And with white pants:

Put a gold stripe in between the 2 red stripes on the pants and it's perfect
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Nothing is better than my new design..

" New Era, New Dynasty "

Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Put a gold stripe in between the 2 red stripes on the pants and it's perfect

Yeah, I had played around with the gold stripe. I can see how some folks would like it. I found it a little too much. Like, if you go back to the 94 uniforms, the thing I didn't like about the white pants was the black stripe up the middle. With the two red stripes, the pant stripes match the shoulder stripes. I always think that's the cleanest look.

In the end, I'd like to add the option of the white pants for some games, but not get rid of the gold pants. Not a lot of teams do color jersey with color pants, so it's somewhat unique and also looks pretty good. But it'd be nice to have the whites for that sort of clean look. Plus adding white pants to the black jerseys make them almost bearable. Not quite, but almost.

Glad you liked the idea though, thanks for the input.

Scrap the Black Alts and give me the white pants with gold maybe twice at home and twice on the road and I'd be good. That would be a killer set with a little diversity.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Jul 29, 2017 at 7:00 PM ]
Originally posted by Still_too_soon:
Yeah, I had played around with the gold stripe. I can see how some folks would like it. I found it a little too much. Like, if you go back to the 94 uniforms, the thing I didn't like about the white pants was the black stripe up the middle. With the two red stripes, the pant stripes match the shoulder stripes. I always think that's the cleanest look.

In the end, I'd like to add the option of the white pants for some games, but not get rid of the gold pants. Not a lot of teams do color jersey with color pants, so it's somewhat unique and also looks pretty good. But it'd be nice to have the whites for that sort of clean look. Plus adding white pants to the black jerseys make them almost bearable. Not quite, but almost.

Glad you liked the idea though, thanks for the input.

The '94 unis were based off the 1955 design...uniforms and pants designs made less sense back then (there was less need for uniforms to stand out for TV broadcasts). Teams also used to mix and match different designs (different jerseys with the previous seasons pants or vice versa) due to equipment budget constraints, especially in preseason. The 1994 white pants with red-black-red stripes was kept for uniformity with the black dropshadows on the jersey numbers of the original 1955 design.

The main reason the 1955 design was chosen during the '94 offseason by team brass (players also had input in choice) was because the 1955 uniforms stood out from all the other early 49ers uniforms (most of which were the bland Stanford-style red jersey, beige pants look) in having dropshadows and the red-black-red pant stripes, while also being distinct from the 1964-1995 tan pants uniforms worn at the time.
[ Edited by Dr_Bill_Walsh on Jul 30, 2017 at 10:55 AM ]
The '94 unis were based off the 1955 design...uniforms and pants designs made less sense back then (there was less need for uniforms to stand out for TV broadcasts). Teams also used to mix and match different designs (different jerseys with the previous seasons pants or vice versa) due to equipment budget constraints, especially in preseason. The 1994 white pants with red-black-red stripes was kept for uniformity with the black dropshadows on the jersey numbers of the original 1955 design.

The main reason the 1955 design was chosen during the '94 offseason by team brass (players also had input in choice) was because the 1955 uniforms stood out from all the other early 49ers uniforms (most of which were the bland Stanford-style red jersey, beige pants look) in having dropshadows and the red-black-red pant stripes, while also being distinct from the 1964-1995 tan pants uniforms worn at the time.

Yeah, I assumed that they picked it for aesthetics, because that 55 team wasn't exactly good. Ha.

And in the context, I understand why they would do a black stripe. It would look top heavy with the thick black drop-shadow on the jersey if there were no matching stripe on the pants. It's just that I don't like drop-shadows, and I don't like the 49ers using the color black, at all. Granted, having only red white and gold to work with is more limiting. And when you add in the team's history, and the need to preserve certain aspects of the uniform to create some continuity, it really is kind of hard to come up with something that is totally new and totally fresh, while living up to the beloved things that have worked.

I honestly like the gold pants, in as far as there aren't a lot of teams that do it. I like the three stripes for the same reason. It's not easy to differentiate in the NFL and still look good. I'd be open to adding white pants as an option a few times a year though. Frankly, I think that all white look you get with white pants and the away jersey could be the cleanest look the Niners could possibly get. Though, my ideal uniform, if I could do absolutely anything I wanted to do would be to remove the pant and helmet stripes all together, darken the gold a little bit (back to where it was with Joe) go back to the three stripes on the sleeves and the socks, and call it a day.

Also, thanks to you for updating the shoulder numbers and the name badge, which I had forgotten.

Yeah, I assumed that they picked it for aesthetics, because that 55 team wasn't exactly good. Ha.

And in the context, I understand why they would do a black stripe. It would look top heavy with the thick black drop-shadow on the jersey if there were no matching stripe on the pants. It's just that I don't like drop-shadows, and I don't like the 49ers using the color black, at all. Granted, having only red white and gold to work with is more limiting. And when you add in the team's history, and the need to preserve certain aspects of the uniform to create some continuity, it really is kind of hard to come up with something that is totally new and totally fresh, while living up to the beloved things that have worked.

I honestly like the gold pants, in as far as there aren't a lot of teams that do it. I like the three stripes for the same reason. It's not easy to differentiate in the NFL and still look good. I'd be open to adding white pants as an option a few times a year though. Frankly, I think that all white look you get with white pants and the away jersey could be the cleanest look the Niners could possibly get. Though, my ideal uniform, if I could do absolutely anything I wanted to do would be to remove the pant and helmet stripes all together, darken the gold a little bit (back to where it was with Joe) go back to the three stripes on the sleeves and the socks, and call it a day.

Also, thanks to you for updating the shoulder numbers and the name badge, which I had forgotten.

I like all your concepts....the are clean and the "49" patch just looks right on them and can easily be subbed out for anniversary years.
Originally posted by Niners816:
I like all your concepts....the are clean and the "49" patch just looks right on them and can easily be subbed out for anniversary years.

Thanks! It's a good template to use, makes things look better on paper than in your head sometimes. Yeah, that was what I was thinking about the patch. It's my favorite old 49er logo. They could have it as a regular, and just doctor it, or sub it out when they want to celebrate something. More and more they are using that shield shape for anniversaries and whatever. Why not just always have it? It's not too busy. Steelers have a logo there all the time.
These were my concepts from a few years ago (2012)...

...team would've been all "Oregon" and transition to different sets every month. The alternate is a "fauxback" in that it is an adaptation/amalgamation of different elements from their past uniforms of the 50's and early 60's (namely the 1955 unis with dropshadows and white pants + the 1962-63 unis with silver helmets and pants). Notice I too liked the "49" shield logo as a jersey patch!

Alas, the stupid new rule banning different color helmet shells precludes these ever happening.
These were my concepts from a few years ago (2012)...

...team would've been all "Oregon" and transition to different sets every month. The alternate is a "fauxback" in that it is an adaptation/amalgamation of different elements from their past uniforms of the 50's and early 60's (namely the 1955 unis with dropshadows and white pants + the 1962-63 unis with silver helmets and pants). Notice I too liked the "49" shield logo as a jersey patch!

Alas, the stupid new rule banning different color helmet shells precludes these ever happening.

Those are awesome. The NFL needs to lighten up on some of these uni rules. You did one other thing I should mention, which is moving to white shoes. Should be done, it's just a better look.
Those are awesome. The NFL needs to lighten up on some of these uni rules. You did one other thing I should mention, which is moving to white shoes. Should be done, it's just a better look.

Yeah, I liked to match up looks, namely an 80's style "summer uniform" (Aug-Sep) with the standard gold helmets and pants + white cleats, transitioning to "autumn unis" (Oct-Nov) where the dropshadow #'s, white or silver pants, and black cleats are gradually introduced, then the "winter uniform" (Dec-playoffs) with lots of red, white, and striped socks (For a Christmassy feel)...I liked to think having such a "scheduled" set of uniforms would also help identify which games were played which month lol
Share 49ersWebzone