LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 244 users in the forums

Compensatory picks

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Im not clear on all the rules regarding comp picks so I wanted to ask.

We lost Brock but we cut him. Bowman was also released. Are we going to get compensated for this obvious drop in talent with some comp picks?
[ Edited by JBrack on Oct 23, 2017 at 11:05 AM ]
Bow doesn't count... he was cut
Originally posted by DickNasty:
Bow doesn't count... he was cut

Kinda figured that one... How about Brock? He was cut too, but for conduct.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
I don't think we are going to get any comp picks this year. We signed Juice, Smith, and Garcon to big deals. I can't remember anyone major we lost in the offseason that got a big deal in free agency.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_San_Francisco_49ers_season
Originally posted by GEEK:
I don't think we are going to get any comp picks this year. We signed Juice, Smith, and Garcon to big deals. I can't remember anyone major we lost in the offseason that got a big deal in free agency.

Nobody to lose from last year's roster in the 1st place
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GEEK:

+1
Doubt we'll get any. And with the amount we're likely to spend this offseason, doubt we'll get any the next year either
Does keeping Arik Armstead and Jimmie Ward this year and then letting them go help us when it comes to compensatory picks?
Yes, to my knowledge, every player that leaves your team via free agency is eligible in the compensatory formula. Now, if you decline an option on a player, or cut them, and then they leave, they don't count towards compensatory for you.
Originally posted by Bobdawg78:
Yes, to my knowledge, every player that leaves your team via free agency is eligible in the compensatory formula. Now, if you decline an option on a player, or cut them, and then they leave, they don't count towards compensatory for you.

Is the fact that AA is getting PAID factor into the comp pick? Is it how much he gets paid by his next team?
What pick can we expect to get from AA? Is it based on performance?

As I recall if you decline to pick up the option it counts as the player completing their contract and hitting FA, and as such being eligible for the comp formula (i.e. declining the option doesn't count as cutting the player).

If someone knows for certain please correct me, though.

Where this would matter for these two is they would have been cancelled out in the comp formula for next year (based on gains and losses in FA this year), whereas if the 9ers don't sign qualifying FAs next year and these two sign elsewhere and qualify it would count two years out from now.

Playing the comp game is really only for good teams and teams up against the salary cap, though. It's not like the 9ers brought these guys back to try to get comp picks a couple years from now.
Declining options makes a player a true UFA, and counts in the Comp Pick formula.

We're getting a 6th for losing Lynch to CHI. We won't get any in 2020 as we only lost Pinion, and gained Kwon, Matthews, Verrett, Coleman, and Mayo
I'd like to think I'm a decently smart guy. And then someone tries to explain comp picks and, well, it's humbling.

If you're willing to explain this to me like I'm a 5 year old:

How does signing Ward to the one year impact our Comp formula?
How does picking up AAs option impact our Comp formula?
How would trading AA impact it?

Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

Playing the comp game is really only for good teams and teams up against the salary cap, though. It's not like the 9ers brought these guys back to try to get comp picks a couple years from now.

One can dream.
What about Foster? We DESERVE a comp for him.
Share 49ersWebzone