49ers vs. Broncos Tickets Available! →

There are 755 users in the forums

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers Head Coach Kyle Shanahan Thread

Originally posted by genus49:
We will see soon enough. I hope you're right. I just can't buy all in on week 1 given the travel situation and Garrett being injured and no Donald.

But like I said I hope you're 100% right.

I don't disagree, but I would rather have the 49ers' dealing with Bosa's strained calf being out for 4 weeks than Myle Garrett who literally had to have surgery on his knee midseason with no real idea when he'll come back and how he'll perform.
Originally posted by SB49er4life:
Not true. Even the 49ers got lucky some of the time they won the Super Bowl. Remember the famous "The Catch" game vs Dallas in 1981? Joe Montana thew 3 INT's that game and AFTER Dwight Clark's TD, the Cowboy's dropped a deep TD that would have given them the win. I think for sure there were some dominant teams that won so convincingly you can't call it luck, but I do think flukey things determine SB winners and losers more often than not.

The argument of "Luck vs Make Your Own Luck" is a tricky a one. Sure, there are many plays throughout a game where a team could have done something better. But does that excuse a HORRIBLE, controversial call at a critical juncture or a fluke injury to a key player?

The 1st Super Bowl they lost under Harbaugh, Justin Smith tore his triceps in the NFCCG vs ATL. He might as well not even have played in the Super Bowl, he was a shell of himself, and that was the heart and soul of their D. I wasn't a big fan of going to Michael Crabtree with the game on the line on 4th & Goal, but he was held like a motherf**ker and the refs called nothing.

Regardless of the 49ers D collapsing in the 4th against the Chiefs, Nick Bosa was in a choke hold on 4th & 23. You can't just blatantly break the rules and say "Ah, well it's their fault for not playing better".

2022 was probably the best team. Brock Purdy was on a historic run for a rookie QB, the team had won 12 straight, and he blows his elbow out on the 1st pass play of the game. The Eagles beat a team with no QB.

The last Super Bowl, the 49ers were choking out the Chiefs' offense, held them to 3 points and Travis Kelce to 4 yards then Dre Greenlaw blows his Achilles out on the sideline. Darrell Luter has a punt he can't possibly see bounce off his calf at the end of the 3rd quarter when the Chiefs still only had 3 points.

So let me ask you this- WHAT did the Chiefs' or Ravens have to "Overcome" to win those SB's? Because last I checked, everyone was healthy and every single call went in their favor. What did the Seahawks have to "overcome" last year when they one?

Sometimes it's literally when you play the game. You brought up The Catch game. Play that game EXACTLY the same way under today's NFL rules and Cowboys win that game after they're given a 15 yard penalty on top of Pearson's catch. They can simply run a couple of run plays and kick the game winning FG.

Similarly had the 49ers played played KC the exact same way as they did in 2023 with the rules that Walsh had in 1981...they win that SB.

Another reason why bashing Shanahan for the SB failure is so dumb - yes it's the ultimate prize in the end but it's not always on the HC. Plus the HC Kyle lost to will be in the HOF, as will his DC.
Originally posted by SB49er4life:
Originally posted by genus49:
We will see soon enough. I hope you're right. I just can't buy all in on week 1 given the travel situation and Garrett being injured and no Donald.

But like I said I hope you're 100% right.

I don't disagree, but I would rather have the 49ers' dealing with Bosa's strained calf being out for 4 weeks than Myle Garrett who literally had to have surgery on his knee midseason with no real idea when he'll come back and how he'll perform.

I get that. Issue is the Rams outside of Garrett are very healthy on the DL. We're getting a rash of injuries in the same unit so not only are we top heavy with Nick as the only real edge rusher of worth but we're likely going into this Arizona game down - 6 DLmen since the 53 man cut downs. That's brutal. That's 66% of our DLmen who made the 53.

I sure hope we can weather the storm with these injuries. It will take a lot though. Arizona is up first and I sure hope we can get the W there but Denver and Seattle games will be brutal. They have defenses strong enough to limit our offensive output but also have some of the stronger offensive lines in the game which will make it very difficult for the defense to get stops.
Originally posted by SB49er4life:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Yeah this isn't fun anymore. I was trying to be optimistic this season but the injuries are just to much. I'm so tired of dealing with this team and these injuries year after year. God they f**ked up in 19 and 23 this would be much easier to deal with had we won those seasons we were actually healthy.

Yes, because players getting injured is the coaches fault. Totally. Kyle Shanahan shouldn't call plays that risk his players getting injured, good coaches only call plays with 0 injury risk.

The Nick Bosa injury sucks. Losing him for 4 games is a blow. The Stribling injury was a gut shot. The critical, random injuries in big games to Purdy, Greenlaw, Feliciano, etc were heartbreaking.

But all that being said, at the end of the day, I can go to sleep at night safe and secure knowing that people like you have 0 say in any type of football operation decisions the 49ers make.

I think you quoted the wrong person or you can't read.
Another phenomenal game by the best coach in the NFL
Shotgun empty backfield 2:10 minutes left on first and 10?

Really...
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Shotgun empty backfield 2:10 minutes left on first and 10?

Really...

What's that? ... I couldn't hear you over 3-0, 2-0 in the division.
Originally posted by HearstFan:
How and who is going to come up with the game plan to beat Seattle's defense? The 9ers and Rams have to be working on this constantly.

Ok, the Seahawks defense isn't just exceptional personnel. Their personnel look exceptional because the scheme is so incredibly sound at stopping each opponent's offense. But overall, their defensive philosophy seems to be to smother an offense with a medium and high shell of disciplined and tight coverage at those depths, which gives the DL time to get pressure. Exploit the OL's protection rules to create free rushers (similar to Brian Flores).

What they are totally willing to give up is the underneath routes - even the crossers - with the discipline of the shell to rally to the tackle and keep it short gains. The other area they leave vulnerable is the outside deep, which is still harder to attack when a deep shell can react to the outside.

I think part of this plan is to wait for the offensive to get impatient with the suffocating play and constant struggle to convert 3rd downs - and then an offense presses and either get's incompletions or turnovers in the medium and deep routes.

1. Do you try to come up with a run plan that can get them out of the shell coverage of their LBs and DBs?
2. I think Evans and Stribling (with the expectation of Pearsall's speed across the middle) were intended to attach the deep outside.

ANY IDEAS?

rainy day, backup qb flexed on mcdonald and we hype these guys up like they are the 85 bears lol this is our posts on here
  • 91til
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,239
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Another phenomenal game by the best coach in the NFL

Hook and lateral in the first quarter for an 80 yard touchdown… gotta love it
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 34,497
Originally posted by 91til:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Another phenomenal game by the best coach in the NFL

Hook and lateral in the first quarter for an 80 yard touchdown… gotta love it

That was a great playcall. Genius playcalling in my opinion.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 34,497
Originally posted by 49er-from-Yavin-IV:
What's that? ... I couldn't hear you over 3-0, 2-0 in the division.

Agree, that statistic kind of drowns out the naysayers. I have to say, I am impressed with Raheem's defense. He's holding that defense together with paper clips and chewing gum. Got to give it to Kyle to attract a defensive mind like Raheem.

Today, Raheem's defensive backs were a strength, not a weakness. I think Brock playing against the Raheem defense in practice has really advanced Purdy's passing game.
Good win, great display by the offense and decent by the d, which was 7/10 in first half and 3/10 second half. bad showing by special teams except by that eddy long fg

I would like to point out the only playcall I didnt like, even though it ended on TD. I usually dont like the conservative playcalling, but with 1 minute 37 seconds to go, up by 2, they didnt have any timeouts left, already in FG position. Should have run it 2 times in a row down the middle, kick the fg with 20 seconds remaining. as I said, it ended up being a td and that was superb, but dont understand why not going for the safe call that could have essentialy won us the game. instead risking an incomplete pass or even worse a possible turnover
[ Edited by alwayssecond on Sep 28, 2026 at 8:12 AM ]
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Another phenomenal game by the best coach in the NFL

Everybody in the NFL claims how great he is, but NEVER awarded him with COY.
He as much as said he needs to run more and caught himself in the second half. I can see the temptation when the passing game is working pretty well regardless.

One thing - with all the damn injuries I noticed many of the backups played better than expected. All that playing time since last year is paying dividends. At this point we have to hope all the injured can come back 100% as the season progresses and we roll healthy.
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Shotgun empty backfield 2:10 minutes left on first and 10?

Really...

This is 100% nitpicking but you know what...I'm ok with it.

I think we can appreciate the rest of Kyle's playcalling and coaching ability but still want him to be smart in those end game situations. That was a bad decision.

IMO you HAVE to run the ball there to force Arizona to use another timeout or let it get down to the 2 minute warning. Thankfully it didn't cost us but it may another game.

Similarly as much as I loved Kittle getting another TD and Brock getting another throwing TD on the books - if George drops down or even goes out of bounds we finish that game in victory formation.

Instead we had to get our defense back on the field, risk further injury and sweat out an onside kick. This to me is a teaching moment from Kyle - your personal stats and fun shouldn't get in the way of securing a win and lowering risk of anything going wrong.

A similar move almost cost the Broncos last night. Kyle has been great lately in those clock situations so seeing that yesterday wasn't ideal.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone