10 each against Houston and Indy in our first meeting with each. Then again, the 84 Bears had 2 games with 10 sacks padding their stats as well. As we all know, sacks are a good indicator, but they don't tell the whole story, and our D Line has been getting significant pressure on QBs all year long, with the exception of the Titans game. Turns out their O Line is pretty beast.

Behind that pressure, our DBs have been absolutely stifling. AJ Bouye has still yet to allow a single TD against him. Ramsey finally got beat for one by Hopkins last week. Colvin, our Nickle, has been playing out of his mind, which is bittersweet because he'll likely be moving on after this season as he's going to collect a huge paycheck.

If there's one concern I have w/ our Defense, it's the perimeter runs. While Dareus helped sure up the middle of our defense, we still had some issues defending against outside runs, but those were games where Telvin Smith was out, and his speed simply can't be replaced. It's definitely something I'll be watching.

As for Jimmy G... I expect you'll get a good chance to see how he responds under duress with tight coverage. Split second decision making, etc. I agree w/ some other posters in that I think you can learn a lot of positives about him if he plays well, but if the Jags D continues to be the Jags D, it'll be hard to put much negative on him, unless he goes full Kizer in OT and starts getting super loose w/ the ball... which I don't expect.


You should consider sports writing
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by Diz_JAX:
snip!

Interesting. For some reason I thought you guys "redshirted" Colvin his rookie year but I see he actually was activated late that year.

He's definitely now on my radar for us to sign as a free agent. I liked him a lot coming out and was hoping he'd be one of Baalke's ACL picks lol. Hopefully the connection with Saleh makes it happen.

He'd be a heck of a pick up for you guys. I'm holding out some faint hope (delusion) that we'll be able to re-sign him. He's shown that he can play outside as well, and does so frequently in our D due to Ramsey shadowing #1s. When the 1 moves into the slot, Ramsey follows and Colvin will kick outside. Versatile playmaker who's just going to be a cap casualty, most likely.

Originally posted by acrownlessking:
Originally posted by Diz_JAX:
snip!


You should consider sports writing

I ramble more than I write intelligent thoughts lol
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
This Jax team is overrated. Sure their defense can pile up a ton of stats against a bunch of cupcake teams:

Houston (2x) without DeShaun Watson
s**tty Ravens team (at the time) in London
Luck-Less colts (2x)
Browns
Crappy Hawks Team
Crappy Bengals Team

Meanwhile they lose to the Titans, Jets, Rams, and Cardinals.

Told ya all as did like four other Zoners :)
I looked at the accelerometer AND IT SAYS UP UP UP
Jimmy G hot. Niners hot. Kyle Shanahan f**king hot
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 33,337
I checked the rating on the voltmeter and the pressure on this team is hot.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone