There are 398 users in the forums

How many Niners wins this season??

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How many Niners wins this season??

Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by boast:
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182351-pymwymi-2015-2016-edition-year/

this

To be honest I looked around for this kind of post and did not see it. I wouldn't have created this.
Originally posted by OldJoe:
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by boast:
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/182351-pymwymi-2015-2016-edition-year/

this

To be honest I looked around for this kind of post and did not see it. I wouldn't have created this.

No biggie...it was a quality post nonetheless.
I get the National Media's view. Were a 8-8 team and am dropping from there. I still strongly believe it was an outlier. Constant injuries everywhere and a power struggle with FO, ownership and coaching staff. I still think this latter situation was significant. As we know preaching team is sacrificing you're selfish agenda for the greater good of the team. That is a hard sell when their is a (selfish) power struggle occurring at the highest levels.
I will take the vegas odds and round up, so my prediction is 7 games. Baalke gets fired too since Jed needs a scapegoat.
I get the National Media's view. Were a 8-8 team and am dropping from there. I still strongly believe it was an outlier. Constant injuries everywhere and a power struggle with FO, ownership and coaching staff. I still think this latter situation was significant. As we know preaching team is sacrificing you're selfish agenda for the greater good of the team. That is a hard sell when their is a (selfish) power struggle occurring at the highest levels.

This is how I see the situation as well. I fully agree with you that the media is seeing a team that went 8-8, lost a head coach who has a great winning record, turned over the rest of the coaching staff, lost a mess of great players to retirement/free agency, and then hired a head coach nobody expected them to. With no bombshell free agent signings or splashy draft picks, the media sees the Niners arrow pointing drastically down and I fully understand that. They just don't know what to make of this team right now, it is a complete unknown to them.

As the season progresses I think we'll see a team really come together and prove some of the doubters wrong. I still have a hard time seeing the team win over 10 games simply because there is a lot of new talent that needs time to learn the game and play together. If I'm wrong about that I'll be all the more happy. I don't expect dominance from this team, not yet. But I fully expect them to be competitive in every game as well as a fun team to watch.
Last year, a significant increase in dropped passes, penalties and missed assignments last year were evidence to me that the offense quit on Harbaugh and/or Roman. The offense this coming season might respond with increased production as they did when the Niners got rid of Nolan and Singletary.

But there's evidence that Tomsula isn't the man they need. His switching Boone to left guard smacks as a "yes boy" to Baalke's contract concerns and pettiness against Boone's holdout. Yes, I've heard all the blather about leftside footwork so Boone will be better able to back up Staley. What about backing up whomever plays RT if he should be injured? Wouldn't playing tackle be better training for a tackle than LG footwork? If Boone continues to play left guard (and even right guard) in training camp, get ready to pucker on a sour season.

With his 49 catches and 767 yards last year, Torrey Smith will have to replace not only Crabtree but Stevie Johnson for their combined 103 catches and 1100 yards. Smith's 11 TDs outpaces Crabtree's and Johnson's combine 7 TDs. Jerome Simpson may replace Brandon Lloyd's production.

The defense should be good. Talent is deep except at MLB. Two elite talents in Bowman and A. Smith. But the offense has no elite talent. Last year's injuries were mostly defensive, except for A. Davis and he's gone. They're emphasizing a new blocking scheme. New coaches everywhere. The head coach jumped from being a defensive position coach. A lot of travel, playoff team opponents.

Everything could click and every offensive player has his best season. But expectations are this team will repeat its 8-8 record.
Originally posted by SoCold:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by SoCold:
This post is of sound mind. The one above it has far too many words for me to care about at this time.

LMAO! Totally forgot about that!

If we are 7-2 at the bye I'll come back and read it.

No you won't.
Originally posted by JoeBart324:

This is how I see the situation as well. I fully agree with you that the media is seeing a team that went 8-8, lost a head coach who has a great winning record, turned over the rest of the coaching staff, lost a mess of great players to retirement/free agency, and then hired a head coach nobody expected them to. With no bombshell free agent signings or splashy draft picks, the media sees the Niners arrow pointing drastically down and I fully understand that. They just don't know what to make of this team right now, it is a complete unknown to them.

As the season progresses I think we'll see a team really come together and prove some of the doubters wrong. I still have a hard time seeing the team win over 10 games simply because there is a lot of new talent that needs time to learn the game and play together. If I'm wrong about that I'll be all the more happy. I don't expect dominance from this team, not yet. But I fully expect them to be competitive in every game as well as a fun team to watch.

Agreed on point 1.

Point 2 as well...but if we actually don't get raped by the refs, a couple balls actually bounce OUR way, we don't have 19 key players on I.R., I'm really expecting a playoff caliber experience this year.

Way too much talent and depth not to despite the added travel, coaching changes and philosophy and a perceived hard schedule.

We were in every game last year with 19 key players on I.R. and players in-and-out of the lineup all year (even in-game), internal drama and some of the poorest offensive coaches in the game in complete befuddlement. I don't know if ANY other team could have pulled off 8 wins with a REAL shot at 13 (5 give-away-games).
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 23, 2015 at 8:47 AM ]
  • MikeD
  • Veteran
Got this off of Walterfootball.com just for the lols

2015 San Francisco 49ers Offense: It's safe to say that the 49ers are going to struggle on this side of the ball. There are multiple reasons for this, but none are greater than the departure of Jim Harbaugh. The Michigan-bound coach was ushered out of town because he wasn't a "yes man" for Trent Baalke; in fact, Baalke spent nearly a year undermining Harbaugh, prompting San Francisco's struggles in 2014. The very act will get Baalke fired at some point in the near future.

Colin Kaepernick struggled a bit this past season, seeing his touchdown-to-interception ratio move from 21:8 to 19:10, and his YPA drop from 7.7 to 7.0. This is only a taste of what's to come, as Harbaugh was a quarterback guru who got the most out of both Kaepernick and Alex Smith. Without Harbaugh, Kaepernick will regress, much like Matt Cassel did when he was separated from Charlie Weis in Kansas City a few years ago. It's foolish to believe that losing a top-three NFL head coach won't have its consequences

Another reason for the impending ineptitude of San Francisco's offense is the departure of guard Mike Iupati, who signed with the Cardinals. Iupati was the team's top run-blocking lineman, so his absence will hurt the rushing attack. It was already evident that the running game wouldn't be as efficient, as Frank Gore left for Indianapolis. Carlos Hyde will take over as the full-time back. Despite his age - he just turned 32 - Gore outgained Hyde in terms of yards per carry (4.3 to 4.0), and it's unclear if Hyde can handle a full workload. The 49ers signed Reggie Bush to handle the pass-catching duties, but Bush is a has-been who flamed out in Detroit. Bush was ineffective for the most part, and he was even benched on numerous occasions because he made too many mental errors.

Kaepernick won't have much help from his receiving corps either. The hobbled Michael Crabtree is gone, and the 49ers signed Torrey Smith as a replacement. This may seem like a quality move on the surface, but there's enough history of wideouts leaving strong organizations for dysfunctional teams for any logical thinker to be pessimistic. Smith has never been a consistent player - he was second in the NFL in terms of drops last year - and pairing him with an up-and-down quarterback who lost his mentor doesn't seem like a good idea. Kaepernick will continue to lean on Anquan Boldin, but there's no telling how much longer Boldin, 35 in October, will be effective. The same can be said for aging tight end Vernon Davis, who had just 26 catches in 2014.

Getting back to the offensive line, the interior is very sketchy right now. Iupati's defection will push 2014 third-rounder Brandon Thomas into the starting lineup. It's unclear if Thomas will perform well because he has never played a snap on the professional level. Joe Looney is the other option, but he was dreadful in brief action last season. Thomas will start next to center Marcus Martin, who was chosen in the same exact frame in 2014. Martin started eight games as a rookie and was dreadful in every single one. Right guard Alex Boone is the only player saving the interior line from being a true abomination.

San Francisco was much better shape at the tackle position until early June when right tackle Anthony Davis retired for a "year or two." An inept blocker like Erik Pears may start in his place, though there's a chance sixth-round rookie Ian Silberman could win the job. On a positive note, Joe Staley is one of the best left tackles in the business, and at 31 (on Aug. 30), he should be highly productive for at least 2-3 more seasons. It's worth noting, however, that Staley is already questioning the new coaching staff's decision to move to a zone-blocking scheme, something he is not comfortable with.

2015 San Francisco 49ers Defense:

It's hard to say whether San Francisco's offense or defense is in worse shape. Both units have lost key personnel, after all. But while the departures of Jim Harbaugh, Frank Gore and Mike Iupati were expected, no one saw what was coming for the 49ers on the other side of the ball.

San Francisco lost a whopping six defensive starters this offseason, and all of them were extremely key pieces. The three that stick out are Patrick Willis, Chris Borland and Justin Smith because they all retired. Willis and Borland walking away was definitely unexpected. Willis turned 30 this offseason and had dealt with injuries that caused him to miss 10 games in 2014, but he still had 2-3 strong seasons left in the tank. Borland, meanwhile, was exceptional as a rookie, but decided to call it quits because he was afraid of the long-term effects of concussions despite the rapid advance of medical science. The only skilled inside linebacker left is NaVorro Bowman, who missed the entire 2014 campaign with a knee injury. Michael Wilhoite, who struggled last year, will have to start next to Bowman.

Smith, meanwhile, had hinted at retirement, so it wasn't a complete shock that he hung up the cleats. However, Smith was still dominant last season, so he'll definitely be missed, especially given that Ray McDonald is also gone. McDonald, who was arrested for his third domestic violence incident this spring, was an absolute force for the 49ers over the years. He might be a scumbag because of what he does off the field, but there's no denying that the 49ers will be much worse without him.

With Smith and McDonald both gone, the projected starters at defensive end will be Arik Armstead and Darnell Dockett. This is troublesome, given that Armstead was considered a project entering the 2015 NFL Draft, while Dockett hadn't played well for years in Arizona. The two will sandwich Glenn Dorsey, who was out all of 2014 with torn biceps. Dorsey is just a mediocre talent, but he might just be San Francisco's best defensive lineman.

The other two starters who departed were cornerbacks Perrish Cox and Chris Culliver. The duo was solid in 2014, so some combination of Tramaine Brock, Shareece Wright, Chris Cook and Donate Johnson will have to fill those shoes. Brock and Johnson are probably the best bets even though the latter didn't show much in his rookie campaign last year. Wright was an absolute embarrassment for San Diego this past season. Last year's first-rounder Jimmie Ward, meanwhile, will continue to be the slot corner, though he struggled in that role as a rookie.

The corners will have to get help from both the safety group and the pass-rushers. Eric Reid and Antoine Bethea will reprise their roles as starters at the former position, though second-round rookie Jaquiski Tartt will push Reid for playing time. Bethea was exceptional in 2014, but Reid happened to be very inconsistent in coverage.

As for the pass-rushers, there are numerous concerns. Can the extremely talented Aldon Smith stay out of trouble? Will Ahmad Brooks bounce back from a horrid 2014 campaign? Will Corey Lemonier ever develop? Can 2014 fifth-rounder Aaron Lynch prove that he can become an every-down player? There are all sorts of questions here, and the disconcerting thing for the 49ers is that the outside linebackers might just be the top unit on San Francisco's defense after the safety spot.

2015 San Francisco 49ers Analysis: It's hard to believe that the 49ers were in the NFC Championship about 18 months ago. Things change quickly in the NFL, and now San Francisco is one of the worst teams in the league. With Jim Harbaugh and a swarm of talented players all gone, the 49ers will be lucky to win five games in 2015.

Projection: 4-12 (TBA in NFC West)
Originally posted by MikeD:
Got this off of Walterfootball.com just for the lols

2015 San Francisco 49ers Offense: It's safe to say that the 49ers are going to struggle on this side of the ball. There are multiple reasons for this, but none are greater than the departure of Jim Harbaugh. The Michigan-bound coach was ushered out of town because he wasn't a "yes man" for Trent Baalke; in fact, Baalke spent nearly a year undermining Harbaugh, prompting San Francisco's struggles in 2014. The very act will get Baalke fired at some point in the near future.

Colin Kaepernick struggled a bit this past season, seeing his touchdown-to-interception ratio move from 21:8 to 19:10, and his YPA drop from 7.7 to 7.0. This is only a taste of what's to come, as Harbaugh was a quarterback guru who got the most out of both Kaepernick and Alex Smith. Without Harbaugh, Kaepernick will regress, much like Matt Cassel did when he was separated from Charlie Weis in Kansas City a few years ago. It's foolish to believe that losing a top-three NFL head coach won't have its consequences

Another reason for the impending ineptitude of San Francisco's offense is the departure of guard Mike Iupati, who signed with the Cardinals. Iupati was the team's top run-blocking lineman, so his absence will hurt the rushing attack. It was already evident that the running game wouldn't be as efficient, as Frank Gore left for Indianapolis. Carlos Hyde will take over as the full-time back. Despite his age - he just turned 32 - Gore outgained Hyde in terms of yards per carry (4.3 to 4.0), and it's unclear if Hyde can handle a full workload. The 49ers signed Reggie Bush to handle the pass-catching duties, but Bush is a has-been who flamed out in Detroit. Bush was ineffective for the most part, and he was even benched on numerous occasions because he made too many mental errors.

Kaepernick won't have much help from his receiving corps either. The hobbled Michael Crabtree is gone, and the 49ers signed Torrey Smith as a replacement. This may seem like a quality move on the surface, but there's enough history of wideouts leaving strong organizations for dysfunctional teams for any logical thinker to be pessimistic. Smith has never been a consistent player - he was second in the NFL in terms of drops last year - and pairing him with an up-and-down quarterback who lost his mentor doesn't seem like a good idea. Kaepernick will continue to lean on Anquan Boldin, but there's no telling how much longer Boldin, 35 in October, will be effective. The same can be said for aging tight end Vernon Davis, who had just 26 catches in 2014.

Getting back to the offensive line, the interior is very sketchy right now. Iupati's defection will push 2014 third-rounder Brandon Thomas into the starting lineup. It's unclear if Thomas will perform well because he has never played a snap on the professional level. Joe Looney is the other option, but he was dreadful in brief action last season. Thomas will start next to center Marcus Martin, who was chosen in the same exact frame in 2014. Martin started eight games as a rookie and was dreadful in every single one. Right guard Alex Boone is the only player saving the interior line from being a true abomination.

San Francisco was much better shape at the tackle position until early June when right tackle Anthony Davis retired for a "year or two." An inept blocker like Erik Pears may start in his place, though there's a chance sixth-round rookie Ian Silberman could win the job. On a positive note, Joe Staley is one of the best left tackles in the business, and at 31 (on Aug. 30), he should be highly productive for at least 2-3 more seasons. It's worth noting, however, that Staley is already questioning the new coaching staff's decision to move to a zone-blocking scheme, something he is not comfortable with.

2015 San Francisco 49ers Defense:

It's hard to say whether San Francisco's offense or defense is in worse shape. Both units have lost key personnel, after all. But while the departures of Jim Harbaugh, Frank Gore and Mike Iupati were expected, no one saw what was coming for the 49ers on the other side of the ball.

San Francisco lost a whopping six defensive starters this offseason, and all of them were extremely key pieces. The three that stick out are Patrick Willis, Chris Borland and Justin Smith because they all retired. Willis and Borland walking away was definitely unexpected. Willis turned 30 this offseason and had dealt with injuries that caused him to miss 10 games in 2014, but he still had 2-3 strong seasons left in the tank. Borland, meanwhile, was exceptional as a rookie, but decided to call it quits because he was afraid of the long-term effects of concussions despite the rapid advance of medical science. The only skilled inside linebacker left is NaVorro Bowman, who missed the entire 2014 campaign with a knee injury. Michael Wilhoite, who struggled last year, will have to start next to Bowman.

Smith, meanwhile, had hinted at retirement, so it wasn't a complete shock that he hung up the cleats. However, Smith was still dominant last season, so he'll definitely be missed, especially given that Ray McDonald is also gone. McDonald, who was arrested for his third domestic violence incident this spring, was an absolute force for the 49ers over the years. He might be a scumbag because of what he does off the field, but there's no denying that the 49ers will be much worse without him.

With Smith and McDonald both gone, the projected starters at defensive end will be Arik Armstead and Darnell Dockett. This is troublesome, given that Armstead was considered a project entering the 2015 NFL Draft, while Dockett hadn't played well for years in Arizona. The two will sandwich Glenn Dorsey, who was out all of 2014 with torn biceps. Dorsey is just a mediocre talent, but he might just be San Francisco's best defensive lineman.

The other two starters who departed were cornerbacks Perrish Cox and Chris Culliver. The duo was solid in 2014, so some combination of Tramaine Brock, Shareece Wright, Chris Cook and Donate Johnson will have to fill those shoes. Brock and Johnson are probably the best bets even though the latter didn't show much in his rookie campaign last year. Wright was an absolute embarrassment for San Diego this past season. Last year's first-rounder Jimmie Ward, meanwhile, will continue to be the slot corner, though he struggled in that role as a rookie.

The corners will have to get help from both the safety group and the pass-rushers. Eric Reid and Antoine Bethea will reprise their roles as starters at the former position, though second-round rookie Jaquiski Tartt will push Reid for playing time. Bethea was exceptional in 2014, but Reid happened to be very inconsistent in coverage.

As for the pass-rushers, there are numerous concerns. Can the extremely talented Aldon Smith stay out of trouble? Will Ahmad Brooks bounce back from a horrid 2014 campaign? Will Corey Lemonier ever develop? Can 2014 fifth-rounder Aaron Lynch prove that he can become an every-down player? There are all sorts of questions here, and the disconcerting thing for the 49ers is that the outside linebackers might just be the top unit on San Francisco's defense after the safety spot.

2015 San Francisco 49ers Analysis: It's hard to believe that the 49ers were in the NFC Championship about 18 months ago. Things change quickly in the NFL, and now San Francisco is one of the worst teams in the league. With Jim Harbaugh and a swarm of talented players all gone, the 49ers will be lucky to win five games in 2015.

Projection: 4-12 (TBA in NFC West)

This is so pathetic I don't even know where to start.

It's the same EXACT theme. It's like there is an outline that has been passed around to the national media and the writers are told to spin it as negative as possible, "...and now San Francisco is one of the worst teams in the league."

Outline:
Front Office Drama : Jim Harbaugh > Jim Tomsula "yes man" > Trent Baalke > Jed York
History: Kaepernick vs. Alex Smith
FA Losses/Retirements: Crabtree, Gore, Culliver, Cox + Smith, Borland & Davis
Only Players Drafted: Arik Armstead (raw and lazy) & Tartt (overdrafted)
Spin: Worst team in the NFCW and possibly, in the entire NFL

This should take you 15 minutes to write. Next writer...
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 23, 2015 at 9:47 AM ]

Originally posted by NinerGM:

It's the same EXACT theme. It's like there is an outline that has been passed around to the national media and the writers are told to spin it as negative as possible, "...and now San Francisco is one of the worst teams in the league."

Outline:
Front Office Drama : Jim Harbaugh > Jim Tomsula "yes man" > Trent Baalke > Jed York

Highlight, copy, paste, repeat - USA Today
Highlight, copy, paste, repeat - ESPN
Highlight, copy, paste, repeat - CNNSI/Sporting News
Highlight, copy, paste, repeat - NFL.com
Highlight, copy, paste, repeat - Grantland.com
Highlight, copy, paste, repeat - Bleacher Report
Highlight, copy, paste, repeat -

It's just SOOOOO true!

"I don't care about perception, I care about reality," Tomsula says in a husky voice that sounds like the natural bark of football coach. "I try not to read what's out there, but sometimes I do and just laugh. I mean, some of the reports out there couldn't be further from the truth. It's the exact opposite of the reality that I'm dealing with. The exact opposite! Seriously, the exact opposite!"

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/07/22/nfl-jim-tomsula-san-francisco-49ers/
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 23, 2015 at 10:02 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerGM:
It's just SOOOOO true!

"I don't care about perception, I care about reality," Tomsula says in a husky voice that sounds like the natural bark of football coach. "I try not to read what's out there, but sometimes I do and just laugh. I mean, some of the reports out there couldn't be further from the truth. It's the exact opposite of the reality that I'm dealing with. The exact opposite! Seriously, the exact opposite!"

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/07/22/nfl-jim-tomsula-san-francisco-49ers/

In response to Steve Young's "perception problem" - which was a luxury for Young who joined a team that already developed it's perception by the time he arrived. I think Walsh would respond to that by saying "nameless, faceless, opponents.

Haaaaa...so true! Ricky Watters...epic quote leading up to the Chargers ass-whooping IIRC.
[ Edited by NCommand on Jul 23, 2015 at 10:09 AM ]
  • MikeD
  • Veteran

Outline:

Yeah it would of been shorter if it just said the niners are nothing without Harbaugh but they put more wording around it to make it look like they put thought into it
Originally posted by MikeD:

Outline:

Yeah it would of been shorter if it just said the niners are nothing without Harbaugh but they put more wording around it to make it look like they put thought into it

So true...throw in a couple familiar names and you're golden! But don't worry, someone will just tweet what you said!
lets not get off topic! I say 10-6 get the wild card and blaze! and hopefully like the sf giants and warriors come away with the title!!!
Share 49ersWebzone