There are 267 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2017 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
Originally posted by defenderDX:

smash is the two receiver combo on the left side, its a corner with a short route in the flat... only coverage it does not work against well is quarters as Jonny mentions

yeah I know what a smash concept is, but his wording was weird.

"doesnt work well against cover 4"

"hoyer has to see it is NOT a cover 2, which it works well against"
Since this thread is about to die, just wanted to say thanks. This thread gives me a much better understanding of the game and makes me appreciate it much more.
Originally posted by eastcoastfortyniner:
Since this thread is about to die, just wanted to say thanks. This thread gives me a much better understanding of the game and makes me appreciate it much more.

there will be one next week. (this week now). no worries
Well hello once again, my football peeps! Good to see y'all haven't tired of the season yet and have taken time out of your day to stop by the film thread, once again.

I'm not going to do a big breakdown of the whole team as I think there's one primary interest this week. How did DJ Jones do? Right? Isn't that the burning question this week?

No? Ok, I guess we can move on to the 2nd biggest question from this week - CJ Beathard, or BeatHard, whichever way you want to call him.

Overall, I thought he did well in the game. I'd agree with Shanny and what his teammates have said. The game doesn't appear to big for him. He did just what you'd expect from a solid rookie. He recognized familiar coverages and made some nice throws and plays. He also showed a lot of toughness to stay in the pocket and look downfield. The thing I liked the most was his ability to keep his eyes down-field with the rush coming at him. That's something that a lot of rookie QB's don't have. They'll tunnel vision when pressured or look to run immediately. He didn't.

What did he not do well? He struggled with variations on regular coverage's as I doubt he'd seen that much in college. Though, that will come with time and reps and is something he's not getting much of against our defense as we don't mix up our coverages a ton and what CJ struggled against were things that our defense doesn't do a whole lot of.

His footwork was also rather poor on a lot of throws. He has the arm talent, just not the footwork to have as a foundation for that arm talent enough. If you look at him compared to K. Cousins, Cousins' footwork is wayyyy better. However, I would expect that from a guy who's been in a WCO for his whole career and has multiple years in the league. It's not saying CJ can't develop that or get much better at it, it just means it's an area of weakness right now.

Anywho, on with the film!!! Once more into the breach we shall go!
Let's Go!

No high level stuff here....I just love the look of undercenter splitbacks. The Back ran a wheel route. The two outer most WR ran whip/return type routes and the slot guy ran an Middle breaking route. The wheel was the throw and got the flag. I'd bring willing to bet we've seen this play out of the guy.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Oct 18, 2017 at 9:53 AM ]
Here's CJ's very first pass in a regular season NFL game.

Here, it's a simple play but actually takes quite a bit from the QB to execute. Now, I can't be sure that Shanny put all this on his play and may have just said, "throw it instead of handing it off", we don't know. But, for the sake of hope I'm going to assume he didn't and gave him the responsibility.

On this play we're going to have an RPO(run-pass option). A play where it's designed as both a run and pass play and it's up to the QB to choose which option based off the defense. We did this quite a bit with CK when he was here. It takes a QB with both a strong arm and quick release to really hit these plays to full effectiveness.

What he's got to do is read if it's zone or man coverage. If it's zone, he'll look to throw it as zone defenders are more easily manipulated by run action as man defenders' first responsibility is coverage.

We put Garcon in the slot for an unbalanced set. With the safety coming over Garcon and the single high safety, pared with Kittle's back and forth motion reveal zone coverage. What this tells CJ is that the 2 outside defenders will maintain outside leverage and so there should be a space between the WILL backer and the outside defenders to hit Celek.

The reason I think this is an RPO instead of a pass play is how Kilgore fires out. On PA passes lineman will be careful to not get too far downfield as if a lineman gets past 1.5 yards downfield it's a penalty.

With the LB's moved because of the run action it's opened up a spot for Celek and CJ turns quickly and fires a bullet in to Celek.

He's able to hit Celek for a nice 13 yard gain.

Originally posted by Niners816:

No high level stuff here....I just love the look of undercenter splitbacks. The Back ran a wheel route. The two outer most WR ran whip/return type routes and the slot guy ran an Middle breaking route. The wheel was the throw and got the flag. I'd bring willing to bet we've seen this play out of the guy.
I saw that formation and immediately thought, "niners816 is gonna LOVE that formation!" LOL
Originally posted by jonnydel:

Are we to believe that Fusco is the best option we have at RG on this entire team? Watching him makes my eyes bleed.

Originally posted by Niners816:

I saw that formation and immediately thought, "niners816 is gonna LOVE that formation!" LOL

Haha...I'm a simple, simple man
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

Are we to believe that Fusco is the best option we have at RG on this entire team? Watching him makes my eyes bleed.
He's not. He's our 2nd string RG. We were supposed to have Garnett there this year but he got IR'd.
More please.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:

He's not. He's our 2nd string RG. We were supposed to have Garnett there this year but he got IR'd.

Understood jonny, I just have trouble imagining that Fusco is better than everybody else on our roster and Practice Squad.
Burning question: How did D.J. Jones do in coverage? Any PBU's?
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 18, 2017 at 10:16 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone