LISTEN: 49ers Play It Smart on Day Two of the Draft →

There are 373 users in the forums

Nickel LB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I would like to see the 49ers use Nick Moody as a nickel LB. He is a former defensive back and probably has more coverage ability than most of the LB's on the roster (other than Bowman if fully healthy). Willis is gone and Wilhoite is not a good cover LB. Worth a try?
I am interested to see if he improves this year. He has a lot of speed, but I remember him getting plowed a few times last year.
Yeah, I hope his time off was also used to study D assignments.
I think Wheeler would make a better nickel LB, especially in our defense.
He played OLB at Miami and has the coverage speed necessary in such a role.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Hey, I'm very all for Moody getting in the field... he was raw when he came out of the FSU, but you can tell that he has a great instinct...

Moody is the reason why I'm against signing Briggs... he would just be like Takeo Spikes, a good veteran that is holding down the future...
From everything I've seen from Moody he still can't fight off blocks, and still isn't a sure and consistent tackler. The later particularly doesn't play well in the 9ers defense.

I have him projected as the first ILB off the bench next year (although I don't feel good about it), but I don't see him consistently subbing in for Wilhoite or Bowman on nickle downs. I think it's much more likely him than Tartt (which is kinda a pipe dream, IMO), but I don't think either of them are in this role.
Moody makes a lot of mental mistakes and puts himself out of place. Unless that changes, I just don't see it.
I'd like to see us use different players based upon our competition ( best man for the job). For instance I don't see Corey Lemonier making it as a base olb but I like his intangibles as far as manning up against a Jimmy Graham or Gronk in coverage better than anybody else on the roster. I also like the thought of blitzing our Eli Harold from different spots in our nickel package; his speed off the edge combined with Aldons flexibility and Lynchs power will require teams to keep extra blockers.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
wheeler is going to be a good player for us i feel. in terms of moody, this is his chance , his best chance and maybe his last chance with us
  • thl408
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
I'd like to see us use different players based upon our competition ( best man for the job). For instance I don't see Corey Lemonier making it as a base olb but I like his intangibles as far as manning up against a Jimmy Graham or Gronk in coverage better than anybody else on the roster. I also like the thought of blitzing our Eli Harold from different spots in our nickel package; his speed off the edge combined with Aldons flexibility and Lynchs power will require teams to keep extra blockers.

What is it about Lemon that makes you like him manning up against a premier TE? He never dropped back in college and dropping back in coverage was one of the skills he had to learn when transitioning to a 3-4 OLB.

• cools
  • Veteran
As noted above, I get the feeling Wheeler wins that spot, rotates in for Wlhoite, Bellore gets the 4th ILB spot as special teams leader.
Swan song for Moody and Bishop, Skov to PS
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
wheeler is going to be a good player for us i feel. in terms of moody, this is his chance , his best chance and maybe his last chance with us

Last chance??

you mean last chance to start as a LB??

Because the guy is a great Special Team Player, and that Baalke hand picked him as a special team player, I think he will stick around for a while..

... and whatabout SKOV...???

.. is he not still with the team, I thought he has a future on the INSIDE..
[ Edited by 9moon on May 13, 2015 at 10:36 AM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
What is it about Lemon that makes you like him manning up against a premier TE? He never dropped back in college and dropping back in coverage was one of the skills he had to learn when transitioning to a 3-4 OLB.

I saw him do it a couple times last preseason, and he has the length to contest jump balls although I do think Gronk would out physical him.
Originally posted by daragon:
Moody makes a lot of mental mistakes and puts himself out of place. Unless that changes, I just don't see it.

I remember Fangio saying the same thing about Borland. Hopefully Moody shows improvement this year
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
Last chance??

you mean last chance to start as a LB??

Because the guy is a great Special Team Player, and that Baalke hand picked him as a special team player, I think he will stick around for a while..

... and whatabout SKOV...???

.. is he not still with the team, I thought he has a future on the INSIDE..
i think it is his last chance with us. i think wheeler will beat him out for playing time. i think our rookies we got can more than play special teams thus making people like dahl and moody expendable. please do not misunderstand me,. i do not want him to fail,, i hope he does well. but my point is,, with borland and willis gone,, the guy has never had a better chance to win a spot and be a player with us than he has right now. i like wheeler very much and even though 30 years old is not old,, if moody gets beat out by him and others, that is not good news for him. also if they do bring in someone like briggs, to me, that is another sign that moody may not be up to task. lotta maybes there so just have to see how it all shakes out
Share 49ersWebzone