There are 265 users in the forums

If the 49ers were to draft/sign a QB in the offseason. Who would develop him?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I just haven't seen any real developement of the QB position in quite a while. This is why Alex Smith looks better in KC than he did here. This is also why Crabtree looks better with the Raiders than he did here.

We need a true QB coach. I know the NFL is not a development league, this is why coaches are recycled through the system. Draft a guy like Peyton Manning and a coach looks like a QB Guru. With that said we either need to draft a #1 QB prospect and have it pan out, or we need to get a coach that can develop a QB!

Maybe we get a QB coach that can develop a QB #2 or #3 while Chip works with QB1 with the first string offense. This league has moved away from actual coaching and developing players due to the pressure to have every player ready to play right now based on draft status (see Goff with the Rams). Montana, Steve young (w/ the 49ers), and Brady all had to sit and learn be it a few weeks or a few years. So how can we expect a QB to come in and play with our current roster and be successful?

The Cowboys struck gold with Dak because they already had the O-line, WR's, TE, and they drafted a dynamic RB to place with Dak to make him successful. We don't have any of that. Most teams drafting in the top 5 won't have any of that stuff that stuff to go along with their All American rookie QB sensation.
  • Kense
  • Veteran
There is no point at all in drafting a QB higher than round 3. They need to build the Defense first. There are no QB's coming out in the draft that are impressive.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
NOOOOOOOOOOBODY !!!!
Originally posted by Kense:
There is no point at all in drafting a QB higher than round 3. They need to build the Defense first. There are no QB's coming out in the draft that are impressive.

I agree with you.
Originally posted by glorydayz:

I agree with you.

Hope we get a new GM because that's what Baalke's been hugely disappointing with. Chip Kelly's offense sucks in the nfl, especially his run scheme, but he did make Marriota shine. Foles played his best ball under Kelly.
Originally posted by Hawaii49er:

I agree with you.

Hope we get a new GM because that's what Baalke's been hugely disappointing with. Chip Kelly's offense sucks in the nfl, especially his run scheme, but he did make Marriota shine. Foles played his best ball under Kelly.

Then the league got the film and caught up to him.
That's the million dollar question
Originally posted by Wisconsininer:
That's the million dollar question

30 million dollar question.

There is almost no sense in drafting a QB lower than round 2. I wish people would learn how few QBs drafted after the 2nd round amount to anything. There are so few examples in NFL history, yet people are always advocating us trying to find a gem late in the draft. It is mind boggling.

I agree with you.

Which of the 2 are you talking about?

You know what? It doesnt even matter who you meant. Mariota is ballin right now, so obviously the league didnt catch up to him. And then Foles.....played very shortly for a terrible team in StL.

So that doesnt apply to either QB.

Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

There is almost no sense in drafting a QB lower than round 2. I wish people would learn how few QBs drafted after the 2nd round amount to anything. There are so few examples in NFL history, yet people are always advocating us trying to find a gem late in the draft. It is mind boggling.

Do you think we should draft a QB in the first 2 rounds?

I agree with you.

You know what? It doesnt even matter who you meant. Mariota is ballin right now, so obviously the league didnt catch up to him. And then Foles.....played very shortly for a terrible team in StL.

Sorry I should have been more specific, I was talking about Chip.

The league caught up to Chips offense.

Remember, Chip didn't coach Mariota in the NFL.

Do you think we should draft a QB in the first 2 rounds?

I think if our organizational plan is to draft a QB this year, then yes. And I only say that because the overwhelming majority of QBs drafted after round 2 dont turn out. It would be wasting a draft pick.
glorydayz......my bad sir.
  • dj43

I agree with you.

Sorry I should have been more specific, I was talking about Chip.

The league caught up to Chips offense.

Remember, Chip didn't coach Mariota in the NFL.

I believe Kelly's O would be better with a FB and more under center formations, however, the passing offense is just fine. Even the current group of less-than-spectacular receivers are getting open with consistency. We certainly could use better talent at WR and TE but that is not the center of the problem. That is being discussed in another thread.
Share 49ersWebzone