There are 231 users in the forums

Jimmy Garoppolo, QB, Los Angeles Rams

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
cousins is more than fine if he did not have jimmy. i look forward to seeing jimmy take some hits in pre season. yes i know that sounds queer. but he has to get some work in and he has to get hit. with our offensive offensive line. that should not be to hard to achieve. both he and sherman and the jet need pre season games. i am one of the few who do not believe in babying players in pre season

I have to agree with you there cc, maybe the first and third preseason games then I'd leave the reps for the young guys like Wilton Speight to showcase his skills.

i never played the game but i think there is something to be said for players getting some time in pre season.. and yes especially guys coming off being injured. gotta know if jimmy and jet can take a hit. your theory of the first and third games is good. i am a fan of letting cj take alot of hits and then discarding him. lol

I just say first and third because usually that's where the vets get the most reps, but who knows they may get even more reps or games. Hopefully Kwon Alexander can get in there too, btw. As for CJ, I think this preseason will give Shanahan a long hard look at he and Mullens, but I'm pretty sure Mullens can beat him out.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
cousins is more than fine if he did not have jimmy. i look forward to seeing jimmy take some hits in pre season. yes i know that sounds queer. but he has to get some work in and he has to get hit. with our offensive offensive line. that should not be to hard to achieve. both he and sherman and the jet need pre season games. i am one of the few who do not believe in babying players in pre season

I have to agree with you there cc, maybe the first and third preseason games then I'd leave the reps for the young guys like Wilton Speight to showcase his skills.

i never played the game but i think there is something to be said for players getting some time in pre season.. and yes especially guys coming off being injured. gotta know if jimmy and jet can take a hit. your theory of the first and third games is good. i am a fan of letting cj take alot of hits and then discarding him. lol

I just say first and third because usually that's where the vets get the most reps, but who knows they may get even more reps or games. Hopefully Kwon Alexander can get in there too, btw. As for CJ, I think this preseason will give Shanahan a long hard look at he and Mullens, but I'm pretty sure Mullens can beat him out.

you said nothing wrong
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Unless we trade Mullens, CJ being cut is a lock.
traded for a 6th or 7th maybe? or do you think teams will just wait us out knowing they can sign him and not give up anything?
A QB on another team would have to be injured and we would have to get back a 2nd round pick IMO. So basically it's Mullens will be our backup.

No way we will be able to trade Beathard.

I'm not sure whether it's going to be Mullens or Beathard but I'm guessing one will be traded sometime during the season. The way QB's get hurt, there will be some team in need during the year when their QB goes down and that's when we can max out the trade value. They're both as good or better than a lot of the guys that just keep bouncing around the league.
As far as Mullens working to strengthen his arm I don't know how much you can do to improve that. Mechanics can help I guess but as far as sheer strength goes you either have it or you don't. Same goes for field awareness. Some guys like Mullens see it well. Other guys like Beathard are not as quick to recognize what's going on. I guess experience can help that a little. The bottom line is these 2 guys are who they are. They may each be able to improve their weak spots but neither will suddenly become a top 10 QB. Nothing wrong with being a good backup.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
traded for a 6th or 7th maybe? or do you think teams will just wait us out knowing they can sign him and not give up anything?
A QB on another team would have to be injured and we would have to get back a 2nd round pick IMO. So basically it's Mullens will be our backup.

I'm not sure whether it's going to be Mullens or Beathard but I'm guessing one will be traded sometime during the season. The way QB's get hurt, there will be some team in need during the year when their QB goes down and that's when we can max out the trade value. They're both as good or better than a lot of the guys that just keep bouncing around the league.
As far as Mullens working to strengthen his arm I don't know how much you can do to improve that. Mechanics can help I guess but as far as sheer strength goes you either have it or you don't. Same goes for field awareness. Some guys like Mullens see it well. Other guys like Beathard are not as quick to recognize what's going on. I guess experience can help that a little. The bottom line is these 2 guys are who they are. They may each be able to improve their weak spots but neither will suddenly become a top 10 QB. Nothing wrong with being a good backup.

Interesting thought though...lets say Mullens really blows the door off it in the preseason. Just a theoretical, but fun to debate. So he goes out and legit looks better than a good number of starters in the league this year and C.J. looks slightly improved but still basically looks like your standard backup QB. The market for Mullens Services is a high second and C.J. is a lower third. Which do you take?
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

Interesting thought though...lets say Mullens really blows the door off it in the preseason. Just a theoretical, but fun to debate. So he goes out and legit looks better than a good number of starters in the league this year and C.J. looks slightly improved but still basically looks like your standard backup QB. The market for Mullens Services is a high second and C.J. is a lower third. Which do you take?

Beathard for a 3rd no question
[ Edited by Waterbear on Jun 20, 2019 at 1:33 PM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
NY, you are missing my point. It is simply that Jimmy and Mullins are here in the here and now. Cousins is in Vikesland under contract...and for not just this yr but next also. Kirk is fine. But our guys are here now, guys on our payroll. Under those circumstances, postulating about "what ifs"....my point is we are in the present and any kind of thots like that are just idle talk. That's it. I also happen to like both JG and Mullie as his #2 better than i like cousins. That takes nothing away from Cousins. He's fine. But i like our guys better. Just my preference. And that isnt' being a homer. That is just accepting facts on the ground.

A guy like Florio? This just sounds like a grant cohen clickbait. Nothing more, nothing less...but i do think his position is way off base...regardless of what his bud , Simms says. And my feelings for grant c are well known . Same for Florio, who i now no longer read.

Dude it's all hypothetical...it's mid June and we got nothing else to talk about

I'm not saying Kirk will ever be here BUT imo he's a better overall QB than Mullens. That's my pt. He does have a relationship with Kyle and does know the offense. Wouldn't be the most shocking outcome if for whatever reason Jimmy isn't our QB in two yrs and Kirk is ours...That said, I hope Jimmy G is the answer here for 10 yrs.

It's all in fun end of the day.

Building around a 33 year old Cousins would be a disaster.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

I would take a 2nd rounder for Mullens over the 3rd rounder for Beathard since a 2nd round pick has a better chance of being a good player (at least in theory). If Mullens is improved that much it would be tempting to keep him in case Jimmy gets hurt but that's negative thinking. You know that Mullens would want to start somewhere if he improves that much so how happy would he be sitting around. A second round pick next year could be a starting tackle, guard or wide receiver. Maybe a top DB.

Possibly, one day before cap cuts /trade . If we snag a starter OG or DB, it will be then...the day before cap cuts.

🧐🧐
  • thl408
"best deep passing grades last season for the 49ers"
Does that mean out of BeatHard, Mullens, and Jimmy, that Jimmy was the best? Or best in the NFL?

• cciowa
  • Veteran

you guys really over value our players.... we are lucky to get a 6th,,, no one will give up a third for this putz

you guys really over value our players.... we are lucky to get a 6th,,, no one will give up a third for this putz

You need to go back and look at the original statement. It was a theoretical what if Mullens really looks impressive in pre season AND Beathard also shows great improvement and their stock rises. Who would you trade? Nobody is saying either of these guys is worth a 2nd or 3rd now. They would both need to show a lot of improvement to get a 3rd or 2nd but desperate teams sometimes do crazy things. We traded for Jimmy because we were desperate. I know he's better than either of the other 2 guys but he was mostly unproven and still is. One of them will get traded to some team in need after their QB gets hurt. It happens every year.
Originally posted by thl408:
"best deep passing grades last season for the 49ers"
Does that mean out of BeatHard, Mullens, and Jimmy, that Jimmy was the best? Or best in the NFL?

Best on the team...
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
You need to go back and look at the original statement. It was a theoretical what if Mullens really looks impressive in pre season AND Beathard also shows great improvement and their stock rises. Who would you trade? Nobody is saying either of these guys is worth a 2nd or 3rd now. They would both need to show a lot of improvement to get a 3rd or 2nd but desperate teams sometimes do crazy things. We traded for Jimmy because we were desperate. I know he's better than either of the other 2 guys but he was mostly unproven and still is. One of them will get traded to some team in need after their QB gets hurt. It happens every year.

i also saw... nick for a second and cj for a third and pooped my pants,. and i stand by what i say.... our fan base always over values our players. nothing wrong with that cuz thats what they do

We traded for Jimmy because he was available for only a 2nd rounder. It was a no brainer.
Share 49ersWebzone