Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 692 users in the forums

John Lynch - 49ers GM

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • All22
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 2,888
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by SB49er4life:
No doubt getting Mykel back will be huge in shutting down the run to that side, I just don't know how much that's gonna do to help with the gaping holes up the middle. CJ West is getting absolutely obliterated off the ball, I consistently see him 4+ yds off the LOS.

I'm trying to explore all the possibilities in my mind of wtf could be going on with CJ West, and nothing seems to make sense other than he just completely f**ked off his off-season. He is just straight up lacking exlosion and power that he showed last year.

Could be banged up and we don't know it.

They need another DT and DE regardless, not sure who's out there. They need another WR as well

If the Colts are 3-6 or worse at the deadline, Buckner might be available on an expiring contract. Not sure if he's redundant to Osa though.

Aside from that, the Falcons schedule is brutal. They might be our best trading partner around the deadline.

Current 0-2 Teams
Atlanta Falcons
Miami Dolphins
Los Angeles Chargers
Indianapolis Colts
Houston Texans
Washington Commanders
Tennessee Titans
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 34,461
Originally posted by SB49er4life:
I'm an optimist, but there is literaly 0 excuse for West and Collins performance this year. There is no scheme that allows or gives leighway to your DT's getting stood up and blown off the line of scrimmage 3-4 yards down the field. We better hope CJ West is just out of shape and needs to get his wind back, because the only other possibilites are that he just f**ked off his entire off season and didn't work out and lost power or he just has terrible technique and keeps getting stood up.

I was optimistic about both these players and I'll still hold out hope for West to turn it around, I just don't know how realistic that is at all, let alone for it to happen this year. A torn pataller tendon on a 6'6, 330 lb man might unfortunately be a career ender.

Yes there is, if the defensive playcall is for the Nose/Big end /DT to drop back into coverage. Ie. To protect against the screen pass. In other words, we don't know the defensive play call, so we don't know what as supposed to happen or not on a given play.

Injuries suck. There have been many promising hall of fame level talented players who's careers were derailed by Injuries. Case in point, Bo Jackson. As a coach or general manager, you're not doing your job if you dont have a plan to deal with injuries.

I just don't think Raheem really needs a two gapping DT that can stop a bus, but can't move laterally if his life depended on it. Both CJ West and Alfred Collins are that kind of player, imo. I don't think they will ever fit Raheem's defense - but I hope I'm dead wrong on that.
  • FL9r
  • Member
  • Posts: 276
Lynch swings and misses yet again. Stop drafting and use the picks for established not senior citizen players. New GM with new philosophy = championships. Same GM = same results. Simple math.
Originally posted by FL9r:
Lynch swings and misses yet again. Stop drafting and use the picks for established not senior citizen players. New GM with new philosophy = championships. Same GM = same results. Simple math.

What he swing and miss on this time? I'm too busy enjoying the wins.
Originally posted by miked1978:
What he swing and miss on this time? I'm too busy enjoying the wins.

Yup- I'd like to see a trade partner we could get a defensive player as part of the trade. Not just a pick. I don't know if that situation exists.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 22,274
JL need to sign and/or Trade for

Meyer at TE
Joey at DE
Marvin at X
Kayvon at Edge

we may not have lots of high picks the next 2 years in exchange for Super Bowl Rings he should do it.. it's not like we've been drafting HOF type of players in Round 1 and 2.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Yes there is, if the defensive playcall is for the Nose/Big end /DT to drop back into coverage. Ie. To protect against the screen pass. In other words, we don't know the defensive play call, so we don't know what as supposed to happen or not on a given play.

Injuries suck. There have been many promising hall of fame level talented players who's careers were derailed by Injuries. Case in point, Bo Jackson. As a coach or general manager, you're not doing your job if you dont have a plan to deal with injuries.

I just don't think Raheem really needs a two gapping DT that can stop a bus, but can't move laterally if his life depended on it. Both CJ West and Alfred Collins are that kind of player, imo. I don't think they will ever fit Raheem's defense - but I hope I'm dead wrong on that.

C'mon. CJ West clearly not asked to drop into coverage when he was being pushed downfield 5 yards on defense.

Further, Raheem Morris doesn't have a rigid defensive scheme that forces players into uncomfortable roles, he has been on record saying that he adapts to the strengths/weaknesses of his personnel, which is what great coaches are supposed to do.

Now I will say, since my last post on this topic, with CJ West going on IR, it does make sense that he was likely playing through a serious injury and clearly was effected in a major way. That makes a lot of more sense blaming the scheme for why a DL is getting blown off the LOS.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 34,461
Originally posted by SB49er4life:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Yes there is, if the defensive playcall is for the Nose/Big end /DT to drop back into coverage. Ie. To protect against the screen pass. In other words, we don't know the defensive play call, so we don't know what as supposed to happen or not on a given play.

Injuries suck. There have been many promising hall of fame level talented players who's careers were derailed by Injuries. Case in point, Bo Jackson. As a coach or general manager, you're not doing your job if you dont have a plan to deal with injuries.

I just don't think Raheem really needs a two gapping DT that can stop a bus, but can't move laterally if his life depended on it. Both CJ West and Alfred Collins are that kind of player, imo. I don't think they will ever fit Raheem's defense - but I hope I'm dead wrong on that.

C'mon. CJ West clearly not asked to drop into coverage when he was being pushed downfield 5 yards on defense.

Further, Raheem Morris doesn't have a rigid defensive scheme that forces players into uncomfortable roles, he has been on record saying that he adapts to the strengths/weaknesses of his personnel, which is what great coaches are supposed to do.

Now I will say, since my last post on this topic, with CJ West going on IR, it does make sense that he was likely playing through a serious injury and clearly was effected in a major way. That makes a lot of more sense blaming the scheme for why a DL is getting blown off the LOS.

The statement was something to the effect there is *no scheme* that allows a DT/NT to be blown off the LOS. I simply refuted that statement. I never said anything about CJ dropping into coverage.

Again, my point was that Rheem *likes* certain kinds of players over others. I think he likes smaller DT's that are explosive and agile versus the gigantic two gapping tree stumps that can't do much more than hold ground against double teams.

He likes playing head games with the QB OLine protection concepts and calls, and he can't do much with tree stump DT's that can't move, versus more agile DLinemen that can do a variety of things.
[ Edited by Giedi on Sep 24, 2026 at 9:46 PM ]
  • A-R-S
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,220
I think the Lynch era will be remembered with great confusion.

Absolutely terrible at drafting. Absolutely terrible at signing impact free agents. Most injured team in the league by a massive margin over a 10 year period.

Went to two superbowls, was within one third down of winning both, made the playoffs most years, and always had a really good and competent team.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 39,886
Originally posted by A-R-S:
I think the Lynch era will be remembered with great confusion.

Absolutely terrible at drafting. Absolutely terrible at signing impact free agents. Most injured team in the league by a massive margin over a 10 year period.

Went to two superbowls, was within one third down of winning both, made the playoffs most years, and always had a really good and competent team.

Injuries are how his rosters should be remembered.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 67,079
Ok Lynch get to work and I'm not talking about picking off the practice squad!!!!

Will McDonald
Kayvon Thibodeaux
Alex Highsmith
or should I dare say it Maxx Crosby!!!!!!! LFG!!!!
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Ok Lynch get to work and I'm not talking about picking off the practice squad!!!!

Will McDonald
Kayvon Thibodeaux
Alex Highsmith
or should I dare say it Maxx Crosby!!!!!!! LFG!!!!

I would pass out if they could do Maxx but with their 2-0 start now it won't happen. They should have offered the farm and then some a week or two back.
Originally posted by A-R-S:
I think the Lynch era will be remembered with great confusion.

Absolutely terrible at drafting. Absolutely terrible at signing impact free agents. Most injured team in the league by a massive margin over a 10 year period.

Went to two superbowls, was within one third down of winning both, made the playoffs most years, and always had a really good and competent team.

Lynch era? More like Lynch Shanahan era.
Or rather, Shanahan Lynch era.

Or to be more precise, SHANAHAN Lynch era.

I hope you got my point

If anyone thinks Lynch picked any offensive players Kyle didn't want, I got a couple of bridges to sell to you.
Originally posted by A-R-S:
I think the Lynch era will be remembered with great confusion.

Absolutely terrible at drafting. Absolutely terrible at signing impact free agents. Most injured team in the league by a massive margin over a 10 year period.

Went to two superbowls, was within one third down of winning both, made the playoffs most years, and always had a really good and competent team.

So we can't sign or draft, but have had some of the best rosters under them. How stupid can our fan base get?
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Lynch era? More like Lynch Shanahan era.
Or rather, Shanahan Lynch era.

Or to be more precise, SHANAHAN Lynch era.

I hope you got my point

If anyone thinks Lynch picked any offensive players Kyle didn't want, I got a couple of bridges to sell to you.

Kyle Shanahan isn't scouting these players from jump- the scouting department sifts through fill/evaluation of all the prospects, Shanahan then looks at their highlight tape (which shows you potential), and then if that checks out, they scrutinize the rest of their tape to see where weaknesses lie. This is actually a good process, because if a player never shows considerable potential, there is no sense in wasting time evaluating the ret of their tape.

Scouting department does the work digging up the finalists, presents them to Shanahan, then it's likely his call who he picks. There is a lot more that goes into picking a player than just the decision on who to pick.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone