There are 166 users in the forums

Would you rather endure a year of suck, for potential long term success?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Would you rather endure a year of suck, for potential long term success?

Originally posted by cciowa:
you never lose games on purpose in order to draft higher..... i will always said that is a dumb thing to want in my opinion. you play to win.. you do not play cuz you hope you lose so you hope you can draft higher.. there is no win around here.... when we were winning. people were fretting we would not get good players cuz we drafted late in the draft. jesus people

And then when we lost, the same people cried that we sucked because we were losers.

It's pathetic. Literally no way to be satisfied around here.
No I would prefer we compete and play hard so we know what we've got in regards to the young talented players that we do have on the roster.

Also high draft picks are no guarantee of success for example Goff is currently 3rd string, the Rams are in even worse limbo due to his selection. Not for me personally.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WeeRocco:
No I would prefer we compete and play hard so we know what we've got in regards to the young talented players that we do have on the roster.

Also high draft picks are no guarantee of success for example Goff is currently 3rd string, the Rams are in even worse limbo due to his selection. Not for me personally.

This is how we will arrive to our draft slot, regardless of what the popular fan sentiment of the moment is. This team will not "tank" or rest starters for draft position. Time to move along now.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by okdkid:
You mean a *potential* franchise QB. The Rams thought they got one too in Goff...

Yeah. Its time to write off his whole career even though most people expected that he'd need time to develop.
the #1 pick should not be 3rd on the depth chart ever
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Teams get lucky unless they tanked on purpose. Carolina was already good before 2010.

if your going to suck, make sure there is a guy worth sucking for

Carolina wasn't already good. They had a good season mixed between mediocrity. Obviously it takes luck and good timing.

You could get #1 overall pick the year the draft talent stinks or doesn't fit your needs or you could have a down year when key players get hurt and find yourself staring at a blue chip prospect which goes perfectly with your needs + your guys get healthy and suddenly you're in real good shape.

Nobody is saying there's a guarantee that if you pick top 2 that you'll be successful moving forward. You still have to get lucky with injuries, coaches and the draft.

Tom Brady was a 6th round pick - all luck no matter what Patriots fans will tell you. Richard Seymour over David Terrell was a great pick though.

Teams have to be patients with their coaches and their front office personnel unless they're completely inept, which is why I find it funny that everyone is so quick to throw Baalke the hell out of here. I agree this is a make or break year for him but nobody is perfect and he's done a lot more good than bad.

Carson Palmer was, he sat his entire rookie season. If you're drafting a QB, you're looking at a long term investment. Throwing someone out there before they are ready is how you wind up with an Alex Smith or even Tim Couch, young QB's that get beat up and have their confidence shaken.
Originally posted by okdkid:
This is how we will arrive to our draft slot, regardless of what the popular fan sentiment of the moment is. This team will not "tank" or rest starters for draft position. Time to move along now.

Exactly we have some talent on the roster in AA, Buckner, Ward, Hyde, Reid, Davis, Brown, R. Robinson, Blair.

Not saying we're going to have a winning season or be great by any means but try telling kids like Ronald Blair to tank. I'm excited for this year to see what we've got.
[ Edited by WeeRocco on Sep 2, 2016 at 9:27 AM ]

I'd say preseason is the time to do it. Make no mistake about it he would be starting here. Kid was the perfect fit for Chip's offense. Rams are going to ruin him with Fisher and that offense outside of Gurley.
Remember Suck for Luck. The Colts started Curtis Painter all season, which virtually guaranteed them they would get the top pick in the draft. If the team wanted to suck for the top pick, the following should be the starting offense.

1. QB- Jeff Driskell
2. RB- Shane Draughn
3. TE Blake Bell
WR- Dres Anderson and Burrbridge
LT- Fahn Cooper
LG- Garnett
C- Marcus Martin
RG- Tiller
RT- Trenont Brown

These are all young players who will make the 53 and need experience. Would guarantee the top pick
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
you never lose games on purpose in order to draft higher..... i will always said that is a dumb thing to want in my opinion. you play to win.. you do not play cuz you hope you lose so you hope you can draft higher.. there is no win around here.... when we were winning. people were fretting we would not get good players cuz we drafted late in the draft. jesus people

And then when we lost, the same people cried that we sucked because we were losers.

We 've already endured a s**tty year last year. Didn't Baalke tell us it was a re-stocking year last year, not a rebuild? We had the draft picks and the cap space two years in a row now, yet we do what with them? Did we fix our QB problem, our WR problem, our punter problem, our LB problem, our shut down corner problem? No. So no, not willing to have another crappy year under the same GM management and expect to win a Super Bowl anytime soon. Baalke must have a picture of you all with a goat, because there is no logical explanantion to want to keep going down same path and expect to be an elite team.

Originally posted by MasterBlaster:
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:

We 've already endured a s**tty year last year. Didn't Baalke tell us it was a re-stocking year last year, not a rebuild? We had the draft picks and the cap space two years in a row now, yet we do what with them? Did we fix our QB problem, our WR problem, our punter problem, our LB problem, our shut down corner problem? No. So no, not willing to have another crappy year under the same GM management and expect to win a Super Bowl anytime soon. Baalke must have a picture of you all with a goat, because there is no logical explanantion to want to keep going down same path and expect to be an elite team.

You make it sound like they grow on trees. What we did this year was build and solidify our lines (most important position groups IMO). We will be drafting for QB, WR, OLB and MLB next off season. You build a roster from the inside out. What is the point of drafting a QB early in the first round only to see him get killed out there because your line can't protect him?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
we will suffer many years of suck and have no long term success as long as the Yorks own this team.
We already endured a year of suck (2015). I expect a year of feisty/scrappy play this year with questions at thin positions (QB, WR, pass rush) getting clearer answers going into the 2017 offseason.
But just one more year. Don't forget what happened last year.
Looks like we're going to endure a year of suck! I think the offense seriously lacks play-makers which will really make for a long season. Unless we play ball control offense we have no shot.
Share 49ersWebzone