LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 222 users in the forums

Build Your Dream Team (49ers)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Young over Montana?

I think it depends on what generation you grew up on. Steve Young was a terrific quarterback, and if that's what you know, it's what you know. People that didn't get to really watch Joe and more or less know him by reputation can't really appreciate what a remarkable talent he was.

watched both. Young all day every day

To me the simplest difference was this:

Young: More dominant regular season QB
Montana: More clutch postseason/big game QB

They were very close to each other adjusted for talent and coaching -- Young in his prime didn't have as many years of dominant D and elite RB like Montana did. And then there's the issue of Dallas and Green Bay maybe being better than the '80s juggernauts. That's how I dismiss the 4 to 1 SB thing as the only argument some people use.

Young's overall clutchness and pure passing might be underrated, while Joe's mobility and pocket awareness were underrated. Young had that great comeback against the Bengals and Colts. Only Steve McNair and Kaepernick have more rushing yards in a Super Bowl than Montana.

Both great guys. I've come to appreciate Young more in later years, but probably feel that Joe was slightly better. His Kansas City resume to me along with that 4 TD in 4th quarter win @Philly in '89 give him that edge.

Building a purely modern team, it's possible peak Young with some zone read sprinkled in could be scary. Young had longer TD runs than Russell Wilson back in the '90s without help from the zone read.

You gotta love these two guys -- Montana a 3rd round pick that the league took for granted in the '79 draft and Young, basically a Kaepernick of the early '80s who probably was just as raw. Turned into the best "mobile" QB of all time.

Also, ten million snaps between them -- and not one of them from shotgun.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Oct 14, 2016 at 1:30 AM ]
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Young over Montana?

I think it depends on what generation you grew up on. Steve Young was a terrific quarterback, and if that's what you know, it's what you know. People that didn't get to really watch Joe and more or less know him by reputation can't really appreciate what a remarkable talent he was.

watched both. Young all day every day

They were very close to each other adjusted for talent and coaching -- Young in his prime didn't have as many years of dominant D and elite RB like Montana did. And then there's the issue of Dallas and Green Bay maybe being better than the '80s juggernauts. That's how I dismiss the 4 to 1 SB thing as the only argument some people use.

Young's overall clutchness and pure passing might be underrated, while Joe's mobility and pocket awareness were underrated. Young had that great comeback against the Bengals and Colts. Only Steve McNair and Kaepernick have more rushing yards in a Super Bowl than Montana.

Both great guys. I've come to appreciate Young more in later years, but probably feel that Joe was slightly better. His Kansas City resume to me along with that 4 TD in 4th quarter win @Philly in '89 give him that edge.

Building a purely modern team, it's possible peak Young with some zone read sprinkled in could be scary. Young had longer TD runs than Russell Wilson back in the '90s without help from the zone read.

You gotta love these two guys -- Montana a 3rd round pick that the league took for granted in the '79 draft and Young, basically a Kaepernick of the early '80s who probably was just as raw. Turned into the best "mobile" QB of all time.

I read a stat that Steve Young won 65 percent of the games that he played in and Joe Montana won 71 percent of the games that he played in. Those are some real impressive numbers by both. Your right about Steve too. In some of these modern NFL offenses like Chip Kelly's, Steve Young would have been a nightmare to defend, moreso than he already was.

Man talking about this has made me sad about what we had in both and how long it's been since we've had it.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Oct 14, 2016 at 1:38 AM ]
I read a stat that Steve Young won 65 percent of the games that he played in and Joe Montana won 71 percent of the games that he played in. Those are some real impressive numbers by both. Your right about Steve too. In some of these modern NFL offenses like Chip Kelly's, Steve Young would have been a nightmare to defend, moreso than he already was.

Man talking about this has made me sad about what we had in both and how long it's been since we've had it.

Montana threw the most catchable ball and could throw from any position, underhand, left handed...just a phenomenally gifted athlete. Young was faster and a better runner. I like Young's passing as well though and will always wonder what his stats would have been on a good team (edit-early in his career).

Joe was calm and clutch, Steve was exciting...sort of frenetic at times. Loved both!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Oct 14, 2016 at 9:45 AM ]
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
3-4 D
DE-smith
NT-Carter
DE-Young
ILB-Willis
ILB-Norton/Bowman (sorry can't decide)
OLB-Haley
OLB-Smith/Dean(sorry can't decide)
CB-Wright
CB-Sanders
S-Lott
S-Hicks

I might argue a few positions but I'd take this D and be very happy as well! Have to love that DL!
Eddie D owner.

No Yorks.

Did anybody on this board actually watch a Niner game pre--1980s or even 90s.There are better Niner players in the past than many on the list--ie: Dave Wilcox was a better linebacker than any Niner in history with the exception of Willis--he just played on crappy teams.
Young over Montana?

Steve Young is my favorite player and I'd still go Joe Montana.
no
3-4 D
DE-smith
NT-Carter
DE-Young
ILB-Willis
OLB-Haley
CB-Wright
CB-Sanders
S-Lott
S-Hicks

Let me help you:

Norton & Dean were trades. The other two were drafted by us.

Norton was a Cowboy and became a Hawk LB coach and now a Raider DC.

Dean came in from the Chargers and helped us to two SBs.

Norton was very good and instrumental in '94, and I have no real beef with him really......but Bowman is on pace like Willis to be a Niner only LB and that has to win the nod IMO.

Dean over Aldonicus is ok, even though on pure talent I think our prodigal son was better.

Norton was not a trade he was a FA.
I'm also aware of both guys history, but they were Niners and this is a Niner team
But I see what you are getting at and I am leaning towards Bowman and Smith
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Oct 14, 2016 at 8:57 AM ]
3-4 D
DE-smith
NT-Carter
DE-Young
ILB-Willis
OLB-Haley
CB-Wright
CB-Sanders
S-Lott
S-Hicks

I might argue a few positions but I'd take this D and be very happy as well! Have to love that DL!

So many good players to choose from coupled with I have watched every 49er SB team play. I kind of felt dirty putting Sanders in there since he was only here 1year but he was so dominant that year and was a key player in one of the most dominant teams ever. Out of curiously what changes would you make?

QB: Joe Montana
RB: Roger Craig
FB: Joe Perry
WR: Jerry Rice
WR Terrell Owens
WR: Billy Wilson
TE: Ted Kwalick
LT: Joe Staley
LG Guy Mcintyre
C: Jesse Sapolu
RG: Randy Cross
RT: Bob St. Clair

LE:Fred Dean
DT: Leo Nomellini
RE: Justin Smith
LOLB: Charles Haley
MLB: NaVorro Bowman
MLB: Patrick Willis
ROLB: Keena Turner
LCB: Eric Wright
RCB: Eric Davis
FS: Ronnie Lott
SS: Carlton Williamson

P: Andy Lee
K: Tommy Davis

KR Abe Woodson

PR Hugh McElhenny
Originally posted by kezarvet49:
QB: Joe Montana
RB: Roger Craig
FB: Joe Perry
WR: Jerry Rice
WR Terrell Owens
WR: Billy Wilson
TE: Ted Kwalick
LT: Joe Staley
LG Guy Mcintyre
C: Jesse Sapolu
RG: Randy Cross
RT: Bob St. Clair

LE:Fred Dean
DT: Leo Nomellini
RE: Justin Smith
LOLB: Charles Haley
MLB: NaVorro Bowman
MLB: Patrick Willis
ROLB: Keena Turner
LCB: Eric Wright
RCB: Eric Davis
FS: Ronnie Lott
SS: Carlton Williamson

P: Andy Lee
K: Tommy Davis

KR Abe Woodson

PR Hugh McElhenny

Nice list. I like Perry at FB. Thought about something similar with Craig as a FB but went with Floyd , but I think I like your idea better. Also like Williamson at S. I had a hard time deciding on the 2nd S next to Lott
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Oct 14, 2016 at 9:09 AM ]
QB MONTANA NT MICHAEL CARTER PUNTER ANDY LEE
RB GORE LE JUSTIN SMITH KICKER PHIL DAWSON
FB RATHMAN RE BRYANT YOUNG
WR RICE OLB CHRLES HAYLEY
WR TAYLOR OLB ALDON SMITH
WR OWENS ILB PATRICK
TE JONES ILB NAVORRO
LT STALEY FS ERIC REID
LG MCINTYRE SS LOTT
C NEWBERRY CB DEION SANDERS
RG KEVIN GOGAN CB ERIC WRIGHT
RT STEVE WALLACE
[ Edited by 9ermex on Oct 14, 2016 at 9:16 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
How can you guys take Perry and Floyd over Rathman.

While very rare, joe did run some plays out of the gun. This is vs the bears in 1981

I don't believe Steve did however there were some gun plays in the play book. This is from 1991
Share 49ersWebzone