49ers vs. Commanders Tickets Available! →

There are 983 users in the forums

Week 5 2017: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SammyFrancisco:
Originally posted by jcs:
How is this on Potus??...NFL has literally lost over 20% in viewership. Merchandising is down and people are now canceling their subscriptions for games on tv, pc, radio. The fans have spoken and it's been going on for over a year.
I wasn't fully aware of these stats? How clearly are these declines attributable to the protests? iirc, ratings were already trending down before Kap started doing his thing--as result of health concerns (CTE, etc), and consequently fewer young people being encouraged to play football therefore never becoming fans. Not to mention crap like the Ray Rice fiasco (2014).

It's sad to see NFL tending downward, cuz I love the game so much; For my money, it is the best spectator sport by miles. Personally, the protests don't affect my view of the game; I support the players on this issue, and even if I didn't agree with them I'd respect their right to peacefully protest as they see fit. Honestly, if they were mandated to stand up, that might make me stop watching. But I don't think the NFL could do that nor would the players stand for it (see what I did there?).

Sorry for going off-topic w/ politics-related stuff. (Marvin, thanks as always for your awesome write-ups!) But I came across articles that noted ratings are down across the board for major sports (NBA and NASCAR anyway), not to mention TV watching in general is down (so much other media to compete with). My point being that it's nearly impossible to truly quantify the affect of the protests on the NFL's ratings.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 39,898
Originally posted by SammyFrancisco:
Originally posted by SammyFrancisco:
Originally posted by jcs:
How is this on Potus??...NFL has literally lost over 20% in viewership. Merchandising is down and people are now canceling their subscriptions for games on tv, pc, radio. The fans have spoken and it's been going on for over a year.
I wasn't fully aware of these stats? How clearly are these declines attributable to the protests? iirc, ratings were already trending down before Kap started doing his thing--as result of health concerns (CTE, etc), and consequently fewer young people being encouraged to play football therefore never becoming fans. Not to mention crap like the Ray Rice fiasco (2014).

It's sad to see NFL tending downward, cuz I love the game so much; For my money, it is the best spectator sport by miles. Personally, the protests don't affect my view of the game; I support the players on this issue, and even if I didn't agree with them I'd respect their right to peacefully protest as they see fit. Honestly, if they were mandated to stand up, that might make me stop watching. But I don't think the NFL could do that nor would the players stand for it (see what I did there?).

Sorry for going off-topic w/ politics-related stuff. (Marvin, thanks as always for your awesome write-ups!) But I came across articles that noted ratings are down across the board for major sports (NBA and NASCAR anyway), not to mention TV watching in general is down (so much other media to compete with). My point being that it's nearly impossible to truly quantify the affect of the protests on the NFL's ratings.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20171611/national-anthem-protests-no-1-reason-viewers-tuned-nfl-games
Originally posted by Marvin49:

5) Carlos Hyde: I'm a fan. I really like the guy. He can't stay healthy. Its maddening. Its ALWAYS SOMETHING with Carlos. He'll have a monster game and then disappear. I know he was limited in his opportunities this week, but he's clearly not the same right now. He's a FA after the season and right now I can't see them putting big money into retaining him. To be honest, I've had my eye on #26 at Penn State but I'll save that for a conversation at another time.

Thanks for your continued posts, Marvin. Great work.

It is a little early to postulate on a Kirk Cousins reunion with Kyle Shanahan out west, but wouldn't that be nice? Consider an off-season that includes Kirk Cousins, Saquon Barkley (draft), and continued investment in interior guard and WR?
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by SammyFrancisco:
Originally posted by SammyFrancisco:
Originally posted by jcs:
How is this on Potus??...NFL has literally lost over 20% in viewership. Merchandising is down and people are now canceling their subscriptions for games on tv, pc, radio. The fans have spoken and it's been going on for over a year.
I wasn't fully aware of these stats? How clearly are these declines attributable to the protests? iirc, ratings were already trending down before Kap started doing his thing--as result of health concerns (CTE, etc), and consequently fewer young people being encouraged to play football therefore never becoming fans. Not to mention crap like the Ray Rice fiasco (2014).

It's sad to see NFL tending downward, cuz I love the game so much; For my money, it is the best spectator sport by miles. Personally, the protests don't affect my view of the game; I support the players on this issue, and even if I didn't agree with them I'd respect their right to peacefully protest as they see fit. Honestly, if they were mandated to stand up, that might make me stop watching. But I don't think the NFL could do that nor would the players stand for it (see what I did there?).

Sorry for going off-topic w/ politics-related stuff. (Marvin, thanks as always for your awesome write-ups!) But I came across articles that noted ratings are down across the board for major sports (NBA and NASCAR anyway), not to mention TV watching in general is down (so much other media to compete with). My point being that it's nearly impossible to truly quantify the affect of the protests on the NFL's ratings.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20171611/national-anthem-protests-no-1-reason-viewers-tuned-nfl-games
Mark Cuban predicted this years before the current protests began: "Hogs get slaughtered!" was the general gist.

1) Nearly half a century of free, broadcast Monday Night Football made Pay-TV;
2) Games in London, Mexico City (only the beginning, Beijing coming up) that screw up teams' schedules;
3) Taxpayer dollars being extorted into owners' pockets all over the country for stadiums. Even bond issues which teams pay back are tax-exempt, thus costing taxpayers money;
4) Exorbitant athletes' pay. People who spend years paying off student loans just cannot understand this, and athletes are much higher profile than corporate execs.

The protests have served as a catalyst if you will, or an excuse, for a disconnect between ordinary people's lives and the NFL that has been growing for years erupting to the surface.
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Originally posted by Marvin49:

5) Carlos Hyde: I'm a fan. I really like the guy. He can't stay healthy. Its maddening. Its ALWAYS SOMETHING with Carlos. He'll have a monster game and then disappear. I know he was limited in his opportunities this week, but he's clearly not the same right now. He's a FA after the season and right now I can't see them putting big money into retaining him. To be honest, I've had my eye on #26 at Penn State but I'll save that for a conversation at another time.

Thanks for your continued posts, Marvin. Great work.

It is a little early to postulate on a Kirk Cousins reunion with Kyle Shanahan out west, but wouldn't that be nice? Consider an off-season that includes Kirk Cousins, Saquon Barkley (draft), and continued investment in interior guard and WR?

That....

....had occurred to me. :)

Reality tho to me is that I kinda doubt a Shanahan would take a RB that high as one of their strengths is fining guys later in the draft...but it's fun to think about.
Carlos is good... Im intrigued to sign him to a contract you know you can easily dump in a trade down the road if you want.

Feeling the same about Reid, maybe Tank if AA is traded... We got the cap space.
Originally posted by jcs:
Doesn't matter now...sounds like NFL is going to mandate standing for the anthem....
This is heading to court for sure, and I don't see how the NFL wins on this one.
#10, thats an interesting point that could go a long way when it comes to players of Desean Jackson, Mike Evans, Shady and others of their stature and choosing a landing spot. And especially Cowgirl players who at the first chance will want out of Dallas, they could remember which owners took a different approach than Jerry's heavy handedness. Could work in our favor down the road.
Originally posted by VDpwndMjenkins:
#10, thats an interesting point that could go a long way when it comes to players of Desean Jackson, Mike Evans, Shady and others of their stature and choosing a landing spot. And especially Cowgirl players who at the first chance will want out of Dallas, they could remember which owners took a different approach than Jerry's heavy handedness. Could work in our favor down the road.

Demarcus Lawrence! Ill gamble
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
This is heading to court for sure, and I don't see how the NFL wins on this one.

I really don't care about the protesting, but what I don't see how the NFL can lose if it goes to court. If an employee at a restaurant told off a customer for wearing a Trump shirt, it is their right to do so, but there is still a good chance they get fired. It's no different in the NFL, the players are paid employees at their place if business.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by jcs:
Doesn't matter now...sounds like NFL is going to mandate standing for the anthem....
This is heading to court for sure, and I don't see how the NFL wins on this one.

they wont unless they want to go against supreme court
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
I applaud you Marvin for being able to stomach re-watching these games.

these games aren't as bad. The last two years were horrible.
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
I applaud you Marvin for being able to stomach re-watching these games.

these games aren't as bad. The last two years were horrible.

were able to stay with every team and considering the talent thats an accopmlishment in itself ( i would argue colts have a worse roster but i am talking in general)
  • jcs
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 39,898
Originally posted by harryj:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by jcs:
Doesn't matter now...sounds like NFL is going to mandate standing for the anthem....
This is heading to court for sure, and I don't see how the NFL wins on this one.

they wont unless they want to go against supreme court
Players would lose....freedom of speech doesn't protect you from a private employer.
Originally posted by jcs:
Originally posted by harryj:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by jcs:
Doesn't matter now...sounds like NFL is going to mandate standing for the anthem....
This is heading to court for sure, and I don't see how the NFL wins on this one.

they wont unless they want to go against supreme court
Players would lose....freedom of speech doesn't protect you from a private employer.

Yeah, it just depends on what was signed and language within the CBA.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone