LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Chris Foerster & Eric Wolford are ZBS experts. It's their forte.' That said, it still has not been made "official" although just about everyone believes we'll go this route.

I agree...scheme alone screwed the OL last year...lack of motivation...poor coaching, etc. In fact, I'm just going to pretend last year never happened. With this new coaching staff, they are starting anew first, reviewing each players strengths and weakness, then building up their philosophy and playbook. If this is a quality coaching staff, we're going to see a new scheme, ALL personnel in position battles and may the best 5 win.

I can dig. Hyde and Hunter are good cut back runners.

Yeah, if the OL can be effective, no DOUBT Hyde, Hunter, Bush and even CK will take full advantage of any openings for sure! I can't wait!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
i think hunter is good at blitz pickups
i think hyde needs work on that
not sure how bush is there
am i wrong or right about hunter and hyde posters who are smarter than me? that is related to the o line thread,, sort of
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
am i wrong or right about hunter and hyde posters who are smarter than me? that is related to the o line thread,, sort of

You know what's really sad? Last year, our RBs had to be effective at blitz pickups and cutting down DTs coming up the middle. I think Gore got a High Low flag doing this a couple of times.

What does the oline need to do to get better? Not much... Unfortunately
Foerster's a very good OL coach...you don't coach for 33 yrs (23 in the NFL) if you're not good at what you do. In Chryst's interview, he wants to keep things simple, so whatever kind of blocking scheme Foerster installs, he'll inherit an OL that we all know is itching to redeem itself after a subpar 2014 season. I see a Staley - Thomas - Kilgore - Boone - AD lineup. Too much was made of Iupati leaving by many in the media...I feel Thomas will make fans forget all about Big Mike. He was Clemson's starting LT...so was that team's elite OL. He knows how to pass protect, something Iupati really struggled with. That's a big plus. Kilgore should reclaim his starting C job...he was probably our most consistent OL before he got hurt. Boone and AD will be fine on the right side. Pears should be a solid b/u...and a guy who can play outside or inside. Marcus Martin should make big strides in his 2nd season. Looney's still in the mix, too. That's a pretty darn good group when they're healthy. I'd imagine Baalke will draft an OL, and sign some UDFA's, depending on how things go. This group should rebound and reestablish themselves as one of the better OL's in the league. I'm excited about this year's offense...it won't be the same old predictable stuff Roman was famous for. Better weapons, strong OL, considerably more speed, a better prepared Kap and an OC in Chryst who'll open things up. What's not to be excited about?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Geeked:
Originally posted by cciowa:

You know what's really sad? Last year, our RBs had to be effective at blitz pickups and cutting down DTs coming up the middle. I think Gore got a High Low flag doing this a couple of times.

What does the oline need to do to get better? Not much... Unfortunately
sadly,, you are right
So it's looking like the general consensus is, implement a new scheme and the O-Line should be alright without having to spend a high draft pick.
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:
What about from a personnel stand point?

Do you think we should draft some offensive lineman early, thats better suited for the zone blocking scheme, Or will the players that we have suffice?

Its easy to figure out what thier doing.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Foerster's a very good OL coach...you don't coach for 33 yrs (23 in the NFL) if you're not good at what you do. In Chryst's interview, he wants to keep things simple, so whatever kind of blocking scheme Foerster installs, he'll inherit an OL that we all know is itching to redeem itself after a subpar 2014 season. I see a Staley - Thomas - Kilgore - Boone - AD lineup. Too much was made of Iupati leaving by many in the media...I feel Thomas will make fans forget all about Big Mike. He was Clemson's starting LT...so was that team's elite OL. He knows how to pass protect, something Iupati really struggled with. That's a big plus. Kilgore should reclaim his starting C job...he was probably our most consistent OL before he got hurt. Boone and AD will be fine on the right side. Pears should be a solid b/u...and a guy who can play outside or inside. Marcus Martin should make big strides in his 2nd season. Looney's still in the mix, too. That's a pretty darn good group when they're healthy. I'd imagine Baalke will draft an OL, and sign some UDFA's, depending on how things go. This group should rebound and reestablish themselves as one of the better OL's in the league. I'm excited about this year's offense...it won't be the same old predictable stuff Roman was famous for. Better weapons, strong OL, considerably more speed, a better prepared Kap and an OC in Chryst who'll open things up. What's not to be excited about?
I agree with all of this. I am excited as well. Even the addition of Torrey IMO should help. We have never had that other wr. Torrey and Boldin and VD. Every team in the league knows who they are. I think at first teams will still stack the box to make Geep and Kap prove they can hit design plays to hit these wr's. But man do I hope Kap can find Torrey like he does Boldin.

The Oline if healthy will bounce back. I just worry a little about injuries to Kilgore or Thomas. I know Marcus can back them up. For whatever reason I question Kilgore. I know he played well last year but something just makes me worry about how he will hold up for a whole season or keeping up with the other big boys.
I do hope we draft Oline depth.
It starts with Chris Foerster & Eric Wolford. These two are best known for their zone blocking schemes (which we're anticipating will be installed here). So with our personnel, these fatties from the power run scheme (buh-bye Iupati) are going to have to slim down, get in shape, do some cardio, be able to move quickly from 3-4-point stance, rise quickly, block on the move in a zone, drop down and block at the next level, etc. Technique will be critical. As to personnel, I have a feeling we'll see some changes in the lineup (blocking in a ZBS includes the TE's as well):

H-Back: Derek Carrier
TE: Vernon Davis; Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek, Asante Cleveland & Xavier Grimble
FB: Bruce Miller; Trey Millard
LOT: Joe Staley; Erik Pears
ROT: Anthony Davis; Chris Martin & Fou Fonoti
LG: Brandon Thomas/Marcus Martin; & Andrew Tiller
RG: Alex Boone; Joe Looney
C: Daniel Kilgore/Marcus Martin; Dillon Farrell

WRATH is one of our resident OL experts and he's had some great thoughts on ideal personnel and why they would fit best.

I hope they big in OG in the draft, but not first round
So it's looking like the general consensus is, implement a new scheme and the O-Line should be alright without having to spend a high draft pick.
What's a high draft pick? I'm hoping for Oline in the first 3 rounds. I know most don't agree but we saw how bad the Oline depth is with injuries. If it starts to happen again this year, the season will be lost. Kap can't get sacked again 52 times.

The starters in Staley, Thomas? Kilgore? Boone and Davis should be solid. After that I don't know how much I trust Looney and Pears and even Martin. Don't know where they are grooming him... as Kilgore's replacement or Boone's? We will see but if we wait too long to draft Oline, I'm afraid we will get more Looney type guys.

• LVJay
  • Veteran
All of the above...

if I may add, the fact that JT isn't going to let the OC eat sandwiches, pizza, Twinkies and stuff his face with snacks in the booth during games is a plus. I don't think Chryst's diet is all ****ed up to the point where he falls asleep during plays... will benefit the oline / offense big time
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
What's a high draft pick? I'm hoping for Oline in the first 3 rounds. I know most don't agree but we saw how bad the Oline depth is with injuries. If it starts to happen again this year, the season will be lost. Kap can't get sacked again 52 times.

The starters in Staley, Thomas? Kilgore? Boone and Davis should be solid. After that I don't know how much I trust Looney and Pears and even Martin. Don't know where they are grooming him... as Kilgore's replacement or Boone's? We will see but if we wait too long to draft Oline, I'm afraid we will get more Looney type guys.
To me, a high pick is round one and two. Middle pick is three, four and five. And a low pick is six and seven. But honestly, Id be ok with grabbing an offensive lineman in the First, if he was a sure thing. Im pretty confident in saying that Kaepernick would "light it up" if our O-Line was top 10 in pass protection.
Originally posted by Constantine:
It starts with Chris Foerster & Eric Wolford. These two are best known for their zone blocking schemes (which we're anticipating will be installed here). So with our personnel, these fatties from the power run scheme (buh-bye Iupati) are going to have to slim down, get in shape, do some cardio, be able to move quickly from 3-4-point stance, rise quickly, block on the move in a zone, drop down and block at the next level, etc. Technique will be critical. As to personnel, I have a feeling we'll see some changes in the lineup (blocking in a ZBS includes the TE's as well):

H-Back: Derek Carrier
TE: Vernon Davis; Vance McDonald, Garrett Celek, Asante Cleveland & Xavier Grimble
FB: Bruce Miller; Trey Millard
LOT: Joe Staley; Erik Pears
ROT: Anthony Davis; Chris Martin & Fou Fonoti
LG: Brandon Thomas/Marcus Martin; & Andrew Tiller
RG: Alex Boone; Joe Looney
C: Daniel Kilgore/Marcus Martin; Dillon Farrell

WRATH is one of our resident OL experts and he's had some great thoughts on ideal personnel and why they would fit best.

I hope they big in OG in the draft, but not first round

I actually think we're pretty well set at the interior line positions. I question Boone's foot speed and lateral agility, and he REALLY struggles to maintain his pad level when he has to move laterally, as is required during a zone run. I think he's ideal in the swing tackle role, at least for the year (I think he gets paid by someone else in 2016). I think Kilgore, Thomas, MMartin are our best bets at the interior line positions, and I'd actually put Thomas at RG to help Davis in pass pro, and to take the majority of the snaps agains a 3-tech. I will be surprised if this happens, though, since Boone is making A LOT more money than MMartin or Thomas. If Boone really does get benched, he could be a decent backup for both G and T positions, but a mid-round backup interior lineman wouldn't be a terrible idea.
To me, a high pick is round one and two. Middle pick is three, four and five. And a low pick is six and seven. But honestly, Id be ok with grabbing an offensive lineman in the First, if he was a sure thing. Im pretty confident in saying that Kaepernick would "light it up" if our O-Line was top 10 in pass protection.

Agree 100%. To me the offensive line awfulness last year was THE MAIN reason the offense failed miserably. Now granted Kap did take a step back but a lot of times he had to run for his life and took so much abuse. Boone was awful, Looney is not the answer, Martin is young and AD couldn't stay healthy, Staley had an off year. I would take Sherff at 15 if he was there, if not then trade down a couple times and hopefully Brandon Thomas works out at LG.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:

Agree 100%. To me the offensive line awfulness last year was THE MAIN reason the offense failed miserably. Now granted Kap did take a step back but a lot of times he had to run for his life and took so much abuse. Boone was awful, Looney is not the answer, Martin is young and AD couldn't stay healthy, Staley had an off year. I would take Sherff at 15 if he was there, if not then trade down a couple times and hopefully Brandon Thomas works out at LG.

Not a bad approach and very Baalke-like.
Share 49ersWebzone