LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 191 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS at CAROLINA PANTHERS - 2016 Week 2

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
49ers were this play away from forcing a '3 & out' on the Panther's next drive. Panthers converted this then kicked a FG to make it a 2 possession game with 4 minute left.

6'5 Benjamin vs 5'10 Chris Davis
Originally posted by thl408:
49ers were this play away from forcing a '3 & out' on the Panther's next drive. Panthers converted this then kicked a FG to make it a 2 possession game with 4 minute left.

And then Gabbert threw an INT on the ensuing drive and they kind of just mailed it in after that.

Very odd game. Carlos Hyde with a fumble that was returned for a touchdown. Ted Ginn gift-wraps the ball to us at the 1-yard line. We had three turnovers. Carolina had four. Both teams had an inexcusable long ball for a touchdown. A lot of missed opportunities for both teams.

Just very strange. You're right though. Despite being down 21 in the third quarter, we had that opportunity to force a punt down by 7. A lot of boneheaded mistakes throughout the whole game cost us, though.
A
This was an exciting play when it happened. Gave the 49ers a chance in the 4th.
Garbage time.
Originally posted by spanish:
A
Garbage time.

Turning a game into a 7-point margin with over half a quarter left is garbage time? LOL

Maybe you should go watch highlights of Miracle at the New Meadowlands or the 2014 NFC Championship.
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by spanish:
A
Garbage time.

Turning a game into a 7-point margin with over half a quarter left is garbage time? LOL

Maybe you should go watch highlights of Miracle at the New Meadowlands or the 2014 NFC Championship.

Yeah I agree with this. Down 14 with 8 minutes to go is not garbage time.
Originally posted by eforbes12:

Yup, it was truly still anybody's game at that point.

This is the play where it all unraveled. Team self destructed after that. It's a shame because they played hard to climb back from a 31-10 hole entering the 4th.

Tough, tough game on the road. I expected a loss, just wish they avoided the late game blunders. Hyde's fumble and the blown coverage on Olsen's TD were killers too, put us in a bind.. Even in a 19 point game, it was probably only 3 or 4 plays that decided the game.
Think the heat played a big factor in this game we have a lot of big guys and thought on D where they were full of life deep in the game against the Rams, in that heat they struggled and looked exhausted.

Also think that the heat an effect on Chip, he couldn't run the hurry up at nearly the same pace and his play calling (Vance TD excepted, what a beauty that was QP!) suffered with some strange up the middle 3 and outs not his best day.

People calling for Kap to play against Seattle in Clink are crazy in my eyes they have his number and he shouldn't be near the field in that game. Gabberts inaccurate and frustrating at times but if he grows the confidence to run more I'm happy for him to carry on he's by no means the answer but he keeps us competitive.

Betheas intelligence is being outweighed by his lack of speed, he's a liability time to phase Tartt in.

If we had a Kelvin Benjamin type receiver.....*stares wistfully into the distance*
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by eforbes12:

Yup, it was truly still anybody's game at that point.

This is the play where it all unraveled. Team self destructed after that. It's a shame because they played hard to climb back from a 31-10 hole entering the 4th.

Tough, tough game on the road. I expected a loss, just wish they avoided the late game blunders. Hyde's fumble and the blown coverage on Olsen's TD were killers too, put us in a bind.. Even in a 19 point game, it was probably only 3 or 4 plays that decided the game.

Don't forget the phantom call on Ward that should've been 4th down and turned into a TD lol.
[ Edited by 49ersOnMINE on Sep 19, 2016 at 2:34 AM ]
Caught the replay.

Guess we got our answer with regard to the defense, it's not elite. Well balanced, high powered offenses will pick it apart.

No consistent pressure on Cam, if any, made it easy for him to torch the secondary.

Offense didn't look too bad imo... Big plays down field & points on the board, what more can you ask for?

The offense won't be good enough this season to stay with teams like Carolina, but we are good enough to beat the Seahawks next week.
[ Edited by SportOvaFilmTV on Sep 19, 2016 at 3:42 AM ]
Originally posted by WeeRocco:
Think the heat played a big factor in this game we have a lot of big guys and thought on D where they were full of life deep in the game against the Rams, in that heat they struggled and looked exhausted.

Also think that the heat an effect on Chip, he couldn't run the hurry up at nearly the same pace and his play calling (Vance TD excepted, what a beauty that was QP!) suffered with some strange up the middle 3 and outs not his best day.

People calling for Kap to play against Seattle in Clink are crazy in my eyes they have his number and he shouldn't be near the field in that game. Gabberts inaccurate and frustrating at times but if he grows the confidence to run more I'm happy for him to carry on he's by no means the answer but he keeps us competitive.

Betheas intelligence is being outweighed by his lack of speed, he's a liability time to phase Tartt in.

If we had a Kelvin Benjamin type receiver.....*stares wistfully into the distance*

I thought all thing being considered the game was fine. Big plays and mistakes beat us. The niners being on a really short week on the east coast playing a team we were supposed to lose to and we were in the game with 8mins left in the 4th. Things didn't swing our way, but bring that game home and it's a different story.

Originally posted by SportOvaFilmTV:
Caught the replay.

Guess we got our answer with regard to the defense, it's not elite & well balanced, high powered offenses will pick it apart.

No consistent pressure on Cam, if any, made it easy for him to torch the secondary.

Offense didn't look too bad imo... Big plays down field & points on the board, what more can you ask for?

The offense won't be good enough this season to stay with teams like Carolina, but we are good enough to beat the Seahawks next week.

I know, this is actually our most prolific scoring offense we have had in a long long time and people want to sit gabs or say it's figured out... lol
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by communist:
Everyone expected a very long season.

Yup...at least we are scoring pts. Should have scored more both games.

Avg 26 pts in two weeks against top tier Ds.

I think the most telling stat from today was that 4 of our scores totaled 59 yards. Tells me the offense couldn't sustain drives.

Agreed Blaine had 4 turnovers given to him in good field position...
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
4/14 on 3rd downs

Thanks Greg Roman.
Did Blair get any snaps?
How the hell was that sideline "catch" a catch by Ted Ginn. Dude didn't even have it secured
Share 49ersWebzone