LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 166 users in the forums

4-3 base dense vs 4-3 leo alignment

Shop Find 49ers gear online
One thing I hate about coaches is their inability to coach to their players strength. This is what makes Bellechek (spelling) a great coach. He doesn't force the square peg into the round hole. Seems to me we're trying to run that Seattle base 4-3 with the DE in kicked way out in that leo alignment and it's just not working. We don't have the pass rushers to run that type of scheme. So why don't the coaches adjust to our players strength?
I think Compared to years past this defense actually fits players better, besides AA and Buckner who played all college in a 3-4 other players fit and fit well, it's a young defense, but Reid, Tartt and Ward seem perfect for it, Buckner prob loves it, gets to actually rush the passer, Lynch is made to have his hand in the ground and rush not drop back sometimes like in the 3-4, and as for the LEO position players like Lynch or Dumervil need to step up..it's a top 3 need and definitely will be addressed next year but for now we ride with what we have and hope players step up..
  • evil
  • Veteran
Like most other teams attempting to switch to a new defensive scheme, you are never going to have all the pieces you want and need in the first year (sometimes two) to truly make your defense go. It's a process to acquire the necessary pieces.
Originally posted by jersey49er:
I think Compared to years past this defense actually fits players better, besides AA and Buckner who played all college in a 3-4 other players fit and fit well, it's a young defense, but Reid, Tartt and Ward seem perfect for it, Buckner prob loves it, gets to actually rush the passer, Lynch is made to have his hand in the ground and rush not drop back sometimes like in the 3-4, and as for the LEO position players like Lynch or Dumervil need to step up..it's a top 3 need and definitely will be addressed next year but for now we ride with what we have and hope players step up..

Agreed...the defense seems to fit players like Foster, Tank, Mitchell/Jones, Dumervil, Lynch, Smith, Watson, Johnson, Robinson, Reid, Tartt and Ward and currently how it's run, not so much for players like AA, Buckner, Thomas, Blair, Bowman, Coyle, etc.

Personally I think Saleh can do a better job with his personnel on the DL but he's still feeling out the players within this scheme just like Kyle on offense.

And to evil's point, we're still lacking a true edge rusher, another speedy/rangy ILB and maybe CB or S.
Originally posted by jays9ers:
One thing I hate about coaches is their inability to coach to their players strength. This is what makes Bellechek (spelling) a great coach. He doesn't force the square peg into the round hole. Seems to me we're trying to run that Seattle base 4-3 with the DE in kicked way out in that leo alignment and it's just not working. We don't have the pass rushers to run that type of scheme. So why don't the coaches adjust to our players strength?

"Patient pending." Actually I think this 4-3 scheme is fitting much better than I thought. Give this some time, we've been running 3-4 for years, it's not not gonna all fall together 3 games into a completely new GM, rookie HC, and staff. I think Saleh is doing a pretty good job. There's clear progress, at least that I can see. Now, we gotta get more production from the pass-rushers. But for me a real problem is the play of our LB's. The front 4, while needing more consistent pass-rush production, they are eating up blockers which frees up the LB's to make plays. By all rights our LB's are really under-performing and have to do better. But overall this scheme is fitting well. Lets give Kyle & Co. time to assemble all the pieces they feel they need. Can't solve it all in one season.
Share 49ersWebzone