LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart On Day Two Of The Draft →

There are 194 users in the forums

What Is Going On?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What Is Going On?

We lead the league in retirement announcements. Why?

Speculation from Gerald McCoy:

Investigation has to be coming for 49ers!! No way that many people from the same team retire coincidentally. What is going on in San Fran?

What the heck is going on with us?
It's just random. Everyone needs to quit freaking out.
I think just some bad luck mostly. Guys are still showing up and playing for the Jaguars and Raiders after all. I think the issue is that this team has had a lot of games over the past few years, some deep playoff runs and a lot of guys got beat up pretty good. Willis I think was a goner no matter what due to his toe, Justin Smith had similar injury issues.

Davis and Borland are confusing but maybe they both just had enough. Davis hasn't been the same since 2011, maybe injuries were wearing on him, especially after last season.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Jun 5, 2015 at 2:59 PM ]
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
where's the "lol another brodiebluebanaszak poll" choice
i think its a combo of 2 things...1) players are more aware of the long term health concerns and more apt to walk away earlier and 2) the trend of the team plays into a bit. if this were 2012 or 2013 i dont think the guys would have walked away knowing the team was so close to a super bowl. now its not as close and they know that and are weighing their options

Pretty much how I feel!
Shouldn't this be happening to other teams as well?
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Shouldn't this be happening to other teams as well?

We lead the league in retirement announcements. Why?

Speculation from Gerald McCoy:

Investigation has to be coming for 49ers!! No way that many people from the same team retire coincidentally. What is going on in San Fran?

What the heck is going on with us?

Automatically lost any creditability, if he even had any to begin with.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
something that really is out of the management's hands..

can't blame anyone.. never saw it coming..

but, it does make this season more exciting in my opinion...

as Eric Wright once yelled at his struggling teammates going into a playoff (revenge) game against the Vikings...

" ALLLLL THE STARSSSSS SURVIVEEEEEEEEEEEEE FELLASSSSS, THISSSS ISSS ITTTT!!!! "

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Just drafting players that dont love the game and just want enough money and then quit.

#FIREBAALKE
I think they've been overworked by the previous coaching staff. There's working hard, and working smart. Walsh understood how to balance these two, so his teams were healthy. It's no coincidence to me that the team has been exponentially more injury prone in recent years.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
I hear you on the players know the longbterm effects thing..but we've lost 3 starters. I dont see this happening where starters are retiring en masse from other teams. Im sure theres been a couple but we've had 3 surprise retirements...on one team. Kinda crazy..
Louis Riddick ‏@LRiddickESPN 9m9 minutes ago

Despite all the change for #49ers, I can tell u that in the building, they are much more optimistic. Maybe THE most fascinating team for'15.

RETWEETS17FAVORITES18
3:09 PM - 5 Jun 2015 · Details
Louis Riddick ‏@LRiddickESPN 9m9 minutes ago

Despite all the change for #49ers, I can tell u that in the building, they are much more optimistic. Maybe THE most fascinating team for'15.

RETWEETS17FAVORITES18
3:09 PM - 5 Jun 2015 · Details
Share 49ersWebzone