LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 158 users in the forums

Week 3 2015: Thoughts after rewatching the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
We lack speed with our CBs to cover vertical threats adequately. We try to compensate and it leaves a lot of room on the short to medium areas.

The lack of speed on defense (secondary specifically) was very alarming the last two days. You've got guys just running free on verts and then when we did soften up they where just running away horizontally.

Fitz made a killing behind the LBs and in front of the safeties. It looked so easy for them.
Originally posted by ronniefreakinlott42:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Here comes. Like a little kid......I told you so. I told you so. Well we told you so! That the Niners would destroy the Vikings and ap. I'm sure you didn't agree. Anyways it's kinda annoying after two games we were EXPECTED to lose on the road with 3 backup o lineman and so on, to have the I told you so people come in and say exactly that.

Truth is this team still has a very talented roster with more pro bowlers than most teams in the NFL. We just couldn't predict Aldon Anthony Davis being gone as well as Kilgore not being back. It has severely hampered this team.

More Pro Bowlers than MOST teams in the NFL? Surely you jest.
Surely not. Staley VD bowman brooks bathea Reid that's 6. Name other teams that have more? Now if they are not currently playing at a probowl level that isn't the issue bc the same could be said about Bree's RW lynch and many other players including Peyton manning so don't even try with that argument.

Now I must ask you....surely you jest?
Originally posted by thl408:
We lack speed with our CBs to cover vertical threats adequately. We try to compensate and it leaves a lot of room on the short to medium areas.

The lack of speed on defense (secondary specifically) was very alarming the last two days. You've got guys just running free on verts and then when we did soften up they where just running away horizontally.

Fitz made a killing behind the LBs and in front of the safeties. It looked so easy for them.

do you think it is lack of speed and skill or do you think this is a schematic breakdown? or both?
Originally posted by bzborow1:
Have to agree with Marvin on this one. The only positives I could find out of this game include Hyde, Armstead and Hayne and the Aussie only had one good play. Thought I should point out the individuals who actually graded out positively yesterday, they include:

DE Arik Armstead (+1.7)
DE Quinton Dial (+1.0)
LT Joe Staley (+1.0)
TE Garrett Celek (+0.9)
CB Dontae Johnson (+0.9)

Food for thought. Are these guys grades being dragged into the mud because of the awfulness of some of their teammates?

On Kaepernick, yesterdays performance was so bad the 49ers might want to add some more QB's to the scouting department's list for next season. Colin is now four years in and to have coaches (still) saying they need to simplify the playbook while he goes out and plays so inconsistently is starting to wear thin. He's always had the potential and work effort but something just never seems to click on a consistent basis. If the guy wasn't getting paid as much as he is you might be able to excuse performances like yesterdays.

Here's the problem with the simplifying of the offense argument versus Kap. Could it very well be because of the line? It is painfully obvious the line can not hold up for longer developing routes. It very well can be because of Kap, but even in max protection the pressure still would get to Colin. He couldn't step into the first pick 6 because someone was in his face. Still he could have held it a little long as well.

I thought about the coaches film from last week and how Pittsburg went max protection and allowed Big Ben to let it fly. How is it that we are in max protection, but our QB still has to get the ball out quick.

I'm not taking blame from Kap because he was AWFUL yesterday, just an observation I have.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

do you think it is lack of speed and skill or do you think this is a schematic breakdown? or both?

I think it's mainly a schematic breakdown. It seems to me that the defenders are just sitting in zone, waiting to break on the throw. The 4 man pass rush is sucking. It's not working.

There's like no answers right now. If you press up they run right by us.....if you play soft, they just run away from us. Terrible spot to be in. Either we lack the fundamental speed needed or these guys are playing slow trying to learn the new system. I wish I had the answers, because if I/we knew, you know they would know as well.
Here comes. Like a little kid......I told you so. I told you so. Well we told you so! That the Niners would destroy the Vikings and ap. I'm sure you didn't agree. Anyways it's kinda annoying after two games we were EXPECTED to lose on the road with 3 backup o lineman and so on, to have the I told you so people come in and say exactly that.

Truth is this team still has a very talented roster with more pro bowlers than most teams in the NFL. We just couldn't predict Aldon Anthony Davis being gone as well as Kilgore not being back. It has severely hampered this team.

Surely not. Staley VD bowman brooks bathea Reid that's 6. Name other teams that have more? Now if they are not currently playing at a probowl level that isn't the issue bc the same could be said about Bree's RW lynch and many other players including Peyton manning so don't even try with that argument.

Staley is the only one that is a pro bowler at this current state. Just because the other players made the pro bowl in years past doesn't mean they are probowl players now. Look at VD. The guys head is not in it anymore. The guy plays soft, never extends himself on passes and looks like he runs weak routes now.

They made Pro Bowls in the PAST. To say any of them will make it this year is ludacris. Go ahead and throw Bush in there, too then. And, guess what, we also have a championship winning coach!
[ Edited by ronniefreakinlott42 on Sep 28, 2015 at 10:54 AM ]
  • All22
  • Veteran

There's like no answers right now. If you press up they run right by us.....if you play soft, they just run away from us. Terrible spot to be in. Either we lack the fundamental speed needed or these guys are playing slow trying to learn the new system. I wish I had the answers, because if I/we knew, you know they would know as well.

We shut down so many top WR's with Fangio's pattern matching schemes, why change them?
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

I think it's mainly a schematic breakdown. It seems to me that the defenders are just sitting in zone, waiting to break on the throw. The 4 man pass rush is sucking. It's not working.

that makes me feel a little better. I mean it is pretty surreal. i understand the pass rush is not doing them any favors, but there are literally these massive holes in the coverage where guys are just absolutely wide open and then everyone seems to be confused with how that happened.

• thl408
Originally posted by All22:

We shut down so many top WR's with Fangio's pattern matching schemes, why change them?
That's what I'm sayin.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by asu49ers:

Staley is the only one that is a pro bowler at this current state. Just because the other players made the pro bowl in years past doesn't mean they are probowl players now. Look at VD. The guys head is not in it anymore. The guy plays soft, never extends himself on passes and looks like he runs weak routes now.

Vernon is done. We always knew his game wouldn't age well. I hope the team doesn't resign him in the off-season.
Originally posted by All22:

That's the million dollar question, right there.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

4) Bowman: I want to be careful not to make out like I'm putting any significant blame on him, but it is pretty clear that's he's not close to %100. He's just really slow all over the field and at times seems to make less that a 100% effort. I can only assume tis is not about heart or desire, but about confidence in the knee. Whatever it is, he's not close to the same guy right now. I can only hope that changes.

Yup -- this was brought up time and again during yesterday's radio broadcast (I did listen while driving to Home Depot to get a new-fangled light bulb for the master bathroom). Ryan repeatedly brought up that Bowman was missing the speed and explosiveness that made him a special player. Don't know if he'll ever get it back. Football is such a demanding game and these guys just sacrifice their bodies every Sunday, year in and year out. It's no wonder that some careers are cut short by injury. Bowman has been given more than a year to recover from a horrific injury and he still isn't quite right. He may never be the same player he once was.
I couldnt watch the game once, let alone re-watch it.

You are brave sir. Very brave.
Share 49ersWebzone