There are 189 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Agree. The OL finally came around...too bad it was after we lost our $137 mil FR QB...shucks, huh kyle and john?
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Agree. The OL finally came around...too bad it was after we lost our $137 mil FR QB...shucks, huh kyle and john?

Except his injury had little to do with the OL, if at all. No?

Not to worry by the time Jimmy gets back next year he will actually have more time to throw and a very good line protecting him. I think our pass protection is being overrated but I will still take any improvement we can get.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by elguapo:

Not to worry by the time Jimmy gets back next year he will actually have more time to throw and a very good line protecting him. I think our pass protection is being overrated but I will still take any improvement we can get.

I agree with this too. When you have a 21 personnel grouping and keeping backs and TEs in to block, that says to me your OL might not be as strong with pass-pro as you might think. My evidence is anecdotal but still something to consider.

Agreed. It's certainly the weakest part of the OL...missed assignments with free runners and lots of times, lots of extra help staying in esp. Juice and Kittle.

But they've improved the past two weeks IMHO and the more they do, the more confidence Kyle will have in getting Juice, Kittle and the RB's out in routes as extra receiving options for BeatHard.

But overall, I'm very happy at the trajectory of the OL as it stands today.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
I'm so happy I could
and I'm happy to see you (and others) have moved on from your major concerns about dumping Trent Brown and your unfulfilled yearnings for Sitton, Norwell, or some other flavor of the week FA 0-lineman to come in and solve all the 0-line problems. KS had a different plan and it seems to be working.

But beware: there is a major test looming this week.

I keep thinking about the first Rams game last season--Tomlinson's first game as a 9er--when he stonewalled Aaron Donald the entire game til the end, when Donald moved to the other side and promptly beat Fusco for a sack that ended the game. There's hope this season despite the challenge. imho

Certainly. We still need a top-notch LT so once we get that, the Brown topic can die (he was ours). I'd still take Norwell in a heartbeat but overall, I'm really proud of the individual and unit growth. We still need legit depth but these same 5 have been getting better and better.

True...great test this w/e. Conversely, the Rams OL is legit as is their running game. This is one running unit that actually can beat our 1,200 pounds of beef up front.

You keep saying top notch LT....like MM is strictly a RT. Still seems as though you are putting more value on Brown and trying to pigeonhole MM as a RT, by placing lesser value on the RT position. Or at least it seems that way.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Good to see the OL coming together as the season goes on.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
I'm so happy I could
and I'm happy to see you (and others) have moved on from your major concerns about dumping Trent Brown and your unfulfilled yearnings for Sitton, Norwell, or some other flavor of the week FA 0-lineman to come in and solve all the 0-line problems. KS had a different plan and it seems to be working.

I keep thinking about the first Rams game last season--Tomlinson's first game as a 9er--when he stonewalled Aaron Donald the entire game til the end, when Donald moved to the other side and promptly beat Fusco for a sack that ended the game. There's hope this season despite the challenge. imho

Certainly. We still need a top-notch LT so once we get that, the Brown topic can die (he was ours). I'd still take Norwell in a heartbeat but overall, I'm really proud of the individual and unit growth. We still need legit depth but these same 5 have been getting better and better.

True...great test this w/e. Conversely, the Rams OL is legit as is their running game. This is one running unit that actually can beat our 1,200 pounds of beef up front.

You keep saying top notch LT....like MM is strictly a RT. Still seems as though you are putting more value on Brown and trying to pigeonhole MM as a RT, by placing lesser value on the RT position. Or at least it seems that way.

Haha...OK, if you want to move him to LT, then we need a top notch RT.
I'm so happy I could

Haha...OK, if you want to move him to LT, then we need a top notch RT.

Perfect. RTs are much easier to come by

LOL...not these days. Quality T's are very hard to find and are coming into the league very raw esp. in run blocking and pass protection within a pro style offense (d/t all the spread offenses).

There's very little difference between the two T positions now as defenses move their best edge rushers from side to side, hence why many fans are leery of moving him at all.
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 20, 2018 at 9:21 AM ]
Lol, I was about to say "not these days" as well. Colleges are doing a poor job of getting these kids prepared for the NFL. Have you guys watched Kolton Miller play for the Raiders? He was taken six spots after McGlinchey but has played like he should've gone six rounds later.
[ Edited by Heroism on Oct 20, 2018 at 8:54 AM ]

Originally posted by Heroism:
Lol, I was about to say "not these days" as well. Colleges are doing a poor job of getting these kids prepared for the NFL. Have you guys watched Kolton Miller play for the Raiders? He was taken six spots after McGlinchey but has played like he should've gone six rounds later.

He's had some good games, he's also been dealing with a leg injury but it was clear before the draft that he wasn't game ready and shouldn't have been starting as a rookie. Teams fell in love with his size and athleticism but I said before the draft that throwing him out there as a rookie could actually hurt him since he had so much development to do in terms of his pass blocking.
I agree with this too. When you have a 21 personnel grouping and keeping backs and TEs in to block, that says to me your OL might not be as strong with pass-pro as you might think. My evidence is anecdotal but still something to consider.

21 personnel is the 2nd most frequent offensive personnel grouping for the 49ers in 2017 and 2018. When Kyle was in Atlanta, 21 personnel was the 2nd most frequent offensive personal grouping. When Kyle was in Cleveland, 21 personnel was the 2nd most frequent offensive personnel grouping. When Kyle was in Washington, 21 per--------okay I think you get it.

The top 3 personnel groupings for Kyle last year were 11 personnel(47% of the time), 21 personnel(Led the NFL at 31% of the time) and 12 personnel(15% of the time).

If you look at overall offensive groupings, the 49ers and Patriots were the most similar in terms of how they ran their respective offenses.

LOL...not these days. Quality T's are very hard to find and are coming into the league very raw esp. in run blocking and passing within a pro style offense (d/t all the spread offenses).

There's very little difference between the two T positions now as defenses move their best edge rushers from side to side, hence why many fans are leery of moving him at all.

Disagree. Take a guy like Coleman. Got him for peanuts and he could eventually hold down the RT spot after starting at RT for CLE, but you sure as hell are not going to put him at LT. I still think it's easier to find RTs
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

21 personnel is the 2nd most frequent offensive personnel grouping for the 49ers in 2017 and 2018. When Kyle was in Atlanta, 21 personnel was the 2nd most frequent offensive personal grouping. When Kyle was in Cleveland, 21 personnel was the 2nd most frequent offensive personnel grouping. When Kyle was in Washington, 21 per--------okay I think you get it.

The top 3 personnel groupings for Kyle last year were 11 personnel(47% of the time), 21 personnel(Led the NFL at 31% of the time) and 12 personnel(15% of the time).

If you look at overall offensive groupings, the 49ers and Patriots were the most similar in terms of how they ran their respective offenses.

Yeah, and IIRC yesterday on a podcast, I believe I heard we're creeping close to 40% for 21 and ran nearly 70% last game?

Anyhow, I think NinerGM was referring more to those TE's and FB/RB staying in to help more with PP.

I wonder if there is a breakdown of that. I know last year the Raiders pretty much only needed to keep their 5 OL in for PP and didn't need (or use) extra PP help from the backs or TE's.
[ Edited by NCommand on Oct 20, 2018 at 9:47 AM ]

LOL...not these days. Quality T's are very hard to find and are coming into the league very raw esp. in run blocking and passing within a pro style offense (d/t all the spread offenses).

Disagree. Take a guy like Coleman. Got him for peanuts and he could eventually hold down the RT spot after starting at RT for CLE, but you sure as hell are not going to put him at LT. I still think it's easier to find RTs

You must be old school. Ha.

Sure, there are always examples to the contrary. Any RT's you're looking at? That was my original point...we still need a T.
Share 49ersWebzone