49ers vs. Broncos Tickets Available! →

There are 757 users in the forums

Preseason Game 1 2017: Thoughts after rewatching the game....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Totally disagree on Solomon imo you can see the "it" factor on him since day one...just by the way he approaches the game.

I can't remember, but weren't you very much against drafting foster?


That said happy to have this thread back! Always look forward to it even if we don't always see it the same.


1) Don't get me wrong. The "it" I'm referring to is something I can't describe really...just an athletic ability that just looks nearly inhuman. I loved what I saw from Solomon he just has some work to do.

2) No, I wasn't against drafting Foster predraft and just about jumped out of my seat when I saw they traded up.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Aug 14, 2017 at 11:16 AM ]
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Good to see these posts again!

Marvin, what do you think of Bourne? something special or just preseason plays made against subpar talent. To me, that 2pt conversion pass showed great value. The ability to win those 1-on-1 matches is great. I hope to see more of him and push for that WR6 spot

I kinda think that was just a preseason thing. The TD was caused by a fallen defender, but the 2 pt conversion was more impressive to me.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 34,498
Originally posted by Joecool:
On Bowman, he actually reminded me of the older Ray Lewis by the way he moved. Hope he gets his game legs back like he did last season just before he got hurt.

Agree, and even if he is 1,000% recovered, Id still want to get depth behind him. Reuben is a great start to keeping that position strong, and maybe add more depth in next years free agency/draft cycle.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Good to see these posts again!

Marvin, what do you think of Bourne? something special or just preseason plays made against subpar talent. To me, that 2pt conversion pass showed great value. The ability to win those 1-on-1 matches is great. I hope to see more of him and push for that WR6 spot

I kinda think that was just a preseason thing. The TD was caused by a fallen defender, but the 2 pt conversion was more impressive to me.

Bourne did break his ankles whiched caused him to fall (Db)
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Aug 14, 2017 at 11:21 AM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) Don't get me wrong. The "it" I'm referring to is something I can't describe really...just an athletic ability that just looks nearly inhuman. I loved what I saw from Solomon he just has some work to do.

2) No, I wasn't against drafting Foster predraft and just about jumped out of my seat when I saw they traded up.

Okay my bad, I can't remember who's draft thread was dead set against drafting him based on off field stuff (didn't think he had leadership skills) and had him far down on their draft board 🤔

I wasn't on the bandwagon for foster at two I'll admit that, but at 31 hell ya lol.

See to me his (Thomas) athletic ability is one of the major things that jumps off the screen... He also seems very polished for a 21 yr old. He's just scratching the surface which is amazing

If both these guys can stay healthy we got some cornerstones on D for years

I also agree OL is gonna be an issue this yr and I'll add DB to that list as well....I hope that's something that is worked on hard next off season.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Aug 14, 2017 at 11:29 AM ]
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 33,332
Nice to have you back Marvin. Agree on Foster. Not only does he have "it" on the field, he also seems to bring it with his intangibles. He's going to be a leader type for this defense. He's got instincts on top of instincts.

You sure graded tough on Solly. I thought he flashed more than just a couple times. For a guy that had little practice time with the team, facing NFL action for the first time, I thought he was awesome. I knew he would play against the 2s. Did not want to see him get overwhelmed and he wasn't.

The new offensive scheme is going to take awhile to install. It is a complete opposite from last season where Chip rarely substituted and used two personnel groups the majority of the team. Kyle will substitute a lot and we saw the consequences of this when they aligned incorrectly to negate a would be 3rd down conversion. Guys sub in and out, have to learn so many formations, line up incorrectly.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Good to see these posts again!

Marvin, what do you think of Bourne? something special or just preseason plays made against subpar talent. To me, that 2pt conversion pass showed great value. The ability to win those 1-on-1 matches is great. I hope to see more of him and push for that WR6 spot

I kinda think that was just a preseason thing. The TD was caused by a fallen defender, but the 2 pt conversion was more impressive to me.

Bourne did break his ankles whiched caused him to fall (Db)

I had been watching his workouts (when he couldn't come to camp cause of school) and film (draftbreakdown) and any other clips I could find and I was really impressed with him. Strong hands, quick feet, and he has a smoothness to his route running.

Really hope he makes the team, but he's gonna have to get rolling on the ST stuff.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 34,498
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by JustinNiner:
Good to see these posts again!

Marvin, what do you think of Bourne? something special or just preseason plays made against subpar talent. To me, that 2pt conversion pass showed great value. The ability to win those 1-on-1 matches is great. I hope to see more of him and push for that WR6 spot

I kinda think that was just a preseason thing. The TD was caused by a fallen defender, but the 2 pt conversion was more impressive to me.

Bourne did break his ankles whiched caused him to fall (Db)

Now that was an impressive move.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Joecool:
On Bowman, he actually reminded me of the older Ray Lewis by the way he moved. Hope he gets his game legs back like he did last season just before he got hurt.

Agree, and even if he is 1,000% recovered, Id still want to get depth behind him. Reuben is a great start to keeping that position strong, and maybe add more depth in next years free agency/draft cycle.

Good call!

I hope he progresses into game #2

We'll have a better idea by the time preseason is over.
[ Edited by LasVegasWally on Aug 14, 2017 at 11:37 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) Don't get me wrong. The "it" I'm referring to is something I can't describe really...just an athletic ability that just looks nearly inhuman. I loved what I saw from Solomon he just has some work to do.

2) No, I wasn't against drafting Foster predraft and just about jumped out of my seat when I saw they traded up.

