LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 200 users in the forums

Is There a disconnect or change with fans

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Homer:
Originally posted by LenCat:
I've been to every Levi's game so far and went to the Stick 2-3 times a year since the Spurrier days. Not the same passion among fans now compared to the stick. Plus the whole average demographic seems 10 years younger. PLUS there is 5 to 10% (depending on the team) more opposing team fans there now! Although I must say there IS quite a bit of noise now
I've noticed the opposing fans for a while now. I remember on a Sunday or Monday night game at the stick vs the Bears that I went to a while back had the most opposing fans I've ever seen. Jay cutler threw 5 picks and we barely won.

I have no idea why our stadium seems so dead yet our fans turned violent. Very strange shift.

San Francisco is a destination city, attracts people from all over the world so this isn't surprising.

The South Bay is where you see 9er gear take over. But now it's just symbolizes shame.
This has been an issue for many teams that move into new palaces. I remember reading an article out of Denver. Mile High was insane and Invesco ain't the same.

For us its the combo of a different demo at the game, different stadium and the team usually not giving anything to the fans to cheer for.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for amir_tn80.
NFL stadiums in general are not as intimidating as they were in the 80's and 90's. That's actually true for all sports, especially the NBA. I remember back in the 90's the referees would warn to take a timeout away from the home team because the crowds were so loud the offenses couldn't run a play. That would happen in KC, Minn, Detroit, NO, old Kingdome in Seattle, and other places. You just don't see that anymore. Not even in C-Link.

As for Levi's, Yorks were never going for a stadium that would cater to the hardcore fans. This was a cash grab and nothing more. As long as PSLs are sold and money is coming in from concerts and other events, they got exactly what they wanted.
I'd say most die-hard, knowledgeable 49ers fans are priced out of the stadium market.

The seats are costly enough, but everything that goes along with it makes it a much better and cheaper experience to stay home, go to a friend's house or a local tavern, etc. to watch the game.

Beyond that, I noticed a lot of the time that fans attending the games don't know enough about football to be quiet when the offense is calling the plays or to be loud when the visiting team's offense is on the field. I noticed this int he past, it just seems like they have a low football fan IQ. Of course this year there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of reason for fans to stay up for the games (after they begin) with the wind being taken out of the sails by the product on the field.
[ Edited by 49er-from-Yavin-IV on Oct 23, 2015 at 9:39 AM ]
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
Lots of the longtime Faithful got priced out by the Yorks.

may be just as simple as that bud i guess you rape what you sew ,, or something like that i will also bet you that 97 per cent of that faithful you speak of are right here on the webzone

The Faithful are watching for sure but many of them could not afford the PSL and ticket prices.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
This has little to do with the putrid effort last night and maybe this goes into levis stadium thread. Has the makeup of the fan base changed who go to games in the new stadium and I ask those who go. I know we got our ass kicked but last night and in games this year and last year, I do not sense the raucous energy from the fans at the new stadium. back at stick, even if we lost you had high energy from crazy fans. because the stadium moved from the bay area have the fans changed or are there different types of fans going. instead of the energy which the team needs, it seems people are going to set away from the field in other areas, eating sushi , visiting with people and of course doing social media while paying little attention to the game. i almost feel even if we were 6-0 there would be a real lack of energy and noise in this new place. is there is disconnect with fans the team solely with the new stadium, the move etc? I know the team has bigger fish to fry than this, but just wondered what people think, who went to the stick and to the new place. thank you cc

Maybe they are just happy we are losing huh cc ?
My folks had NY Giant season tickets since they played at the Polo Grounds. Their seats at Yankee Stadium were right on the 50. They even travelled to the Yale Bowl in New Haven Ct when the Stadium was being renovated. They followed the team to NJ, both passed away and left the season tickets to their children, all big fans. When the Sucka License came in the mail with a 40K price tag all family members declined, end of an era for a dedicated family. Over Sixty years meant nothing, just dollars, that's all.
Originally posted by Homer:
Originally posted by LenCat:
I've been to every Levi's game so far and went to the Stick 2-3 times a year since the Spurrier days. Not the same passion among fans now compared to the stick. Plus the whole average demographic seems 10 years younger. PLUS there is 5 to 10% (depending on the team) more opposing team fans there now! Although I must say there IS quite a bit of noise now
I've noticed the opposing fans for a while now. I remember on a Sunday or Monday night game at the stick vs the Bears that I went to a while back had the most opposing fans I've ever seen. Jay cutler threw 5 picks and we barely won.

I have no idea why our stadium seems so dead yet our fans turned violent. Very strange shift.

I remember before we won our first Super Bowl, when the cowboys came to town, they almost outnumbered us. They were all dressed up in their cowboy gear and their team kicked our butt. But that all changed in 81 and they kind of disappeared after that...
  • Jiks
I try to make one game a year. Last year I didn't have the financial means, but this year I worked my ass off all summer to attend the MNF opener. I've come to the conclusion that with the money I spent on everything in SF, I could've went somewhere more ideal. I spent $3000, and that's fine, but I spent it on an awful product. I could be sitting on a beach drinking free cocktails and watching the same thing in Cozumel(just an example).

Don't get me wrong, I love SF and the area, but I've been there many times already. To go strictly for a product of Jed York anymore is a waste of money to me until something "major" happens.
Lol

Ahh yes everybody get loud for our defense so we can get the ball back and go 3 and out
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Ahh yes everybody get loud for our defense so we can get the ball back and go 3 and out

i know my question has little to do with the product on the field, it was just something i thought of when that the stadium seemed like a tomb last night. i also understand you can not blame them for having nothing to cheer about either. even when the team is bad, i just can not imagine going to a niner game just to set away from the game, eat sushi and tweet all night long. the most fun my youngest and i had was going to a niners chiefs pre season game years ago. great atmosphere , even in pre season, cheap tickets, only 20 bucks for a good parking spot. good hot dogs. maybe i am just to blue collar
  • luv49rs
  • Hall of Fame
This has little to do with the putrid effort last night and maybe this goes into levis stadium thread. Has the makeup of the fan base changed who go to games in the new stadium and I ask those who go. I know we got our ass kicked but last night and in games this year and last year, I do not sense the raucous energy from the fans at the new stadium. back at stick, even if we lost you had high energy from crazy fans. because the stadium moved from the bay area have the fans changed or are there different types of fans going. instead of the energy which the team needs, it seems people are going to set away from the field in other areas, eating sushi , visiting with people and of course doing social media while paying little attention to the game. i almost feel even if we were 6-0 there would be a real lack of energy and noise in this new place. is there is disconnect with fans the team solely with the new stadium, the move etc? I know the team has bigger fish to fry than this, but just wondered what people think, who went to the stick and to the new place. thank you cc

cc, i do think there is less energy at levi's and idk why. i went to 7 games last year and levi's felt much different, quieter, than the atmosphere at candlestick. there was one game in particular where riki and i were the only ones cheering in our section. it felt really awkward.
granted i haven't been to Levi's yet....... but i blame social media.
Originally posted by luv49rs:
cc, i do think there is less energy at levi's and idk why. i went to 7 games last year and levi's felt much different, quieter, than the atmosphere at candlestick. there was one game in particular where riki and i were the only ones cheering in our section. it felt really awkward.

Do you think it is the location Sara? Kind of hard to get to. The actual building is nice, way better than the Stick.
Share 49ersWebzone