There are 139 users in the forums

The 49ers new front office structure

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ChazBoner:

Typically teams don't restructure their scouting department until after the draft anyway. A lot of work has already been put in towards free agency and the draft. It would set us back in those areas if we were to go wholesale personnel changes now.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Jan 30, 2017 at 5:15 AM ]
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Yea the spin doctors are out already.

Um if this was the plan why not announce it two weeks ago? Why set up all those packers interviews.

Jed is a dumpster fire. Hes performing ballet on banana peels and manure.

Says the spin doctor...

I know you are but what am I
I'm still not so sure this is the model they (Jed/Paraag) are going. It's still this:

Jed: CEO
Paraag: President of Football Operations
Lynch: General Manager
Gamble: Assistant General Manager
Shanahan: Head Coach

You all are assuming Lynch will now become the "face of the franchise," essentially, becoming the man Paraag's current title holds. I don't buy it...yet.

To me, this is perfectly set up for Paraag/Jed to continue to manage all football operations w/o being IN the limelight (pretty much Paraag's entire career here) and it removes Jed's face more going forward (potential). We're also mixing up titles and job responsibilities here.

If they wanted Lynch in media/marketing, they'd give him that title (something he actually is more qualified for)...if they wanted him over all football operations, they'd make him President of Football Operations, not GM. Also, if they wanted him to play the role of President of Football Operations, it would open up a totally different line of candidates and whoever this hire ended up being, he'd be leading the search for the GM (not Jed/Paraag/Hampton). Paraag's role and title would subsequently change.

But with Lynch as a GM, it all but guarantees we'll need another hire b/c of the lack of experience he has in this GM-business. Reports are that Gamble will handle "the draft." What GM would be OK with this? That, literally, is his #1 job responsibility. SoCalSteph was right...right now, Gamble is far more of a GM than Lynch. Yeah, I'm sure that's not an odd dynamic --- Lynch + Gamble. Lynch makes more and how would Lynch even KNOW if Gamble was doing a good job?

Also, we'll now need another personnel guy who can be the trigger man on draft day, wheel and deal (not get used by other GM's), who can attract free agents, start change the image, etc. We'll call Lynch that "trigger man" for now but the reality is that the 'real' GM most likely will be Kyle Shanahan and Tom Gamble. A GM's job takes years and years to master and even their success, is 50/50. Now we're asking a man with zero experience to have similar success in a muddied role?

It would not surprise me now to see us hiring Dominik AND Mike Shanahan (FO consultant) to HELP Lynch fill a simple/defined role of GM while bringing zero clarity to Paraag's title/role in this. If anything, this move muddies the waters even more within our FO.

Call me skeptical...
[ Edited by NCommand on Jan 30, 2017 at 7:01 AM ]
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Yea the spin doctors are out already.

Um if this was the plan why not announce it two weeks ago? Why set up all those packers interviews.

Jed is a dumpster fire. Hes performing ballet on banana peels and manure.

Says the spin doctor...

I know you are but what am I

...and feel free to answer my question....
Regardless of whether this move is good or bad it looks like crap.

We approach a half dozen respected experienced professionals. They all say no.

We sign a guy with no experience for six years. Who was never mentioned once in the last month.

Smells like teen panic.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran

We sign a guy with no experience for six years. Who was never mentioned once in the last month.

Smells like teen panic.

They didn't all say no. Also it came out the 49ers were looking at a 3rd candidate & apparently Lynch wanted his name kept a secret.
Originally posted by NCommand:
I'm still not so sure this is the model they (Jed/Paraag) are going. It's still this:

You all are assuming Lynch will now become the "face of the franchise," essentially, becoming the man Paraag's current title holds. I don't buy it...yet.

To me, this is perfectly set up for Paraag/Jed to continue to manage all football operations w/o being IN the limelight (pretty much Paraag's entire career here) and it removes Jed's face more going forward (potential). We're also mixing up titles and job responsibilities here.

If they wanted Lynch in media/marketing, they'd give him that title (something he actually is more qualified for)...if they wanted him over all football operations, they'd make him President of Football Operations, not GM. Also, if they wanted him to play the role of President of Football Operations, it would open up a totally different line of candidates and whoever this hire ended up being, he'd be leading the search for the GM (not Jed/Paraag/Hampton). Paraag's role and title would change.

But as a GM, it all but guarantees we'll need another hire b/c of the lack of experience he has in this GM-business. Reports are that Gamble will handle "the draft" so we'd need another personnel guy who can be the trigger man on draft day, wheel and deal (not get used by other GM's), who can attract free agents, etc. We'll call Lynch that trigger man for now but the reality is that the 'real' GM most likely will be Kyle Shanahan. A GM's job takes years and years to master and even their success, is 50/50. Now we're asking a man with zero experience to have similar success?

It would not surprise me now to see us hiring Dominik AND Mike Shanahan (FO consultant) to HELP Lynch fill a simple/defined role of GM while bringing zero clarity to Paraag's title/role in this. If anything, this move muddies the waters even more within our FO.

Call me skeptical...

I do think with this hire Jed/Paraag are willing to get out of some of the decision-making process. Specifically everything other than Contracts/Salary Cap and end of the year briefings (Jed). I also think with Lynch you get a guy who will be well liked/respected around the league (although brand new to this part of the game). Lynch won't be worried about getting his legs under for the next 3 years and hopefully, as you pointed out, with a couple solid vet hires underneath him it wont be a big deal. The BIGGEST upgrade will be that Lynch WILL NOT allow the shenanigans (not to be confused with the Shanahannigans) to go on within the organization...period! Leaks and the b******t that has been plaguing the team will be gone!

I hope for two solid hires under John.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
You have to think that if Jed screws this up again with a Lynch/Shanahan hire....John and Denise pretty much have to remove Jed from the organization. But we won't know for a couple years at least.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran

Smells like teen panic.

But I was under the impression Paton and McDonough were in the running still. What happen to those 2? Like some have said...this is like the Tomsula hire all over again.
Originally posted by Baldie:
But I was under the impression Paton and McDonough were in the running still. What happen to those 2? Like some have said...this is like the Tomsula hire all over again.

It sounds like both Shanahan and the 49ers preferred Lynch. Was it the wrong decision? Only time will tell.

Smells like teen panic.

is Tomsula a Hall of Fame guy though? (Says Jed)
You have to think that if Jed screws this up again with a Lynch/Shanahan hire....John and Denise pretty much have to remove Jed from the organization. But we won't know for a couple years at least.
That will never happen. we are stuck with the turd for the duration.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

It sounds like both Shanahan and the 49ers preferred Lynch. Was it the wrong decision? Only time will tell.

And I feel like the only way that it makes sense and all agreed is that Kyle gets a large say in decision-making. Which probably Paton (as reported) and possible McDonough weren't going to sign up for that.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 16to87:
That will never happen. we are stuck with the turd for the duration.

I wouldn't be to sure of that. You will never get rid of the Yorks but you might be able to get Jed out of football operations if this paring blows up.
Originally posted by Giants9ersfan:
Originally posted by NCommand:

If they wanted Lynch in media/marketing, they'd give him that title (something he actually is more qualified for)...if they wanted him over all football operations, they'd make him President of Football Operations, not GM. Also, if they wanted him to play the role of President of Football Operations, it would open up a totally different line of candidates and whoever this hire ended up being, he'd be leading the search for the GM (not Jed/Paraag/Hampton). Paraag's role and title would change.

But as a GM, it all but guarantees we'll need another hire b/c of the lack of experience he has in this GM-business. Reports are that Gamble will handle "the draft" so we'd need another personnel guy who can be the trigger man on draft day, wheel and deal (not get used by other GM's), who can attract free agents, etc. We'll call Lynch that trigger man for now but the reality is that the 'real' GM most likely will be Kyle Shanahan. A GM's job takes years and years to master and even their success, is 50/50. Now we're asking a man with zero experience to have similar success?

Call me skeptical...

I do think with this hire Jed/Paraag are willing to get out of some of the decision-making process. Specifically everything other than Contracts/Salary Cap and end of the year briefings (Jed). I also think with Lynch you get a guy who will be well liked/respected around the league (although brand new to this part of the game). Lynch won't be worried about getting his legs under for the next 3 years and hopefully, as you pointed out, with a couple solid vet hires underneath him it wont be a big deal. The BIGGEST upgrade will be that Lynch WILL NOT allow the shenanigans (not to be confused with the Shanahannigans) to go on within the organization...period! Leaks and the b******t that has been plaguing the team will be gone!

I hope for two solid hires under John.

So we're good being a training ground for GM's now? Give him 6 years to see if he can grow into a decent GM...or whatever the hell he really is? These are big assumptions. The truth is, he's getting millions from the same two men who have meddled in everything football related for the last 10 years. He'll bow down or be fired. He is a TRUE middle man right now...between Jed/Paraag/Hampton and Kyle while "trying out" Gamble to see if he could do the job Lynch should be doing (leading the draft/scouts/player acquisitions and building the team).
Share 49ersWebzone