LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 263 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Reid is a distraction. Let some other team have that snowflake.
Originally posted by perfect_hair_day:
Reid is a distraction. Let some other team have that snowflake.

That's ridiculous! There are no distractions, you can tell by the celebration of the Giants win, this team is in it together.

Reid also lost his place whilst injured and embraced playing LB, before being asked to go back to safety, how did he respond? INT on first play and maybe his best game in 3 years.

I think our only chance of resigning him is if the rest of the league thinks as you do, it's about economics, for us he is a backup safety and Dime LB, for someone else he's a starting safety
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Best freak'n football thread on the net!

• Buchy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jgarf08:
I enjoy Shanahan's offense a ton, really big fan. I like how it has evolved from his Dad's offense taking in some of the Martz, spread, and traditional philosophy. Which kind of goes back to our discussion to the pass game being somewhat vanilla with CJ in the way they are teaching it but also in the limited amount of concepts they are running.

It would be interesting to hear your views on CJ, do you think he has potential to be a starter in the league or is he likely a backup?

I'm all in on Jimmy G but I'd like to see CJ succeed as he seems like a hard worker who could be coached out of his flaws, at least in my limited view of him.
Nice, I've enjoyed the posts on this thread.
I always look for ward to these threads
Originally posted by Buchy:
It would be interesting to hear your views on CJ, do you think he has potential to be a starter in the league or is he likely a backup?

I'm all in on Jimmy G but I'd like to see CJ succeed as he seems like a hard worker who could be coached out of his flaws, at least in my limited view of him.

I've touched on it here or there. The 1st thing I'll say is I'm pleasantly surprised by his physical tools, I was weary of his velocity when I watched him play at Iowa but seems he can make all the throws (still pretty inconsistently) and he's a better athlete than I assumed, so that's all good.

I think it's a tougher evaluation than normal, rookie QB with very little talent and a complex offensive system. I think the big red flag is some of things mentioned in the film threads. CJ either does not see the field well or is erratic with his eyes and doesn't trust what he sees. Now this can be attributed to him being behind a porous Oline and purely being a rookie, but I haven't see much progress as the season has went on in that department and it concerns me.

Ultimately I think CJ is a QB in the league for 10+ years, serving as a great backup with a few opportunities to start but never quite starter material. That being said I think he'll be in the top 3 of QBs in his draft class which is still impressive given he was a 3rd rounder. I was a big fan of Mahomes in the draft, I think he's going to be a good QB, Watson shown what he his capable of (I don't think prove to be as good as everyone thinks he is now, I wouldn't have drafted him), and Tribusky I was not a fan of.

But as others have stated on here, we went from no QBs to 2 capable ones. I am and have been a huge fan of Jimmy G so I think he have the answer but time will tell. And now CJ if nothing else has proven to a be a capable even +backup QB. 49ers are in much better position than they were at the start of the season,
Originally posted by jgarf08:
I've touched on it here or there. The 1st thing I'll say is I'm pleasantly surprised by his physical tools, I was weary of his velocity when I watched him play at Iowa but seems he can make all the throws (still pretty inconsistently) and he's a better athlete than I assumed, so that's all good.

I think it's a tougher evaluation than normal, rookie QB with very little talent and a complex offensive system. I think the big red flag is some of things mentioned in the film threads. CJ either does not see the field well or is erratic with his eyes and doesn't trust what he sees. Now this can be attributed to him being behind a porous Oline and purely being a rookie, but I haven't see much progress as the season has went on in that department and it concerns me.

Ultimately I think CJ is a QB in the league for 10+ years, serving as a great backup with a few opportunities to start but never quite starter material. That being said I think he'll be in the top 3 of QBs in his draft class which is still impressive given he was a 3rd rounder. I was a big fan of Mahomes in the draft, I think he's going to be a good QB, Watson shown what he his capable of (I don't think prove to be as good as everyone thinks he is now, I wouldn't have drafted him), and Tribusky I was not a fan of.

But as others have stated on here, we went from no QBs to 2 capable ones. I am and have been a huge fan of Jimmy G so I think he have the answer but time will tell. And now CJ if nothing else has proven to a be a capable even +backup QB. 49ers are in much better position than they were at the start of the season,

Well said.

Some of that is standard rookie stuff too. The hardest thing to get a rookie to do is read through progressions. BeatHard doesn't struggle with them but reads too fast through them at times and may not pull the trigger or trust throwing in anticipation...which can be very understandable given the OL and lack of consistent receivers and chemistry (lineup changing every week).

The trust, poise, dedication, toughness, etc. are ingrained there. I think he's picked up a pro offense better than any QB in this class by far and he is extremely coachable and part of that is because he's used virtual reality.

Next phase for him will be, once he fully masters the offense, front and back, and it's been an accelerated growth thus far, to focus on working within a phonebooth, timing on his progressions and mechanics.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 3, 2017 at 9:38 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Well said.

Some of that is standard rookie stuff too. The hardest thing to get a rookie to do is read through progressions. BeatHard doesn't struggle with them but reads too fast through them at times and may not pull the trigger or trust throwing in anticipation...which can be very understandable given the OL and lack of consistent receivers and chemistry (lineup changing every week).

The trust, poise, dedication, toughness, etc. are ingrained there. I think he's picked up a pro offense better than any QB in this class by far and he is extremely coachable and part of that is because he's used virtual reality.

Next phase for him will be, once he fully masters the offense, front and back, and it's been an accelerated growth thus far, to focus on working within a phonebooth, timing on his progressions and mechanics.

