There are 182 users in the forums

Mods, Please Lock - Updated Poll Above

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Mods, Please Lock - Updated Poll Above

Originally posted by ronniefreakinlott42:
What is the workaround regarding The Rooney Rule? If we fire Tomsula, aren't we required to interview a minority? Or does a trade negate that?

They'd have to still interview a minority candidate but the Rooney Rule is pretty ridiculous. They could interview McGaughey or Tim Lewis in a pinch if they wanted to satisfy the rule.
Originally posted by BodhiPaddlesOut:
Operating under the idea that there's no way Shaw or Gase come here.

I think the Gase bridge was already nuked from orbit.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
So what is Payton's trade value?

The Saints are looking for a 2nd rounder. Teams will probably offer a 4th or a 5th knowing that New Orleans is eager to cut ties with him. The Saints will most likely settle for a 3rd or a 4th.

I'd give them a 3rd this year and another 3rd in 2017.
Hue jackson.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
TBH I would give a second tomorrow if i was the GM.

If there's any chance that Brees would come along and start for a couple of years while a young QB was developing...

Even If without, Payton could get more out of Gabbert for a season or two IMO then any other HC out there available could...

A high second would get it done ASAP.
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
So what is Payton's trade value?

The Saints are looking for a 2nd rounder. Teams will probably offer a 4th or a 5th knowing that New Orleans is eager to cut ties with him. The Saints will most likely settle for a 3rd or a 4th.

TBH I would give a second tomorrow if i was the GM.

Send Kap and a 3rd round pick for Payton and Brees tomorrow....
Even If without, Payton could get more out of Gabbert for a season or two IMO then any other HC out there available could...

A high second would get it done ASAP.

I think they'll have a hard time getting a 2nd even. Its too well known that they want to cut ties with him, don't want him for another season and they can't afford to wait too long otherwise all the other candidates will pretty much vanish.

I would ask permission to speak with Payton, see how agreeable he is, what direction he wants to go in, what assistants he'd bring in and then flat out offer them the 3rd round pick and a conditional 5th, 6th or 7th next year depending on how many games the team wins.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 3, 2016 at 1:15 PM ]
Payton I think would be the best possible fit with Baalke if he's staying. A guy who knows and is great at offense to go with a GM whose strength is defense. Both Parcells guys as well.

Pheonix makes a TON of sense. I never thought about it like that.
I can agree with the poll so far. I think Payton, Jackson, Gase, Holmgren or Shaw would all be solid choices. I think Jackson, Gase and Shaw would be a little more boom or bust. Holmgren and especially Payton would be a little safer and less risky. Shaw seems like a great players coach but does he have the x's and o's to keep it going. It doesn't matter how much guys like you because once you start losing the locker room turns on you fast. Has Holmgren been out of the game too long and who would work with him? Any young up and comers that could take over for him in say 3-4 years? We have a staff full of washed up over the hill guys already so last thing we want is an old OC and DC to go with Holmgren who retire if he does. Payton would be a matter of who ran the defense. Wish we would have just kept Fangio and had Gase... doubt that can happen now. I honestly could go either way between these guys... I'm just glad Tomsula is gone. I could 1 A B C between Jackson, Payton and Gase. Holmgren really intrigues me but at the same time I think his time has passed. Shaw is really intriguing as well but could easily be a bust.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Jan 3, 2016 at 1:18 PM ]
Originally posted by pdizo916:

Maybe they could hire Bill as a consultant to mediate any disputes between the two of them.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jan 3, 2016 at 1:17 PM ]

Sean Payton...make it happen Niners .
Originally posted by pdizo916:
Payton I think would be the best possible fit with Baalke if he's staying. A guy who knows and is great at offense to go with a GM whose strength is defense. Both Parcells guys as well.

This would be a good fit, think he could work with Kap as well
Pleas do not keep Tomsula on the team... This will cause problems
Originally posted by trevorontario:
This would be a good fit, think he could work with Kap as well

Payton's biggest weaknesses with the Saints have been drafting defensive players and finding competent DC's. I think Baalke could help with at least the former while Payton could certainly advise on drafting QB's and WRs.
Mangini isn't on this list?
Share 49ersWebzone