Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 762 users in the forums

Play-by-play Passing game review

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Thl is legit and I don't think a single soul here believes that you put any bias into your breakdowns.

One of the few guys who's opinions I fully trust.
I think what bothers me most is we have known for years we needed receivers with size and Baalke never made it a priority.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
He turned himself around to get the pass, that ball should lead him and he should be in a position to see the field and keep running as he catches it.
There was no chance of YAC because it was a poorly executed pass that should have been easy.

Thanks for this thread. I agree on that play there was nothing Gabbert or Vance could do for RAC. Chancellor was playing off coverage which is the best way to attack a flat route. Watch the throw, take the proper angle, smash the WR. On a route like that, the defender needs to be in a trail position for RAC to take place.

Regardless of result, do you think the ball was thrown where it should be or was it a poor throw? Even with a little more space there would have been little a receiver could have done with that pass IMO.

I hope we are talking about the same play. I am referring to Gabbert's first pass of the game. It was Double Slants to his left, Curl-Flat (I think) to his right. SEA is in man coverage.
Double Slants can beat man coverage. Curl-Flat is a zone buster.
Two things to take note of. Notice the yellow LB lined up out wide with Hyde. This screams man coverage. Chancellor is off coverage against Vance. Any flat route that is being defended by a safety that is able to attack downhill has no chance of working unless the safety misses the tackle.


Had Gabbert looked to Double Slants, he would see that orange LB defeats the inside slant. The other slant, can't tell who, beats his man off the LoS and that should/would have been the target.


My main point, and I think the basis of this string of quotes, is that Gabbert could have placed this throw perfectly one foot in front of the numbers and it would not have mattered because it was the incorrect read. The correct read is to the Double Slants, not the Curl-Flat which is what Gabbert targeted. This is a case of incorrect read not bad ball location to the target.

I was thinking of one that was on the far side of the field. Sorry for the confusion. That pass was definitely more of a bad decision rather than a poor throw.
  • dj43
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 38,358
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
He turned himself around to get the pass, that ball should lead him and he should be in a position to see the field and keep running as he catches it.
There was no chance of YAC because it was a poorly executed pass that should have been easy.

Thanks for this thread. I agree on that play there was nothing Gabbert or Vance could do for RAC. Chancellor was playing off coverage which is the best way to attack a flat route. Watch the throw, take the proper angle, smash the WR. On a route like that, the defender needs to be in a trail position for RAC to take place.

Regardless of result, do you think the ball was thrown where it should be or was it a poor throw? Even with a little more space there would have been little a receiver could have done with that pass IMO.

I hope we are talking about the same play. I am referring to Gabbert's first pass of the game. It was Double Slants to his left, Curl-Flat (I think) to his right. SEA is in man coverage.
Double Slants can beat man coverage. Curl-Flat is a zone buster.
Two things to take note of. Notice the yellow LB lined up out wide with Hyde. This screams man coverage. Chancellor is off coverage against Vance. Any flat route that is being defended by a safety that is able to attack downhill has no chance of working unless the safety misses the tackle.


Had Gabbert looked to Double Slants, he would see that orange LB defeats the inside slant. The other slant, can't tell who, beats his man off the LoS and that should/would have been the target.


My main point, and I think the basis of this string of quotes, is that Gabbert could have placed this throw perfectly one foot in front of the numbers and it would not have mattered because it was the incorrect read. The correct read is to the Double Slants, not the Curl-Flat which is what Gabbert targeted. This is a case of incorrect read not bad ball location to the target.

Thanks for this clip. It also shows another point I made in my OP, that being, none of the receivers are running deeper than the LTG. This happened often.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by audick:
What is the fundamental problem? I can't wait to see the all-22 because it looks to me like our weak receivers were blanketed the whole game. This is due to lousy personnel and atrocious play-calling. Throw in the fact that Gabbert is scattershot and it's a perfect storm. Why does anyone care about putting Kap in? Watch him look just as bad, or worse. Neither quarterback is accurate, so who cares?

Lol. Pretty much.

you've been loling and LMAO alot regarding Kaepernick... you used to be one of the most ra ra 9er fans on here.

it's going to be so weird to see you celebrating if/when Kaepernick actually plays well under Kelly.

I might be doing some loling myself.
Originally posted by thl408:
I hope we are talking about the same play. I am referring to Gabbert's first pass of the game. It was Double Slants to his left, Curl-Flat (I think) to his right. SEA is in man coverage.
Double Slants can beat man coverage. Curl-Flat is a zone buster.
Two things to take note of. Notice the yellow LB lined up out wide with Hyde. This screams man coverage. Chancellor is off coverage against Vance. Any flat route that is being defended by a safety that is able to attack downhill has no chance of working unless the safety misses the tackle.


Had Gabbert looked to Double Slants, he would see that orange LB defeats the inside slant. The other slant, can't tell who, beats his man off the LoS and that should/would have been the target.


My main point, and I think the basis of this string of quotes, is that Gabbert could have placed this throw perfectly one foot in front of the numbers and it would not have mattered because it was the incorrect read. The correct read is to the Double Slants, not the Curl-Flat which is what Gabbert targeted. This is a case of incorrect read not bad ball location to the target.

Thl is that one of the quick hitter plays where the pass has to come out that quick? There wasn't much pressure should he had waited a little longer?
  • jcs
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 39,887
Originally posted by dj43:
Thanks for this clip. It also shows another point I made in my OP, that being, none of the receivers are running deeper than the LTG. This happened often.

The lack of passing game falls on three groups in order. QB, Coaching, WR's. They are all bad at this point. It's crazy to look at last seasons games and realize that Geep got more out of the offense with a worse Oline than Chip has with his College level system.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
I rarely saw a ball that I thought was put int he right spot. Just because a pass is caught it doesn't mean it was a good pass. He needs to put the ball in a place that gives the receivers a better shot at YAC. He put his receivers in poor position on catches a lot yesterday.

What did you think of the WR play?

It is also the case that if the WR is not running the route the QB anticipates, the ball will not appear to be in the best spot.

I don't think the WRs are great but they are not the problem with Gabbert's accuracy. Take that second pass of the day, was that one that was thrown short of Vance that he had to turn back for? He had no chance of making anything of that throw.
Gabbert is not delivering the ball accurately, that is almost all on him.
Are we talking about the same play?

I listened to the first half on the radio with Tim Ryan commenting. He is always on the critical side and he called it a good throw. When I got home I watched the entire game, then watched it again for the summary above, and then just looked at that specific play again after reading your comment. Yes, McD twisted his body back a bit but the ball was there on time, and, Chancellor knocked him out of bounds as soon as he turned back. There was NO CHANCE, NONE whatsoever to make any YAC on that play. It appeared to be a design play to spread the Seahawk defense for upcoming plays.

He turned himself around to get the pass, that ball should lead him and he should be in a position to see the field and keep running as he catches it.
There was no chance of YAC because it was a poorly executed pass that should have been easy.

If that is the way you see it, then I have nothing further.

DJ this guy is being a prick,and He has nothing to add to a very well article you have written,I never once read ANYTHING you have written to show your dislike for Kap....geeesh shaking my head, and yes I think it is time to see what Kap can do.
Originally posted by northoakland510:
I appreciate the time you put into breaking the offense down. I would like to know why are we not running any motion to get a favorable match up. We can only assume, but Chip is calling plays to the strength of the quarterback. I do not think Chip or Gabbert trust Gabbert to push the ball down the field.

One thing Bellichek did with his PS QB was use his mobility (move the pocket even though they have a quality OL), ran fly sweeps, reverses, pitch outs, RO's, rub routs, etc. Then as he got more confidence, opened up the playbook a bit. Gabbert is almost like a rookie who you need to scheme success and build him up and get him into a rhythm.
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 26, 2016 at 3:17 PM ]
Originally posted by jrouter4949:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
I rarely saw a ball that I thought was put int he right spot. Just because a pass is caught it doesn't mean it was a good pass. He needs to put the ball in a place that gives the receivers a better shot at YAC. He put his receivers in poor position on catches a lot yesterday.

What did you think of the WR play?

It is also the case that if the WR is not running the route the QB anticipates, the ball will not appear to be in the best spot.

I don't think the WRs are great but they are not the problem with Gabbert's accuracy. Take that second pass of the day, was that one that was thrown short of Vance that he had to turn back for? He had no chance of making anything of that throw.
Gabbert is not delivering the ball accurately, that is almost all on him.
Are we talking about the same play?

I listened to the first half on the radio with Tim Ryan commenting. He is always on the critical side and he called it a good throw. When I got home I watched the entire game, then watched it again for the summary above, and then just looked at that specific play again after reading your comment. Yes, McD twisted his body back a bit but the ball was there on time, and, Chancellor knocked him out of bounds as soon as he turned back. There was NO CHANCE, NONE whatsoever to make any YAC on that play. It appeared to be a design play to spread the Seahawk defense for upcoming plays.

He turned himself around to get the pass, that ball should lead him and he should be in a position to see the field and keep running as he catches it.
There was no chance of YAC because it was a poorly executed pass that should have been easy.

If that is the way you see it, then I have nothing further.

DJ this guy is being a prick,and He has nothing to add to a very well article you have written,I never once read ANYTHING you have written to show your dislike for Kap....geeesh shaking my head, and yes I think it is time to see what Kap can do.

I added that I felt like Gabbert was inaccurate on many of his throws including the completions.

A week or two ago dj43 said that his favorite GIF was the one of Kaepernick from last year when he didn't see Smith waving his arms. He also crapped on Kaepernick after yesterday's game int his very thread. Some sort of FTFY dig on Kaepernick's game last year against the Cardinals. I like dj43's posts but he is definitely biased against Kap.
  • dj43
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 38,358
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Bummer for the CK fans too: "Chip Kelly on Kaepernick: "I don't think he's ready to go full-time"

You are not a CK fan?
I am a Niner fan which means I am also a CK fan, it is a shame you are not.

Could you please post Gabbert's completion percentage? All I have is the one that shows up in the box score which you think is not real.

Your problem is you are so QB focused you don't appear to recognize any other component of the game.

Do you have any comment on the design and sequencing of the pass plays that Kelly?Modkins called? Do you disagree with my observation that the majority of the play calls were designed to gain 10 yards or less?

Your problem is that you dislike Kaepernick so much that you will do anything to make excuses for Gabbert's play which has been perhaps the worst of any starter in the NFL this year. Gabbert is the same player he has always been.

Who is fixated on what? I put up a lengthy post that detailed every pass play and all the visible components of those plays with observations about each...and all you can talk about is the play of the QB. You have yet to even acknowledge anything else was said.

Now, as I said above, nothing further from me.

Oldman used to do that for Alex, but it was obvious he had a bias in his approach/agenda.

and you've been doing the same...

and the same was being done in the film threads last year.

If it smells like BS, it will be called out... especially when we keep seeing the same garbage s**t, yet someone is telling us differently.

Disagree with me if you see it differently. I have no problem with that. Just cite actual plays that prove the point. Remember, I started the thread with the recollection that everyone and their cousin noted that "our WRs and QBs were the weak spot on this team and this game did nothing to dispel that reality."
[ Edited by dj43 on Sep 26, 2016 at 3:21 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
I rarely saw a ball that I thought was put int he right spot. Just because a pass is caught it doesn't mean it was a good pass. He needs to put the ball in a place that gives the receivers a better shot at YAC. He put his receivers in poor position on catches a lot yesterday.

What did you think of the WR play?

It is also the case that if the WR is not running the route the QB anticipates, the ball will not appear to be in the best spot.

I don't think the WRs are great but they are not the problem with Gabbert's accuracy. Take that second pass of the day, was that one that was thrown short of Vance that he had to turn back for? He had no chance of making anything of that throw.
Gabbert is not delivering the ball accurately, that is almost all on him.
Are we talking about the same play?

I listened to the first half on the radio with Tim Ryan commenting. He is always on the critical side and he called it a good throw. When I got home I watched the entire game, then watched it again for the summary above, and then just looked at that specific play again after reading your comment. Yes, McD twisted his body back a bit but the ball was there on time, and, Chancellor knocked him out of bounds as soon as he turned back. There was NO CHANCE, NONE whatsoever to make any YAC on that play. It appeared to be a design play to spread the Seahawk defense for upcoming plays.

He turned himself around to get the pass, that ball should lead him and he should be in a position to see the field and keep running as he catches it.
There was no chance of YAC because it was a poorly executed pass that should have been easy.

If that is the way you see it, then I have nothing further.

Me either.
Carry on telling us how great Gabbert has been.

This crap needs to stop. Nowhere anywhere did he say Gabbert has been playing great. Add something other than a box score and it might actually help the discussion.

x2
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
He turned himself around to get the pass, that ball should lead him and he should be in a position to see the field and keep running as he catches it.
There was no chance of YAC because it was a poorly executed pass that should have been easy.

Thanks for this thread. I agree on that play there was nothing Gabbert or Vance could do for RAC. Chancellor was playing off coverage which is the best way to attack a flat route. Watch the throw, take the proper angle, smash the WR. On a route like that, the defender needs to be in a trail position for RAC to take place.

Regardless of result, do you think the ball was thrown where it should be or was it a poor throw? Even with a little more space there would have been little a receiver could have done with that pass IMO.

I hope we are talking about the same play. I am referring to Gabbert's first pass of the game. It was Double Slants to his left, Curl-Flat (I think) to his right. SEA is in man coverage.
Double Slants can beat man coverage. Curl-Flat is a zone buster.
Two things to take note of. Notice the yellow LB lined up out wide with Hyde. This screams man coverage. Chancellor is off coverage against Vance. Any flat route that is being defended by a safety that is able to attack downhill has no chance of working unless the safety misses the tackle.


Had Gabbert looked to Double Slants, he would see that orange LB defeats the inside slant. The other slant, can't tell who, beats his man off the LoS and that should/would have been the target.


My main point, and I think the basis of this string of quotes, is that Gabbert could have placed this throw perfectly one foot in front of the numbers and it would not have mattered because it was the incorrect read. The correct read is to the Double Slants, not the Curl-Flat which is what Gabbert targeted. This is a case of incorrect read not bad ball location to the target.

I was thinking of one that was on the far side of the field. Sorry for the confusion. That pass was definitely more of a bad decision rather than a poor throw.

"OK all...everyone run straight ahead and all turn at 5 yards...5 yards short of the marker. Ready? Go!"
[ Edited by NCommand on Sep 26, 2016 at 3:22 PM ]
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 33,329
Originally posted by northoakland510:
Thl is that one of the quick hitter plays where the pass has to come out that quick? There wasn't much pressure should he had waited a little longer?

I think it is. Based on the depth of the routes, I think it's three step timing. If Gabbert waits longer, then the Curl just stands there, the Flat route runs out of bounds, the slants might be more open downfield, but slant routes versus man coverage are normally most open when the WR initially completes his break inwards.
  • dj43
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 38,358
Originally posted by Joecool:
I don't understand rewatching this one play by play.

The reason I do it is because when I am watching the game for the first time I am usually focused on the ball to see the overall result. Re-watching it allows a better understanding of how it succeeded or failed. There were a lot of failures in this one but for various reasons, including the fact Seattle is just a more talented team.

We learn as much from failure as from success.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone