There are 203 users in the forums

Chips draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • dj43
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by yung_prophet_one:
Our line was a mess this year and he's shown hes not scared going after a lineman early in drafts... Can we really pass up a jack or Ramsey or even goff if he falls to us? Is goff he off our board for sure now?

I doubt anyone is off their board other than possibly Nkemdiche.

People are assuming that they take a WR and bypass a QB but all that remains to be seen.

Basically BPA should be the rule of thumb. I would expect OL or DL to be the pick depending on what goes down in FA.
That will be the key.

RE: OL. With what we already have in Tiller and Brown, with the anticipated return of AD, the addition of a FA or two, (Schwartz/Mack) could change the draft significantly.

I am more excited about FA than the draft. There are a LOT of quality players that will be available at positions that will be of great help to the 49ers, and we have the money to grab 3 or 4 of them and still keep Kaepernick.
That's a weak spot too that can be addressed in the draft or FA. I like Carradine more than Purcell or Jerod-Eddie because at least he has the *potential* to be a decent pass rusher. I guess we could throw Dial out there as well.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Somebody on previous page wrote "Project" , a word that needs to be scrubbed from the 9er vocabulary this yr. NO PROJECTS. We got a half team of them. No secret we need STARTERS:
Center, OT, OG
OLB passrusher
DT

Those 5 starters we have to have. In FA there is pouncey, mack, and albert at Center.
OG we can buy a starter there.
OT should be our #1 pick and he will be a starter.
Then my choice would be to trade up into rd 1 and get the DT starter or the OLB starter, obviously based on BPA.
Then we buy the other one in FA.

that was the pre CHIP list. Now to that we will also need a starting WR, and not a slot ...we got about 3 guys to fill that already. Also, I am still in favor of bringing in 15-20 of the UDFA QBs, and hope we find a gem in those guys. This is predicated on having an all pro QB coach, so that has to be dealt wth and fixed ASAP. The one thing about a CHIP hire and not interviewing shula, McD, and Bevell, is , several of those guys very likely will not be available until after the SB ends, or the week before(or 2 weeks) and that could seriously hamstring CHIP getting top flite assistants, one of whom is a DC. So for that reason, making the decision on Chip now is more palatable. Goff is an excellent college QB, but we really need to fix other slots first. Also, IMO , Goff is not the 7th best player on the board. We got bigger issues to deal with and they are bolded above.

Finally, of our 12 or 13 or 14 picks, under no circumstances should trent make those picks. He definitely should be trading up everything to get another rd 1 and an extra rd 2. So four picks in all 2 in rd 1 and 2 in rd 2. Do that and we could conceivably land in FA and OG, DT or OLB, WR, and maybe an ILB...but all those would have to be STARTERS. The basic problem prior to chip and now is a dearth of real honest to goodness starters at the 5 positions noted above. In FA we can buy a Center, and also a Starting OG. We MAY be able to buy a starting OLB passrusher or DT...to get both in FA is an incredible long shot. The Starter WR is new to my list, and finesse that to be a Pick vs a FA. Whatever, we need a starting WR, not of slot type. And the guy has to be a burner, besides having great hands, run great routes, and be fast as a bolt of lightning.
NO
I think that with Kelly, there's a chance that they'll take a receiver in the first.

Laquan Treadmill is most often compared to Dez Bryant - that would be a pretty exciting pick. I know they need O-line and pass rush, but a Dez Bryant kind of receiver would be pretty special.
wr with the 7th pick.
Originally posted by crake49:
I think that with Kelly, there's a chance that they'll take a receiver in the first.

Laquan Treadmill is most often compared to Dez Bryant - that would be a pretty exciting pick. I know they need O-line and pass rush, but a Dez Bryant kind of receiver would be pretty special.

put kap on the treadmill bruh
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crake49:

It's Treadwell, crake.
it all depends on how we handle Free Agency.. could be OLB/Pass Rusher.. could be WR.. could be stud CB.. but whoever we get will have impact right away
  • dj43
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Chip Kelly's teams at Oregon and Philly were based on speed. Let's all hope he and Baalke can come to a consensus on who to bring in. Speed at the skill positions and in the back 7 on defense would help.

Speed is always critical. It isn't just Kelly's stuff that needs speed. We saw an example of that when we had Willis and Bowman healthy.
If Chip Kelly is our coach, let's embrace it and try to build an explosive offense. Treadwell at #7

Originally posted by mayo49:
It's Treadwell, crake.

Thank you. I know that, but it must have been a brain-fart. Treadwell is probably the real deal - he has tremendous body control, goes way up to take passes away from db's, has breakaway speed, runs good routes and has good hands. At #7, he's much more of a #1 receiver than Crabtree ever was IMO.
It will still be Baalke's draft. We've been going in the direction of this kind of an offense anyway. So I don't think Baalke and Kelly are that far off. Bottom line is we need to shore up the line. It's that simple. Free agency will determine that. We can't whiff in FA this year. We brought in alot of big names this season who didn't get it done. Hopefully we go back to the smart FA of a couple of years ago. I'd like to see Anthony Davis come back and come back to form. That really determines the draft more than anything. Right tackle is THE biggest hole on the team. If Davis comes back and can play then we can go WR and LB. But we must solve right tackle.
I see Kelly as the offensive guru Baalke needs to bring in players to resurrect the offense. Baalke will make some improvements to the defense. I think these two need each other to survive, and hopefully thrive. Kelly took on way too much in Philly and it cost him. He's not stupid...he knows Baalke's his boss and that the two have to learn to work well together. The same holds true for FA...Baalke needs Kelly's inputs to bring in some key vets. Some see these two's relationship as a train wreck...and that's possible, but they need each other, so I tend to think they'll be smart about that and form a solid partnership. That's what the team needs...and they know it.
It may or not surprise anyone but late in the draft I can see Vernon Adams being taken. Great mobile QB. He was a beast at Eastern Washington before transferring to Oregon last year as a senior. He looked really good in the beginning of the season until getting hurt and missing the rest of the season. They still use Chips offense at OR so he would be very familiar with it.
Originally posted by Draftology:
I really wanted Goff if he fell to us, but now I don't think he's going to fall past Cleveland or Dallas, nor do I think we'd take him if he did. We need to take Treadwell if he's available. If we're going to throw Kaep back out there, let's give him the best chance to succeed possible. I know OL is a need, but typically you don't need to spend a top 10 pick on a RT. Last year we didn't have time to replace AD in free agency because he sprung his decision on us so late, which led to the garbage we saw from our OL.

Offseason Plan:
Sign a FA RT or RG (Cordy Glenn or Mitchell Schwartz) (hopefully AD can take over at the other spot)
Sign a cheapish TE (Dwayne Allen or Ladarius Green)
Sign James Starks
Resign Alex Boone
Resign Phil Dawson
Resign Ian Williams
Cut Brooks

Draft:
1st rd = Treadwell
2nd rd = MLB/CB/G
3rd rd = MLB/CB/G
4th rd = MLB/CB/G

I know I didn't address the pass rush, but I think we'll have to live with that and hope Lynch, Harold, and Armstead can develop. If Treadwell is gone I think we take Lawson, but otherwise I don't think we'd be able to get a dynamic pass rusher for next year in FA or in rounds 2-7 of the draft.

QB: Colin Kaepernick
RB: Carlos Hyde
WR1: Torrey Smith
WR2: Laquon Treadwell
TE: Dwayne Allen/Blake Bell
RT: Mitchell Schwarts
RG: Anthony Davis
C: Daniel Kilgore
LG: Alex Boone
LT: Joe Staley

DE: Arik Armstead
NT: Ian Williams
DE: Tank Carradine
OLB: Aaron Lynch
ILB: Navorro Bowman
ILB: *Rookie
OLB: Eli Harold
CB: Tramaine Brock
FS: Antoine Bethea
SS: Eric Reid
CB: Donta Johnson/Rookie*

Would like to see Fleener in Chips Offense.
Also I don't want to stand Pat with what we have as in Pass Rushers. We need an upgrade there.
Share 49ersWebzone