LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 279 users in the forums

Niners through 3 games

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • JayT
  • Veteran
This is an extremely young team. They'll be a problem in a year, maybe by the end of the season.
Moral victories are for losers.
Not many surprises for me so far, and mostly about what you'd expect.

SO-FAR ACCURATE EXPECTATIONS:

*A lack of an edge rusher is a major weakness.

*Beyond Garcon the WRs are very mediocre.

*CB is a major weakness.

*Ward and Reid are good when playing but not always playing, per usual.

*The interior line is a problem.

*Hoyer is decent enough bridge QB who struggles reading coverage post-snap and holds onto the ball too long.

*Bowman seriously struggles with change of direction at this point in his career and when not moving forward is a liability.

*Shanahan's offense is really complicated and leads to major, major inconsistencies in its first year of install with a young team.

PLEASANT SURPRISES:

*Hyde's weight loss has made him more agile but he hasn't lost any of his thump.

*Buckner's technique has improved.

*I feel good about PR and KR return for the first time since Ginn was here.

*Good showings by late round draft picks and UDFAs (Kittle, Taylor, DJ Jones, and Breida).

UNPLEASANT SURPRISES:

*The lack of interior pass rush (three first round picks on the d-line w/ two in the top ten and not much interior pressure to show for it).

*The 9ers first five picks in the draft haven't done anything of note yet, and two aren't even on the active roster when healthy (Thomas, Foster, Witherspoon, Beathard, Williams).
[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on Sep 22, 2017 at 6:37 AM ]
Originally posted by stunder49:
Excuses and 0-3 is all I see, I hope they win a game, I don't like this we might have won that game mentality. Winning a game will feel like Mardi Gras in the WZ when they win

The cup is either half full or half empty.

Matter of perspective.

Here's mine,

This is YEAR ONE of the REBUILD!

As long as we see improvement every week, I'm happy.

Happy but not satisfied!

Winning is meaningless unless wins can be sustained.

Like that MEANINGLESS win last season against the Rams that lost us getting Garrett!

Remember that?
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

*CB is a major weakness.

*Hoyer is decent enough bridge QB who struggles reading coverage post-snap and holds onto the ball too long.

*Bowman seriously struggles with change of direction at this point in his career and when not moving forward is a liability.

*Shanahan's offense is really complicated and leads to major, major inconsistencies in its first year of install with a young team.

PLEASANT SURPRISES:

*Hyde's weight loss has made him more agile but he hasn't lost any of his thump.

*Good showings by late round draft picks and UDFAs (Kittle, Taylor, DJ Jones, and Breida).

UNPLEASANT SURPRISES:

*The lack of interior pass rush (three first round picks on the d-line w/ two in the top ten and not much interior pressure to show for it).

*The 9ers first five picks in the draft haven't done anything of note yet, and two aren't even on the active roster when healthy (Thomas, Foster, Witherspoon, Beathard, Williams).

Fair assessment

Still we are a much better team than in the last 2 years

AND getting better!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hangman_52:
I like losing these close games. Still in line for that franchise changing QB in the draft and the games are fun to watch.

You just might get your wish, if the winless trend continues.
even if niner
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by paulk205:
Moral victories are for losers.

That's about right considering we will be lucky if we get to 6 wins.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

*CB is a major weakness.

PLEASANT SURPRISES:

UNPLEASANT SURPRISES:

Fair assessment

Still we are a much better team than in the last 2 years

AND getting better!

Yep.

They've lost coin flip games against a supposedly dominant Seahawks team and a vastly improved Rams team.

Three games in and they haven't played an unwatchable one yet.

That's definitely an improvement on the last two years.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Excuses and 0-3 is all I see, I hope they win a game, I don't like this we might have won that game mentality. Winning a game will feel like Mardi Gras in the WZ when they win

The cup is either half full or half empty.

Matter of perspective.

Here's mine,

This is YEAR ONE of the REBUILD!

As long as we see improvement every week, I'm happy.

Happy but not satisfied!

Winning is meaningless unless wins can be sustained.

Like that MEANINGLESS win last season against the Rams that lost us getting Garrett!

Remember that?

So by definition you're not happy, right? Because the defense regressed exponentially Thursday night.

Or are you just in the middle, since the offense looked better?

Optimism is fine. Blind optimism isn't.

Please share with us what was your expectations where we would be after 3 games in year #1
Originally posted by Polkadots:
So by definition you're not happy, right? Because the defense regressed exponentially Thursday night.

But the offense did improve.
Originally posted by miked1978:

But the offense did improve.

It's a three line response. Clearly stated in the second line

Or is today the day we consider context, noting the multitude of injuries the Rams' defense had?
Originally posted by Niners99:

Were 3 games into a 6+ year era, and starting from scratch.

Itd be pure comedy gold to see the fan reactions during Bill Walsh's first year.

Started 0-7, 1-13 and finished 2-14. Didn't score 30 a single week.

He would have been fired week 7 if social media existed back then.

Perhaps that is your definition, and not his?
Share 49ersWebzone