Okay my bad, I can't remember who's draft thread was dead set against drafting him based on off field stuff (didn't think he had leadership skills) and had him far down on their draft board 🤔

I wasn't on the bandwagon for foster at two I'll admit that, but at 31 hell ya lol.

See to me his (Thomas) athletic ability is one of the major things that jumps off the screen... He also seems very polished for a 21 yr old. He's just scratching the surface which is amazing

If both these guys can stay healthy we got some cornerstones on D for years

I also agree OL is gonna be an issue this yr and I'll add DB to that list as well....I hope that's something that is worked on hard next off season.

Who knows, next week I could be saying that I see "it".

My point about "it" though was more of something I RARELY see in any player this early and not seeing it doesn't at all mean they won't be a superstar.

Solomon probably had a better game than Reuben did. This is what I'm trying to get at...the "it" I'm talking about can't really be described. Its not just athleticism. Its not just any one or 2 things. Its just something I know when I see it and Reuben has it.

a few weeks from now I could be seeing those same things in Solomon, but I rarely see something that tells me right off the bat "star". Not "look he looks pretty good and played really well" but otherworldly "OMG that dudes not human".

Rueben didn't even really have any splash plays so as I've said before, I can't describe it.

Make no mistake though, I'm very happy with how good Solomon looked particularly in light of how little he played at Stanford and how he missed all of OTAs.
Originally posted by thl408:
Nice to have you back Marvin. Agree on Foster. Not only does he have "it" on the field, he also seems to bring it with his intangibles. He's going to be a leader type for this defense. He's got instincts on top of instincts.

You sure graded tough on Solly. I thought he flashed more than just a couple times. For a guy that had little practice time with the team, facing NFL action for the first time, I thought he was awesome. I knew he would play against the 2s. Did not want to see him get overwhelmed and he wasn't.

The new offensive scheme is going to take awhile to install. It is a complete opposite from last season where Chip rarely substituted and used two personnel groups the majority of the team. Kyle will substitute a lot and we saw the consequences of this when they aligned incorrectly to negate a would be 3rd down conversion. Guys sub in and out, have to learn so many formations, line up incorrectly.

LOL.

See...I knew when I said that Foster had "it" and I didn't see it in Solomon (yet) it might have been misconstrued.

To be clear, Solomon played a better game than Reuben did and had some flash plays in there that were really impressive.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
1) Don't get me wrong. The "it" I'm referring to is something I can't describe really...just an athletic ability that just looks nearly inhuman. I loved what I saw from Solomon he just has some work to do.

2) No, I wasn't against drafting Foster predraft and just about jumped out of my seat when I saw they traded up.

Okay my bad, I can't remember who's draft thread was dead set against drafting him based on off field stuff (didn't think he had leadership skills) and had him far down on their draft board 🤔

I wasn't on the bandwagon for foster at two I'll admit that, but at 31 hell ya lol.

See to me his (Thomas) athletic ability is one of the major things that jumps off the screen... He also seems very polished for a 21 yr old. He's just scratching the surface which is amazing

If both these guys can stay healthy we got some cornerstones on D for years

I also agree OL is gonna be an issue this yr and I'll add DB to that list as well....I hope that's something that is worked on hard next off season.

Who knows, next week I could be saying that I see "it".

My point about "it" though was more of something I RARELY see in any player this early and not seeing it doesn't at all mean they won't be a superstar.

Solomon probably had a better game than Reuben did. This is what I'm trying to get at...the "it" I'm talking about can't really be described. Its not just athleticism. Its not just any one or 2 things. Its just something I know when I see it and Reuben has it.

a few weeks from now I could be seeing those same things in Solomon, but I rarely see something that tells me right off the bat "star". Not "look he looks pretty good and played really well" but otherworldly "OMG that dudes not human".

Rueben didn't even really have any splash plays so as I've said before, I can't describe it.

Make no mistake though, I'm very happy with how good Solomon looked particularly in light of how little he played at Stanford and how he missed all of OTAs.

No doubt I know what you're saying
Anybody noticed how Hoyer double tap before letting the ball go? a couple of throws he allowed the defender to react and break the play.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Okay my bad, I can't remember who's draft thread was dead set against drafting him based on off field stuff (didn't think he had leadership skills) and had him far down on their draft board 🤔

I wasn't on the bandwagon for foster at two I'll admit that, but at 31 hell ya lol.

See to me his (Thomas) athletic ability is one of the major things that jumps off the screen... He also seems very polished for a 21 yr old. He's just scratching the surface which is amazing

If both these guys can stay healthy we got some cornerstones on D for years

I also agree OL is gonna be an issue this yr and I'll add DB to that list as well....I hope that's something that is worked on hard next off season.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Okay my bad, I can't remember who's draft thread was dead set against drafting him based on off field stuff (didn't think he had leadership skills) and had him far down on their draft board 🤔

I wasn't on the bandwagon for foster at two I'll admit that, but at 31 hell ya lol.

See to me his (Thomas) athletic ability is one of the major things that jumps off the screen... He also seems very polished for a 21 yr old. He's just scratching the surface which is amazing

If both these guys can stay healthy we got some cornerstones on D for years

I also agree OL is gonna be an issue this yr and I'll add DB to that list as well....I hope that's something that is worked on hard next off season.

Maddog was against drafting Foster, but not for his physical traits but for his mental.
Yeah, Rueben is the kind of kid that if we're down, will be on the sidelines pumping everyone up. Real intangibles.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone