LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 267 users in the forums

The Uniform Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Yeah, I liked to match up looks, namely an 80's style "summer uniform" (Aug-Sep) with the standard gold helmets and pants + white cleats, transitioning to "autumn unis" (Oct-Nov) where the dropshadow #'s, white or silver pants, and black cleats are gradually introduced, then the "winter uniform" (Dec-playoffs) with lots of red, white, and striped socks (For a Christmassy feel)...I liked to think having such a "scheduled" set of uniforms would also help identify which games were played which month lol

That... is the coolest idea ever.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
These were my concepts from a few years ago (2012)...

...team would've been all "Oregon" and transition to different sets every month. The alternate is a "fauxback" in that it is an adaptation/amalgamation of different elements from their past uniforms of the 50's and early 60's (namely the 1955 unis with dropshadows and white pants + the 1962-63 unis with silver helmets and pants). Notice I too liked the "49" shield logo as a jersey patch!

Alas, the stupid new rule banning different color helmet shells precludes these ever happening.

I like those "fauxbacks" a lot. That would be the only other alternate Id accept if we aren't gonna go with a 94 inspired alt.
I wish we could do what New England has been doing since '03, two (reduced) white stripes above the upper portion of the socks.

This all goes back to the early 90's, when the Steve Young era began we ditched the stripes on our socks, and hence every other team but a few followed. It can work, it's just all about the length, and design.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
I wish we could do what New England has been doing since '03, two (reduced) white stripes above the upper portion of the socks.

This all goes back to the early 90's, when the Steve Young era began we ditched the stripes on our socks, and hence every other team but a few followed. It can work, it's just all about the length, and design.

The Bears are one of the few teams that still have the stripes on the socks. Still looks real good.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
This kid looks like he's wearing the new jersey with the two stripes on the sleeves.

[ Edited by mayo49 on Aug 6, 2017 at 11:18 PM ]
Looking at twitter and seen the official Niners page tweet out this video, new stripes on the sleeve look sooo much better than the old ones.

https://twitter.com/49ers/status/896136673431506946
Originally posted by All_Knowing:
Looking at twitter and seen the official Niners page tweet out this video, new stripes on the sleeve look sooo much better than the old ones.

https://twitter.com/49ers/status/896136673431506946

Dont get why we cant just put 3 stripes
  • THEB
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Please, discuss everything uniform here. The NFL will be changing uniform brands from Adidas to Nike this year, so I thought I'd create a uniform thread. I heard they'll be changing the stripes on the 49ers uni's this year, but I don't see it reflected on the current jerseys being sold. It's still early, but I'm hoping this change happens sooner rather than later. Thank you and discuss.

Huh? i thought the jersey was Nike last year? They went from Reebok to Nike i thought...
Originally posted by THEB:
Please, discuss everything uniform here. The NFL will be changing uniform brands from Adidas to Nike this year, so I thought I'd create a uniform thread. I heard they'll be changing the stripes on the 49ers uni's this year, but I don't see it reflected on the current jerseys being sold. It's still early, but I'm hoping this change happens sooner rather than later. Thank you and discuss.

Huh? i thought the jersey was Nike last year? They went from Reebok to Nike i thought...

Its a new Nike jersey template for a buncha teams this season....the ones from 2012 that has that collar stitching have been dumped

2001 and prior: each team could negotiate their own uniform supplier; examples were Wilson, Adidas, Puma, Nike, Reebok

2002-2011: Reebok get league-wide contract to outfit all teams for 10 years

2012-present: Nike takes over from Reebok, introduce their own template

2017: Nike revamps uniform template
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
They're wearing their new Nike jerseys, with the two stripes.

• mayo49
  • Veteran
The two stripes look sooo much better.
The two stripes look sooo much better.

Too cowboyish...but we'll get used to them
I think they looked great. The sleeve stripes are consistent with the stripe on the helmet and pants.

Give the entire set a more uniform, for lack of a better term, look.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by linkboy:
I think they looked great. The sleeve stripes are consistent with the stripe on the helmet and pants.

Give the entire set a more uniform, for lack of a better term, look.

No, your right - it gives it a uniform look. Now, to just get them to add it to the socks.
Share 49ersWebzone