LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 163 users in the forums

What is Ian Williams value?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
4 years with an option. 4.5 per should be enough to keep him happy.
I'm curious why we haven't extended him already
worth more than anyone else on our D line
4 years 20M.
[ Edited by joaosoarrs99 on Jan 30, 2016 at 10:05 PM ]
  • crew
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
He is going to get much more than that, if not from the 49ers, from someone else. There are a dozen teams that would love to have him in the center of their 3-4 alignment. I would give him a 4 year deal with a bunch of incentives that might bring him into the $8MILLION range. His PFF grades this year put him in the "Pro Bowl" quality level.

Due to injuries, his body of work is not as large as other NTs around the league but when he has been healthy, he has been a force. Neither Dorsey or Purcell are close. If Williams leaves, one of the first 3 picks will be a NT to replace him. The NT is the critical component in a 3-4.

Austin Johnson NT, Penn State - 2nd Rd pick.
Hope they can keep him.

I'd offer a 4 year, 22 mil deal, but it has to have some games-played-incentives built in for him to max out the deal.
Chip may want that wide-bodied two-gapper as well. Here's why...

Had to add some context to our run defense; obviously, week 2 and 3 were our worst games giving up a collective 90 points:

Week 1: Adrian Peterson = 31 yards (71 total)
Week 2: DeAngelo Williams = 77 (84)
Week 3: Chris Johnson = 110 (139)
Week 4: Eddie Lacy = 90 (162)
Week 5: Rashad Jennings = 46 (84)
Week 6: Justin Forsett = 62 (77)
Week 7: Marshawn Lynch = 122 (176)
Week 8: Todd Gurley = 133 (197)
Week 9: Devonta Freeman = 12 (17)
Week 10: N/A
Week 11: Thomas Rawls = 209 (255)
Week 12: Andre Ellington = 24 (70)
Week 13: Matt Forte = 84 (170)
Week 14: Isaiah Crowell = 145 (230)
Week 15: Giovani Bernard = 33 (68)
Week 16: Ameer Abdullah = 39 (87)
Week 17: Tre Mason = 44 (133)

Adrian Peterson, DeAngelo Williams, Rashad Jennings, Justin Forsett, Devonta Freeman, Andre Ellington, Giovani Bernard, Ameer Abdullah & Tre Mason = 40 yards

Chris Johnson, Eddie Lacy, Marshawn Lynch, Todd Gurley, Thomas Rawls, Matt Forte & Isaiah Crowell = 152 yards

See a trend guys? We plays some big powerful backs and struggled against them but also shut down many top (athletic) rushing attacks as well (all-or-nothing).

Is it any surprise that one of the very first players we looked at at the Senior Bowl was Austin Johnson? We've been lacking that wide-bodied two-gap NT since we passed on Vince Wilfork...twice. Now, Ian Williams is a must-sign IMHO as well but this could be a move to add another defensive piece to help be more stout in the NFCW and when we play bigger, more physical RB's.

Austin Johnson, NT
School: Penn State | Conference: BIG 10
College Experience: Jr. | Hometown: Galloway, NJ
H-W: 6-4 / 323 LBS.

Projected: Round 2 (45)

Strengths: Johnson possesses the thick-cut frame to fit even and odd fronts, alike, sporting broad shoulders, a big butt and gut and tree trunks for limbs. He's stout at the point of attack, showing the coordination and leg drive to anchor as well as good core strength stand his ground even when caught off-balance.

When he attacks with his hands, Johnson can stack and shed blockers in the hole. Johnson locates the ball quickly and hustles laterally or downfield in pursuit. As a pass rusher, he shows more effort than explosiveness or technique, chopping his hands to fight through would-be blockers but rarely slipping by them freely.

Weaknesses: Despite his gaudy sack production, Johnson is more of a run-stuffer than a pass-rusher. He isn't particularly quick off the ball and like a lot of heavier players, Johnson struggles with pad level. Too often he doesn't extend his arms, playing chest to chest with blockers and only releasing after the ball-carrier is at or past the line of scrimmage.
Originally posted by Niners418:
I'm curious why we haven't extended him already

hes finished every season but this one on IR I believe. team needed to see him stay healthy.
Considering how hard it is to come across a solid NT,

i'd say we need to give Ian basically what he wants, without the price being ridiculous.

I mean, he has gotten injured twice since he's been here, so he can't get expect Suh, Haynesworth money.

Either way, it's important to keep him,

On a side note, i am interested to see Purcell play more, guy shows he can be a beast on the DL.

Rest just comes to the ends, only guys i like on our DE's is Armstead and Dial, Carradine can bounce, as well as TJE.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Chip may want that wide-bodied two-gapper as well. Here's why...

Had to add some context to our run defense; obviously, week 2 and 3 were our worst games giving up a collective 90 points:

Week 1: Adrian Peterson = 31 yards (71 total)
Week 2: DeAngelo Williams = 77 (84)
Week 3: Chris Johnson = 110 (139)
Week 4: Eddie Lacy = 90 (162)
Week 5: Rashad Jennings = 46 (84)
Week 6: Justin Forsett = 62 (77)
Week 7: Marshawn Lynch = 122 (176)
Week 8: Todd Gurley = 133 (197)
Week 9: Devonta Freeman = 12 (17)
Week 10: N/A
Week 11: Thomas Rawls = 209 (255)
Week 12: Andre Ellington = 24 (70)
Week 13: Matt Forte = 84 (170)
Week 14: Isaiah Crowell = 145 (230)
Week 15: Giovani Bernard = 33 (68)
Week 16: Ameer Abdullah = 39 (87)
Week 17: Tre Mason = 44 (133)

Adrian Peterson, DeAngelo Williams, Rashad Jennings, Justin Forsett, Devonta Freeman, Andre Ellington, Giovani Bernard, Ameer Abdullah & Tre Mason = 40 yards

Chris Johnson, Eddie Lacy, Marshawn Lynch, Todd Gurley, Thomas Rawls, Matt Forte & Isaiah Crowell = 152 yards

See a trend guys? We plays some big powerful backs and struggled against them but also shut down many top (athletic) rushing attacks as well (all-or-nothing).

Is it any surprise that one of the very first players we looked at at the Senior Bowl was Austin Johnson? We've been lacking that wide-bodied two-gap NT since we passed on Vince Wilfork...twice. Now, Ian Williams is a must-sign IMHO as well but this could be a move to add another defensive piece to help be more stout in the NFCW and when we play bigger, more physical RB's.

Austin Johnson, NT
School: Penn State | Conference: BIG 10
College Experience: Jr. | Hometown: Galloway, NJ
H-W: 6-4 / 323 LBS.

Projected: Round 2 (45)

Strengths: Johnson possesses the thick-cut frame to fit even and odd fronts, alike, sporting broad shoulders, a big butt and gut and tree trunks for limbs. He's stout at the point of attack, showing the coordination and leg drive to anchor as well as good core strength stand his ground even when caught off-balance.

When he attacks with his hands, Johnson can stack and shed blockers in the hole. Johnson locates the ball quickly and hustles laterally or downfield in pursuit. As a pass rusher, he shows more effort than explosiveness or technique, chopping his hands to fight through would-be blockers but rarely slipping by them freely.

Weaknesses: Despite his gaudy sack production, Johnson is more of a run-stuffer than a pass-rusher. He isn't particularly quick off the ball and like a lot of heavier players, Johnson struggles with pad level. Too often he doesn't extend his arms, playing chest to chest with blockers and only releasing after the ball-carrier is at or past the line of scrimmage.

Are you sure Williams was the issue in those games?

• thl408
Originally posted by bzborow1:

Yeah I'd say the up and down play of Dial, Brooks, and "the ILB not named Bow" were bigger issues with the run defense than Ian. Ian and Lynch were the least of the issues on defense. Spend on Ian, don't draft NT in this draft. Going into next season with Ian and Purcell at NT is just fine.
Originally posted by thl408:

Yeah I'd say the up and down play of Dial, Brooks, and "the ILB not named Bow" were bigger issues with the run defense than Ian. Ian and Lynch were the least of the issues on defense. Spend on Ian, don't draft NT in this draft. Going into next season with Ian and Purcell at NT is just fine.

if you had to list the team needs on defense what would they be?

Id say RE, MLB, ROLB, and more depth at CB.
[ Edited by philosoraptor on Feb 1, 2016 at 12:42 PM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by philosoraptor:

I'll go with DE, OLB, ILB, CB. So it's similar to yours. I put OLB above ILB because I'm content with seeing how much Hodges can grow into that role in base 3-4, and I'm hoping Tartt gets inserted as an ILB in nickel, which then removes "the ILB not named Bow" from nickel personnel.
Originally posted by philosoraptor:

I'll go with DE, OLB, ILB, CB. So it's similar to yours. I put OLB above ILB because I'm content with seeing how much Hodges can grow into that role in base 3-4, and I'm hoping Tartt gets inserted as an ILB in nickel, which then removes "the ILB not named Bow" from nickel personnel.

I agree. I just dont have as much faith in hodges. But he was learning on the job. Tartt could be a deone buchanon type player. Also I am intrigued by harold, assuming he puts on a solid 10-15 pounds, he needs some strength but he started to pass the eye test towards the end of the season to me.

This is where I'm at....we need better LB play next to bow
Share 49ersWebzone