LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 147 users in the forums

Is the viking game a must win?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Not trying to be offensive here by any means,

But I just think that if Reggie is the hot RB now and helps us get the Ws, then I'm all for using him as much as possible regardless if it's the 1st half of the season or not..

It would be a waste to see the guy be healthy for one whole year with a great season but us finishing 7 & 9.. that just mean that we helped him out to UP his free agent salary demand for the 2016 season..
I think week one is a must win because if we can't beat the Vikings at home, then we probably won't win the next three games against tougher opponents, two of which are on the road.
For cryin' out loud! How can the first game of the season be a 'must-win.' This is ridiculous.
Originally posted by crake49:
For cryin' out loud! How can the first game of the season be a 'must-win.' This is ridiculous.

Yes as I admitted so. Obviously must win is hyperbole but I feel like the vikings game this year is more important then most 1st games of seasons past. Am I wrong?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by natrone06:

Yes as I admitted so. Obviously must win is hyperbole but I feel like the vikings game this year is more important then most 1st games of seasons past. Am I wrong?

it is a marathon and not a sprint. I said this earlier,, I only bring up the first game under the erickson era,, blow out of the bears,, we were all full of ourselves and then we found out we were not capable of winning game or being competitive on the road and well you saw what took place then.
Originally posted by cciowa:

it is a marathon and not a sprint. I said this earlier,, I only bring up the first game under the erickson era,, blow out of the bears,, we were all full of ourselves and then we found out we were not capable of winning game or being competitive on the road and well you saw what took place then.
NFL is a sprint..before you know it..its December

Baseball is a marathon

Yeah 1st game last year was misleading as well. I still think looking at the early scedule and the complete turnover of the team this 1st game holds more significance then most.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Baseball is a marathon

If we need to use running as the metaphor, I'd call it an 880 or a 440 - not a sprint, but they're going fast for a while. Still, I just don't see how the first game in a 16 game season is a 'must-win.' The first half of the season will be tough. If they can get through it with any kind of positive record, they'll be looking real good.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Baseball is a marathon
you are right. i guess getting ready for the season is a marathon and not a sprint. where our team is at in april is not as important as where it is at in september. i stand corrected
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb
Originally posted by SoCold:
25% of teams that start 0-1 make the playoffs.

this has nothing to do with anything ( imagine that coming from me) but living in iowa I think there is not a worst combination than a iowa hawkeye/viking fan. so arrogant and they really have nothing to be arrogant about. even the packers and chiefs fans in iowa are decent people

it means that over the years only 25% of teams that start 0-1 make the playoffs. Which means if you want a better chance at making the playoffs win the first game.

lol
[ Edited by SoCold on Jun 30, 2015 at 10:57 AM ]

you are right. i guess getting ready for the season is a marathon and not a sprint. where our team is at in april is not as important as where it is at in september. i stand corrected
its doesnt help being in the best division in the NFL
Is It a must win in the grand scheme of an NFL season? Absolutely not.

Is It a must win to avoid a complete meltdown on the zone? Absolutely yes. If we lose, the chicken Littles will be out in full force claiming the season is already over, tear down the team and get any picks possible by trading away talent, fire tomsula.

For the sake of sanity, and to get the season off on the right foot I hope the Niners win in impressive fashion.
Not a must win because it is week 1, but its close enough to it. Our first half of the season is rough. We need to go atleast .500 to have a chance at the play offs (I think .500 in the first half is very possible).

I think the Vikings game will be tough, their offense is looking pretty darn good and a defense led by zimmer wont be easy(I say we squeak this one out though) . The steelers game is winnable(old defense with some retirees on it, plus bell will be serving a suspension I think itll be a win). Arizona is a division game so you know the team will be up for a battle but I think we will lose this one. Greenbay has struggled with us, but they are very talented, I say its closer then people think but we lose, @ NY we win this one, our passrush devours Eli and that offense never gets going. Baltimore at home, they are a tough team not a ton of offensive fire power but they have the better harbaugh at head coach(L). Seattle at home, Now most of you dont dare say we ever beat seattle(even though last season was the firsst time theyve beaten us at home in awhile, I say our front seven punks them they we win this game 14-3. Saint Louis, this one is a toss up, they always play us ridiculously tough, one players who sucks donkey nuts always has a good game against us, I say we lose this game.

Vikings - W
@Steelers - W
@Arizonia - L
Greenbay - L(This is about the time the suicide posters start ranting about how every body should be fired and we should light the front office on fire)
@NY - W
Baltimore - L
Seattle - W
@Saint Louis - L

But who really knows anyways
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dsoto87:
Is It a must win in the grand scheme of an NFL season? Absolutely not.

Is It a must win to avoid a complete meltdown on the zone? Absolutely yes. If we lose, the chicken Littles will be out in full force claiming the season is already over, tear down the team and get any picks possible by trading away talent, fire tomsula.

For the sake of sanity, and to get the season off on the right foot I hope the Niners win in impressive fashion.

You think anything short is a SB decided by a 30 pt margin will avoid the aforementioned from happening?????

Hell, Kaep could pass for 3500 and run for 600+ and half the Kaep thread will still call for his head citing A. Smiths one complete season....
  • SoCold
  • Hall of Dumb

I think every game is important. Not really a "must win" but it puts a lot more pressure on a team that starts out 0-1 then 1-0

did you know that 0-2 teams only make the playoffs 13.75% of the time since 1990

and just for fun

Only three teams have started 0-3 and made the playoffs

Only one team has started 0-4 and done it

No team in nfl history has started 0-5 and made the playoffs
[ Edited by SoCold on Jun 30, 2015 at 12:24 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone