Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 586 users in the forums

Salary cap question

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • rtj03
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 702
Originally posted by kezarkid:
I think he is trying to spend some of it , we know they were in on Sean Smith. I think the problem has become obvious , nobody wants to come to this toxic mess.

I think it is probably a combination of baalke being stubborn and believing in not overpaying and players preferring to go somewhere else.

Sometimes you have to overpay, it's just the nature of the beast.

Anyone know of some good players we can start hoping for next year?
Originally posted by rtj03:
Originally posted by kezarkid:
I think he is trying to spend some of it , we know they were in on Sean Smith. I think the problem has become obvious , nobody wants to come to this toxic mess.

I think it is probably a combination of baalke being stubborn and believing in not overpaying and players preferring to go somewhere else.

Sometimes you have to overpay, it's just the nature of the beast.

Anyone know of some good players we can start hoping for next year?

I think we didn't want to pay too much for B talents. Makes sense if we had our own guys to extend as A talents. I will just watch and wait because we have time yet and money and picks
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
OK, AB, if we started with $60 mil and have to spend $54 mil, minus $6mil on Ian and $3mil(?) on Celek, we are down to 45 mil. If Trent didn't sign another player, we could roll that over to next yr? And not lose any of it?

If true, all well and good, but we are then putting the same 5-11 team back on the field. Does Jed tell Trent how much he can spend? I always wanted to know the answer to that.
AB?

the current $61.8M in cap room includes the following signings, Garrett Celek, Quinton Dial, Shaun Draugh, plus tenders for Wilhoite and Devey.

They can rollover as much as they like, the draft class will cost as of now $9,678,816
[ Edited by AB81Rules on Mar 10, 2016 at 7:50 AM ]
As long as we spend the 89% of that 3 year period we are good. Theoreticaly we can roll over all of it and go crazy next year. Whomever the new GM is next year will have tons to play with.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
There is no actual spending limit cap wise, the 89% thing is in cash payouts from 2013-2016, only for the unadjusted cap number each year, and we're ok right now, but we do need to do something to improve the team.

I honestly feel like Jed lied when he said we would be Aggressive this offseason.

Its looking a little like that but we have to see where things stand at the end of the week. Still some good players out there to go and grab.
OK , As usual thanks for the tutorial . I forgot about the 3 yrs to spend it all , or 89%. Thank you, sir..
We can roll it over I believe teams can get exceptions from the salary cap floor for a season or 2 in order to rebuild. If we dont sign anyone and end up trading Kap and cutting pears we should have 60 million to roll over on top of the 50 million we are under for next season. 110 million in Kap room we could pounce on every your free agent we wanted.
I'm hoping we hurry up and trade Kap to either the Browns or Broncos, so we can take the cap hit now, and also get the savings now as well. I'd cut or look to unload guys like Simpson+Brooks+Bethea+Pears, I know we won't get squat for those guys, but we'd get more savings to roll over, and create playing time for our younger guys. Having guys like Harold and Tartt being able to be starters going into next year will only help us in being able to see if they have a future here as a starter, or if they are better served coming off the bench. Then when 2017 rolls around, we'll have tons of cap space, questions answered on a couple players, and a better idea of what we need going forward into the 2017 FA and draft.
Not spending big in FA, drafting well, and signing players early is how to build a franchise....but wait, Baalke sucks at drafting players
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone