LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 477 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Stanley:
We traded for Jimmy because he was available for only a 2nd rounder. It was a no brainer.

if we set here and say.. well we will only accept a second for nick and a third for cj... well.. we will be setting till the end of time
Originally posted by cciowa:
We traded for Jimmy because he was available for only a 2nd rounder. It was a no brainer.

if we set here and say.. well we will only accept a second for nick and a third for cj... well.. we will be setting till the end of time

I haven't read all the comments but there's no way in hell either of our two backup QBs are worth a 3rd or better.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I haven't read all the comments but there's no way in hell either of our two backup QBs are worth a 3rd or better.

Correct. I doubt CJ is worth any more than a 7th and Mullens - maybe a 5th...
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Correct. I doubt CJ is worth any more than a 7th and Mullens - maybe a 5th...

That is about what I figure. Finally something realistic.

This is one of the problems I see on this forum. These threads go on so long that the original comment is often lost and the whole thing goes off in a different direction. Someone was doing a hypothetical about Nick and CJ. He realizes that neither is worth a 2nd or 3rd now. He was just saying that if either one or both came in and showed huge improvement in the pre season to the point that they looked liked viable starters, would we trade one of them for a 2nd or 3rd if another team needed a QB. He wasn't saying that would happen now. If CJ made a huge jump I could see that happening with his size and arm strength. It would have to be a huge jump and is unlikely but there are rare cases when players finally figure it out. We traded for Jimmy because we had seen enough to give up that 2nd rounder so CJ or Nick would have to improve a lot. Truth is, even Jimmy hasn't proved himself yet. Needs to show he can stay healthy and produce over a long period. If we had only seen the 7 games he has played as a Niner I doubt that we would have given up a 2nd for him. The fact that he started several games with NE and watched Brady was the reason.

Please. Nobody is saying either one is worth a high pick now. It was purely a hypothetical question like saying what if Ward stayed healthy and went to the pro bowl. Just playing what if games which is what we do when sports are slow.
[ Edited by CatchMaster80 on Jun 21, 2019 at 2:01 PM ]
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Beathard for a 3rd no question

you guys really over value our players.... we are lucky to get a 6th,,, no one will give up a third for this putz

agree with CC.. we're lucky to even get a 6th for CJ...

in fact, if we turn it around, would WE give anything HIGHER than a 6th for CJ??

you guys really over value our players.... we are lucky to get a 6th,,, no one will give up a third for this putz

I almost said the same thing. But he said it was hypothetical. I don't think anyone would trade more than a 4th for either one of our QBs right now.

...if that.
[ Edited by Waterbear on Jun 21, 2019 at 2:39 PM ]
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
This is one of the problems I see on this forum. These threads go on so long that the original comment is often lost and the whole thing goes off in a different direction. Someone was doing a hypothetical about Nick and CJ. He realizes that neither is worth a 2nd or 3rd now. He was just saying that if either one or both came in and showed huge improvement in the pre season to the point that they looked liked viable starters, would we trade one of them for a 2nd or 3rd if another team needed a QB. He wasn't saying that would happen now. If CJ made a huge jump I could see that happening with his size and arm strength. It would have to be a huge jump and is unlikely but there are rare cases when players finally figure it out. We traded for Jimmy because we had seen enough to give up that 2nd rounder so CJ or Nick would have to improve a lot. Truth is, even Jimmy hasn't proved himself yet. Needs to show he can stay healthy and produce over a long period. If we had only seen the 7 games he has played as a Niner I doubt that we would have given up a 2nd for him. The fact that he started several games with NE and watched Brady was the reason.

Please. Nobody is saying either one is worth a high pick now. It was purely a hypothetical question like saying what if Ward stayed healthy and went to the pro bowl. Just playing what if games which is what we do when sports are slow.

Word okay ...yeah imo the only way one of them would be worth that is if they became the starter for a substantial amount of time and balled out.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:

in fact, if we turn it around, would WE give anything HIGHER than a 6th for CJ??

No . we could call him a bum and would only be willing to give a unconditional pick for him
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:

No . we could call him a bum and would only be willing to give a unconditional pick for him
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

the simple solution is that no one with a half a head should even put nick cj second third round pick in the same statement

the simple solution is that no one with a half a head should even put nick cj second third round pick in the same statement

Then let's not do won-loss projections or estimate how many sacks the Niners will have this year before they even play a game. It's all just fantasy stuff.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Interesting thought though...lets say Mullens really blows the door off it in the preseason. Just a theoretical, but fun to debate. So he goes out and legit looks better than a good number of starters in the league this year and C.J. looks slightly improved but still basically looks like your standard backup QB. The market for Mullens Services is a high second and C.J. is a lower third. Which do you take?
I wouldn't trade Mullens yet. We have him for at least 2+ more years. If your hypothetical runs true, I'd do a Jimmy G deal with mullens trade him as late as I could.

It would be BeatHard that I'd trade, and most likely to get a 7th rounder, I'd have to package him with another player.

Now if Mullens looks like he can challenge Jimmy for the start (assuming your hypothetical that Mullens just kills it in preseason) now you have two talented QB's. I'd rather keep both as long as I could.
  • napo
  • Veteran
Jimmy G rated at # 21 on Chris Simms Top 40 Quarterbacks. Sounds about right to me. Obviously everything will change after the 2019 season depending on everybody's performance.
Originally posted by napo:
Jimmy G rated at # 21 on Chris Simms Top 40 Quarterbacks. Sounds about right to me. Obviously everything will change after the 2019 season depending on everybody's performance.

Yeah no complaints from me. He has to play a full season and play great, which I have no doubt he will.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
Originally posted by napo:

Yeah no complaints from me. He has to play a full season and play great, which I have no doubt he will.
Unbelievable.. he had some s**tty qbs ahead of him.. goff choked in the superbowl.. preskot is s**t without that o-line and rb.... etc etc
Share 49ersWebzone