There are 242 users in the forums

Player Personnel: Planning For Next Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i like how this board is set much better than the other one i was using. you have much better threads to talk about things. like this one i think personnel has major issues due to incomptence by the FO
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Hyde is better than Murray. Aaron Lynch, yes, our Aaron Lynch has done more than Aldon Smith this season. And even though they play different positions, I see your Khalil Mack and I'll raise you an Arik Armstead at this point. Give us two average O-lineman, just average, guys that would rank in the 30s or 40s out of some 70 to 80 eligible guards and tackles and our offense would look totally different. We literally have three guys that are the bottom 10 to 15 players at their position and they all play right next to each other. Something like that could destroy one side of the ball to the point where you can't even effectively evaluate them.

Do you see the teams you mentioned becoming significantly better just by adding some average players at their positions of weakness?

And our defense is totally being played in the wrong scheme, making those guys look a lot worse than they really are. Out of all the bad teams in the NFL right now (teams with 2 or less wins), I am taking the 49ers to build onto and make fast improvements.

Mack is a lot better than Aaron Lynch (were you kidding putting Armstead ahead of him?) and Aldon Smith is better than Arik Armstead right now. Hyde vs Murray is debatable, but they have Carr, Murray, and Cooper and we have Kaepernick, Hyde, and Smith. They also have Gabe Jackson (24) and Rodney Hudson (26) so their line isn't in as rough of shape as ours going forward. The Raiders could add a RG, RT, and CB and they're a good team (their LT Donald Penn is also very good). I think they already have the talent to win 7-8 games this year.

I would take the Dolphins, Ravens, Raiders, Chiefs, Texans, Titans, Bucs, Cowboys, and Rams rosters if I was starting a franchise before the 49ers. The Browns, 49ers, and Jaguars are close. The Bears, Lions, and Redskins are in rough shape and I wouldn't want to be the Chargers or Saints post-Rivers and Brees.

It's interesting that you say that Raiders could add a RG and RT and they could be a good team. Where would you rate the Raiders RG and RT right now? If we swapped Devey and Pears with the Raiders starting RG and RT, how would their offense look verses ours? Or maybe if we swapped coaching staffs. Do you believe we would look the way we do now with a coaching staff that actually knew how to use the players we have? I'm no Jack Del Rio fan, but I'm curious to know how do you think the Raiders would look with our staff and how we'd look if we had theirs

And no I was not kidding with the Armstead comment. Armstead has looked like our best D lineman when he's out there and it's in very limited action. I jumped the gun to say he's better, but I do believe that if he were starting, you'd see something special. I compared Lynch to Smith and right now, Lynch has performed better this season. It's a tough pill to swallow for Aldon Smith apologists who is a disaster waiting to happen. After beating the Ravens, how could you possibly state that you'd rather have their roster?

There is no way I'd take the Dolphins roster right now. A bad team with overpriced contracts after they just got rid of an overpriced player.
Priority list for me:
1A.OL

1B.QB

2. ILB

3.CB
We are gonna see what the players really think of this organization in the off season . If we have another mass exodus we will know that it wasn't t just an aboration this year. We could be in for a whole lot of new personel
[ Edited by ayleswbj11 on Oct 25, 2015 at 8:28 AM ]
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
We are gonna see what the players really think of this organization in the off season . If we have another mass exodus we will know that it was t just an abortion this year. We could be in for a whole lot of new personel

Are you trying to imply that the retirement of Willis, Smith. Davis and Boreland was in reaction to the organisation? If so I think we need evidence. I haven't seen a single comment to support this.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I should certainly figure to be a busy off-season. It would be really nice if the team could bring back Williams. I'm just not sure if he'll want to test free agency. At 26, he and Purcell could man the position for quite some time. I like Dorsey, but he's 30 this year and is not a great fit at DE. If we re-sign Williams, I'd try to trade Dorsey because Dial also can play NT and serve as a tertiary backup there. Dial does a good job occupying blockers, but he's not much of a pass-rush threat either. The 4-3 honestly might be a good idea, but I don't think they make the switch because of Armstead. They want him playing the 4 technique. Have to stay in the 3-4 to do that.

The OL is definitely the most important. Even with our awful defense and terrible miscommunications, they've only given up 20 points in each of the past two games (and it would've been three games of 20 if not for that late collapse against NYG...). On offense, we cannot do anything against a team with any semblance of a pass rush. The moment the ball is snapped Devey gets slaughtered like a lamb for Passover.

I'd sign a free agent OG or C. If Alex Mack actually voided his deal, AND came here, then I'd slide Kilgore to OG and then draft a guard high to compete with Tiller, Silberman, Martin and Thomas. Kilgore would obviously stay the backup center. If we don't get a FA center, we need to draft a center high. I'd also take a tackle high to compete to start at RT, whether Anthony Davis comes back or not.

Plain and simple, we need to be able to move the ball and we can't do that, run or pass, with a line that gives up immediate pressure with no place to step up.

Priority list for me:

1. OL
2. OLB
3. RB (Hyde never protects himself, and we have no option behind him)
4. DE with pass rush ability
5. WR because we need more playmakers; a tall, fast red-zone threat would be nice
6. ILB insurance

OL is certainly the priority. Dallas has demonstrated that twice. Once in the '90s and again now they have invested in proven quality. Hence it is no secret that they have had a HOF run game in both situations. (Too bad for them this year with Romo getting hurt.) As you said, nothing works until the OL is doing its job. I would grab the best OG or OT with our first pick. Then look for more quality with the next pick unless a pass rushing OLB is there.

Putting pressure on the QB is the most important part of the game as Denver is proving. How else do you explain their record with a dinosaur at QB?

RBs are a dime a dozen. Not as high a priority as the WR you cite. Still, we need another QB. (Draft one each year and throw away the weak ones from the past.)

ILB's are more like RBs - easier to find. I believe we need better secondary players right after OL and pass rush.

I'm not sure that I would put much faith in any of the younger or injured players until I see it on the field.

We definitely need to know if Anthony Davis is coming back before FA/the draft starts so we know where we're at personnel wise. I still think we draft a tackle high as the heir to Staley for the future. I want a tackle and G/C within the first three rounds.
I'm saying had Harbs stayed it may have made a difference in Smith giving another year, maybe Crabs would have taken the contract we offered him. More money than any other team offered. I concede Willis couldn't play anymore. But yes, I believe a lot players didn't want to be a part of this foreseen mess an I believe some on the team still don't. Of course I have no evidence. But many in the league on every show for the last 5 months have been talking about it.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Nice post OTC. The one guy I see coming back is Ian Williams. I think he's a good young player to keep around, and he can be probably be re-signed at a modest price. I'd like to retain Boone as well, but he's likely to leave imo.

Looking at the pre-draft/fa roster, there are big time needs throughout the roster. We can go in any number of directions, but the priority should be to rebuild the o-line and pass rush. Depending on how Kap performs the rest of the way, we may need to look at QB as well.

It's going to be a very busy off-season. In the meantime, we need to play as many young players as possible. The next 9 games should be used for evaluating these players. Find out who can play for next season. We need to know exactly what our off-season needs are.

Totally agree!!

Unfortunately, I don't think they do that.

Not smart enough and wayyyy too stubborn.

I was really hoping JT would have been the Man.

He isn't part of the solution. He's part of the problem.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
If we can re-sign Boone or a guard of equal talent -- the o-line will be fine next season. With Anthony Davis' return and a healthy Kilgore, that would leave only one spot needed major improvement.
Originally posted by ayleswbj11:
I'm saying had Harbs stayed it may have made a difference in Smith giving another year, maybe Crabs would have taken the contract we offered him. More money than any other team offered. I concede Willis couldn't play anymore. But yes, I believe a lot players didn't want to be a part of this foreseen mess an I believe some on the team still don't. Of course I have no evidence. But many in the league on every show for the last 5 months have been talking about it.

This being the case why wouldn't they say so? However you view the situation we are in, I think we have the same players gone whether the HC is Harbaugh, Tomsula, Gase or Shanahan. I think by speculating that things would have changed, you are just indulging in wishful thinking and trying to make the current people look worse. Why, having retired, would they not have taken the opportunity to go public if they felt that way? The main part of what you describe as "this foreseen mess" actually wasn't foreseeable. Justin hanging up the cleats was bound to happen sometime. But not the others. Losing that amount of sheer talent and leadership, whilst Bowman struggles to return to form is just a killer. Crabtree, Iupati RayMac etc were no great loss.

Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by NTeply49:
http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/128127592/nfl-free-agents-2016-preview
there are a few huge names on this list.

LT Trent Williams
C Stephen Wisnewski
RB Lamar Miller
WR Demarium Thomas
WR T.Y. Hilton
WR Ashlon Jeffrey (Best pairing with Toery Smith?)
DE Muhammad Wilkerson
So many OLBs! Justin Houstan, Von Miller and Ryan Kerrigan
CB Josh Norman (that'd be sweet)
CB Leon Hall
CB Sean Smith (Need a tall guy)
S Eric Berry

We could break the bank and sign one or 2 of these guys

Most will be resigned. And we won't get into a heavy bidding war.

Agree.

Wilkerson may be available - drafting Richardson gave the Jets room to maneuver. Even though Sheldon is a jackass.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I don't get all these people who say this is Kap's last year. I think they're going to keep him no matter what.

I agree.

He's Trent's guy and I don't see Baalke making those kind of moves.
Originally posted by Rascal:
You are suggesting to put out the same putrid performance out there and pay him $17 million for doing so?

I, on the other hand believe we have seen all we need to see from Kap, good and bad and that includes when he actually had a great O-line in 2012 an 2013.

Do you think Baalke (if he is still around) will let Jed York see another Thursday Night Football snackdown at Levi's?

I will personally guarantee you, if Kap is still our QB, the 9ers will continue to get raped by the Seahawks.

There is no way Baalke will survive another bad performance from Kap after this season. In fact, I am not even sure he will survive the coming offseason.

I would be totally shocked if we don' cut bait with Kap after this season.

Just too much time has been wasted on Kap and in not drafting a QB for the past 2 years.

I agree Kap has sucked!

It isn't all on him.

1st Our coaching is some of the worst in the NFL.

2nd Our Oline is is vomit inducing.

3rd I've been a Baalke guy and still like some of the things he does. I think he's stuck int Parcell's mentality.

We'll never go to a WCO offens w/Trent at the helm.

I really hope I'm wrong.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by mayo49:
I don't get all these people who say this is Kap's last year. I think they're going to keep him no matter what.

I agree.

He's Trent's guy and I don't see Baalke making those kind of moves.
I don't think Kaep was Trent's guy, he wanted Dalton. Colin was Harbaugh's guy.
Originally posted by Wrathman:
I don't think Kaep was Trent's guy, he wanted Dalton. Colin was Harbaugh's guy.

This. McDonald, Gabbert, Jonathan Martin, Owen M, James, etc.

A GM works with his HC to help get his guys esp. at QB since Jim was the QB guru.
Share 49ersWebzone