LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 140 users in the forums

What words best describe the 49ers fan base and how are we viewed by the NFL community?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Not being a native of SF or the states and fairly green to the game i was interested to understand how the SF fan base is seen by the rest of the community, and how do we see ourselves?

I read about the case of violence after the game last week, thats part of what got me thinking of what type of a fan base are we and how are we viewed by the wider community?

By no means am i taking that as an example of 9ers fans, that happens in sports stadiums all round the world, including where im from, it just got me thinking what is the perception and culture of 9ers fans over the years?

If i asked other teams supporters name 5 things or words that come to mind when i say '49ers fans' what do you think they would say?, and what would you say yourself?

Cheers and GO THE 9ers..
[ Edited by 12InchEel on Sep 20, 2015 at 6:30 AM ]
Interesting...
Originally posted by Zealot:
Interesting...

I'm hoping so mate, i want to know what ive got myself in for lol.
Guys, the harsh reality is that the 49er fanbase is not seen in a positive light.

Fanbase is seen as being bandwagon, "whiners", etc.

Some of it is true but another element is that this team is a legacy franchise in the league with the 5 Super Bowls in 14 seasons (unprecedented) along with 18 out of 21 consecutive seasons being 10+ win affairs, and the HATE that comes with success.

Not everyone hates the 49ers but there is a desire to see them not be successful around the league. Similar to (but not quite as bad as) Dallas.

Pittsburgh and Green Bay have similar success but not quite the level of hatred. Perhaps bc they are viewed as more legit sports towns -- and if you've ever been there you can see why.

Hope that answers the question.

I do believe the 49ers are the most popular team internationally as shown by studies, so you guys will be fine where you are.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Sep 20, 2015 at 6:48 AM ]
I'd like to reiterate my first point:

Despite the recent fan violence we aren't seen as rough and tough like Philadelphia Eagles, Oakland Raider fans that start crap literally at every game.

We are given that "wine and cheese" crowd that was true in the 80s for some fans maybe, and it stuck.

Entitled is a good term. Some of that is true but it also comes with the territory of sustained success.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
in my journeys and travels we are seen as a whining fan base who believe the nfl and the refs are against us.. on a personal level in the zone, i see far to many fair weather fans, not bandwagon people but fair weather. i also have been distressed to see people who are very eager to dog our own players while worshiping players on other teams,, and i also see more support for 49er players when they become x 49er players.. the OP asked and that is how i see it
Originally posted by cciowa:
in my journeys and travels we are seen as a whining fan base who believe the nfl and the refs are against us.. on a personal level in the zone, i see far to many fair weather fans, not bandwagon people but fair weather. i also have been distressed to see people who are very eager to dog our own players while worshiping players on other teams,, and i also see more support for 49er players when they become x 49er players.. the OP asked and that is how i see it

Who f**king cares?? I like the team, dont care what random strangers think about me or the fanbase in general. Way too many other things to worry about to be concerned about people's often erroneous conclusions spoonfed to them by the media.
forty whiners.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by cciowa:

Who f**king cares?? I like the team, dont care what random strangers think about me or the fanbase in general. Way too many other things to worry about to be concerned about people's often erroneous conclusions spoonfed to them by the media.
i was just giving an opinion to the question posed by the poster. i have never cared what other people think or what our perception is in the world.
Just got two:

Jed

York

Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
I'd like to reiterate my first point:

Despite the recent fan violence we aren't seen as rough and tough like Philadelphia Eagles, Oakland Raider fans that start crap literally at every game.

We are given that "wine and cheese" crowd that was true in the 80s for some fans maybe, and it stuck.

Entitled is a good term. Some of that is true but it also comes with the territory of sustained success.

Nice mate, thanks for you're well thought out posts, thats what i was looking for, an honest appraisal, thanks for taking the time to reply, cheers
We are frequently seen as entitled whiners, especially when it comes to our expectations of QB play. Many in our fan base tried to run a HOF QB out of town. I believe the whiners are just an extremely vocal minority.

We also have a legacy of being faithful, weathering dark times to keep our stadium sold out. I've watched the Seahawks (self-proclaimed best fans) when they sucked, and it was a ghost town, full of red jerseys.
Diverse

Hi mate, he was just answering my question with a really good answer.

Im not implying anybody should care, My league club comes from a traditionally poorer and rougher area in Sydney, our fans cop heaps, we dont care, we lap it up, im not implying 49ers fans should care, im just interested.

cheers
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
We are frequently seen as entitled whiners, especially when it comes to our expectations of QB play. Many in our fan base tried to run a HOF QB out of town. I believe the whiners are just an extremely vocal minority.

We also have a legacy of being faithful, weathering dark times to keep our stadium sold out. I've watched the Seahawks (self-proclaimed best fans) when they sucked, and it was a ghost town, full of red jerseys.

Thanks mate, exactly what i was looking for, warts and all and if one is going to embrace something it has to be done warts and all.
Share 49ersWebzone