Very well said. I think the one thing that sticks in my mind, and trust me its largely irrelevant, but does he pass the eye test? Could you see CJ leading a weak offense to the playoffs? Could you see CJ ever being an MVP candidate? Probably not. I saw someone on here or somewhere compare him to Matt Hasselbeck, I think that's a very apt comparison.

Is there something you see I don't in terms of projecting CJ to be a long term starter? Again, given there's no point of evaluating his future at this point.
QB today looks pretty good so far. Int might have been a bit behind, but it was in the WR's hand going to the ground. As has been mentioned, it's eerie how similar his foot work is to Brady.

• thl408
Game #12
"Oh what a beautiful morrrrrning, ohhh what a beeautiful dayyyyyyy."

Don't know what the weather is like in Cali but out here we have a day that looks straight out of the Northwest region that I once called my home for 29 years. It's grey, rainy and cold.....(feels like a hot cup of cocoa and marshmallows to me )

But, despite being grey outside the outlook of the day is bright!

I could ramble on for a while about different players playing well or playing poorly(I'm looking at you T. Brown.....run blocking was turrrible) or about scheme vs scheme battles of Shanny vs Fangio(which was super fun to watch), or about how the All-22 view from Chicago's stadium is a lie.....

But who the crap cares about all that?!? We have a new freakin' QB to swoon over!

My take - he looked good(duh). But not just good, really good. Like.....really, really good....like, I almost cried.....

In all seriousness, you can see why people have been so high on this guy for quite some time. I was expecting to see some sort of scaled down plays. Like 1 read stuff like Seattle runs with the midget or only half field reads like we did with CK for a long time but it wasn't so.

While I'm sure his knowledge beyond these plays in this offense is fairly limited you can tell he has a really high football IQ. While Chicago's defense didn't have the pass rush it has we must remember that he's going against one of the best scheming coordinators in the league. Some coordinators look really good because they have elite talent and can get away with some stuff because they have top tier players. Fangio is a guy that is gonna make life hard for a QB. They don't show a lot pre-snap and you really have to know what you're looking for against his defenses.

One thing I was watching for with Jimmy was to see where his eyes were and how he was reading the field. He did an excellent job of identifying and making reads off his key defenders - even when it wasn't made simple for him.

That was really encouraging. He also showed patience with some concepts when they needed it and his footwork was the best I've seen here since at least Garcia.

The accuracy has been talked about to death but it can't be understated. He put balls in the right place for receivers to catch and run. That, coupled with his good footwork and the ball coming out on time(oh my gerrrrsh!).

Speaking of the ball out on time. He wasn't just dropping back and flinging a ball to get it out on time, he only thew it if it was open and avoided making the big mistake. But, if the play was open he threw it on time. Which, again, is something we've been missing for at least 6 years(Gabbert had a few moments when the ball came out on time but then it would land 8 yards short of the target.....)

I saw numerous plays where it was a 5 step drop - with no hitch step, and the moment his backfoot landed on his 5th step his was going into his throwing motion. That's the essence of WCO football. Get the ball out, on time, in a spot for a receiver to catch and run.

I've never, ever, ever, ever been this excited about our offense. This could get really fun the next few years, fellas. Lets hope it's not a letdown, but to see the consistency from his film in NE to here was very, very encouraging and tells you it's more than just a tease.
I hear you jonny. I dam near teared up just watching competent qb play.
  • thl408
JG had about as good a game that a QB can have without scoring a TD. CHI gave lots of zone looks throughout the game and JG showed that he understood holes in the coverage. CHI did come with consecutive blitzes on 3rd down, backed with man coverage, (3rd quarter) and JG beat it both times to convert. Kyle did a good job via formation/motion to give JG a good presnap read of the coverage. Many times a TE or RB would line up wide outside the numbers to provide a clear presnap read for JG. Kyle also used spread formations so that JG had some familiarity (NE does this a lot with Brady). JG loves throwing the short Out route. This was noticeable watching his NE film, and in this game it continued. He throws it with confidence and high accuracy.

JG's high school coach was interviewed and was asked something like "what will you be watching on Sunday?". He said, "I'll be watching his feet". I'll show a play where JG threw a short Out route on rhythm, with pinpoint accuracy, to the left side of the field as an example of how polished his footwork is. It's important to remember that while JG is a 3 year vet, he has very little playing experience, so there's really no way that the game has completely slowed down for him like how it would for a true vet. Just so I can say that JG didn't play a perfect game, there were two red zone plays where I thought JG could have made a better decision, I'll try to show those.

Defensively the 49ers played used a conservative gameplan. Knowing that CHI has no weapons in the passing game, and a rookie QB that isn't being given much in terms of passing game complexity, the 49ers were able to stick to their defensive philosophy of forcing the opposing offense to string together long drives in order to score. CHI was able to do that once for their offensive TD - and nothing after that. Foster, DeFo, and Day showed up in the run game defense helping limit Jordan Howard to a yards per carry average below 3. That's the bulk of their offense right there. Reid had a huge stop on CHI's final drive to force a 3rd and long, which they failed to convert, to set up the winning FG drive.
  • thl408
Forgot to mention Trent Taylor who had such a good game. Watching him make moves at the break in his route is a thing of beauty. He understands that he cannot allow the defender to make contact with him (to grab) so he always makes his move 1-2 yards away if the defender is playing a "catch" technique where they play off, then as the WR approaches they grab the WR to impede the break in the route. Now the CB's catch technique is more "reach for air" technique.
Share 49ersWebzone