LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 388 users in the forums

Smelter vs Burbridge

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I thought that henry guy from LSU was a good wideout coach? I think he got fired
I think our WR talent is just bad
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
I don't think this is an actual match up, like one of them will be competing directly against the other. Burbridge has said in interviews that he's really only gotten reps in the slot (Y) so far.

I think Smith has the X position locked up.

I think Smelter, Rogers, and Patton are competing at Z.

I think Ellington and Burbridge are competing at Y.

I think Anderson, White, Cajuste, and Simpson need to blow up TC and PS games to stick on the roster.

At least for now.

The comparisons puzzle me, as well.

John Taylor was easily the best natural athlete on the 49ers roster. Burbridge is exceptionally average athletically. JT was an X, while Burbridge practiced mainly at Y all offseason. JT had change of pace/direction and instant acceleration talents to be an outstanding punt returner; Burbridge runs straight through people for whatever YAC he generates.

Hines Ward was regarded as one of the most savvy WRs in football, which was attributed to his experience at QB in college; Smelter has played comparatively little football, and the football he played exposed him to a limited number of concepts and route packages. Smelter is also a much better athlete. All they appear to have in common is physicality.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

But is there really the basic X Y Z receivers in Kelly's "machine gun offense"..???

My understanding is that all his WRs rotate and certain routes are designed to the skill of the wideout itself?

therefore, the SPEEDSTERs will lign up anywhere and will be the one in motion 80% of the time as he is to find out what type of coverage the D is in.. While the "muscle" (slower WR/TE/HBACK/TB) would run the crossing pattern to keep the ILBs on a shallow drop so that "hand" can roam the middle..
I don't think this is an actual match up, like one of them will be competing directly against the other. Burbridge has said in interviews that he's really only gotten reps in the slot (Y) so far.

I think Anderson, White, Cajuste, and Simpson need to blow up TC and PS games to stick on the roster.

At least for now.

John Taylor was easily the best natural athlete on the 49ers roster. Burbridge is exceptionally average athletically. JT was an X, while Burbridge practiced mainly at Y all offseason. JT had change of pace/direction and instant acceleration talents to be an outstanding punt returner; Burbridge runs straight through people for whatever YAC he generates.

Hines Ward was regarded as one of the most savvy WRs in football, which was attributed to his experience at QB in college; Smelter has played comparatively little football, and the football he played exposed him to a limited number of concepts and route packages. Smelter is also a much better athlete. All they appear to have in common is physicality.

I don't think both ellington and patton get cut, but maybe this is the year one of them gets the turk. If these position lineups are what chips looking at patton is in trouble especially if simpson shows anything during TC or ST.
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
Burbridge has a lot of physical limitations to overcome to make a nfl roster. At least smelter has physical tools to lean on
X WR (LEFT): Eric Rogers; DeAndre Smelter
Y WR (SLOT): Bruce Ellington; Aaron Burbridge
Z WR (RIGHT): Torrey Smith; Bryce Treggs
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I think when it's all said and done, the line up will be..

X - Smelter; Burbridge
Y - Torrey; Anderson; White
Z - Patton; Rogers

Ellington, Reid and a 4th Rounder for Cleveland's (OL) Thomas
Originally posted by 9moon:

X - Smelter; Burbridge
Z - Patton; Rogers

Not that Cleveland would likely take that deal but where do you play Thomas. LT is literally the one position locked up on the roster with Staley.
  • evil
  • Veteran

X - Smelter; Burbridge
Z - Patton; Rogers

Apparently you missed the part where Cleveland literally drafted 5 WR's this year.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
anyone know who was more impressive between the two all summer long??

these guys are one of the matca ups I can only wish to see during training camp..

I've always compared Smelter to Hines Ward while Burbridge to John Taylor

Originally posted by ChazBoner:

these guys are one of the matca ups I can only wish to see during training camp..

• 9moon
  • Veteran
Just wait and see..

At least for now.

Very good post Wrath!
Who?

You just made two comparisons where the players are absolutely nothing alike. You may as well have compared Eric Rogers to Wes Welker.
  • Jiks
Share 49ersWebzone