There are 215 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Trent-Brown-Poised-to-Compete-for-49ers-Vacant-Right-Tackle-Job/d4f45642-8272-47dd-a65d-3478281696e7

Trent is going to have to grow up quickly.
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Trent-Brown-Poised-to-Compete-for-49ers-Vacant-Right-Tackle-Job/d4f45642-8272-47dd-a65d-3478281696e7

Trent is going to have to grow up quickly.

He can do it. He's a big boy.
It's soooooo ridiculously early. I can understand if this was a LT we were trying to replace, but there will be cuts even before TC is done.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
It's soooooo ridiculously early. I can understand if this was a LT we were trying to replace, but there will be cuts even before TC is done.

The players retiring are forcing our hand, we have no choice? Protect KAP at all costs. Someone has to step up. What other choice do we have at this point. Can't afford to let these rookies sit and learn.

The players retiring are forcing our hand, we have no choice? Protect KAP at all costs. Someone has to step up. What other choice do we have at this point. Can't afford to let these rookies sit and learn.

Do you honestly think Baalke and Gamble are going to let this go unanswered? Do people really believe this? It's so much easier to replace a RT vs a LT. If this were Staley I'd honestly be concerned.
Good DLs are going to give us trouble.

Which is like every team in the NFC West
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Jun 5, 2015 at 8:39 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Good DLs are going to give us trouble.

Good DLs were giving us trouble last year when Harbaugh's project was starting for an injured Davis and we were still in every game - even against the Seahawks.

Do you honestly think Baalke and Gamble are going to let this go unanswered? Do people really believe this? It's so much easier to replace a RT vs a LT. If this were Staley I'd honestly be concerned.

Our offensive line was horrible last year. There are a bunch of question marks instead of answers for KAP.

Our offensive line was horrible last year. There are a bunch of question marks instead of answers for KAP.

Our OL was not horrible last year - good god what dramatics. It wasn't as good as it had been previously because of INJURIES, but it wasn't horrible. Still good enough to keep us in games. If you think the only reason the offense wasn't productive was 100% due to ..... never mind. How many times can this be said? LOL

With Davis retiring, really I'm not all that concerned. With all the injuries he had the past two seasons, did anyone seriously expect any guarantees that he wouldn't get hurt again or might have lingering issues? He had MULTIPLE injuries he was battling and when that happens, there's cause for concern going forward. There was no guarantee Davis wouldn't have been out again, which would have screwed up the OL chemistry.

I'm glad this happened soon enough for us to get other guys more reps and eventually give the better players a chance to gel together. As I mentioned in another thread, we have a massive amount of interior depth, to go along with better-than-advertised OT depth as well. Just think about it. On the inside, we've got Thomas, Martin, Kilgore, Farrell, Pears, Looney, and Silberman competing. Well, and PS player Tiller. At OT, behind Boone we have Pears and Trenton Brown along with other developing guys or rookies in Chris Martin, Justin Renfrow, and Patrick Miller.

If everyone's healthy, I'm expecting a new starting group of Staley-Thomas-Kilgore-Martin-Boone. Although those inner three are anyone's guess right now.
Erik Pears is a good bet to start now, either at RG or RT. Depends if we keep Boone at RG, or slide him over. Brown is a wild-card.

Pears didn't have a good season last year in Buffalo. He was a bad fit for Doug Marrone's power-blocking scheme.

Good news is we're switching to zone-blocking, and he was much better playing in zone when Chan Gailey was there. Before that he played zone with the Raiders and Broncos.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
NO1SCURRED
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
With Davis retiring, really I'm not all that concerned. With all the injuries he had the past two seasons, did anyone seriously expect any guarantees that he wouldn't get hurt again or might have lingering issues? He had MULTIPLE injuries he was battling and when that happens, there's cause for concern going forward. There was no guarantee Davis wouldn't have been out again, which would have screwed up the OL chemistry.

I'm glad this happened soon enough for us to get other guys more reps and eventually give the better players a chance to gel together. As I mentioned in another thread, we have a massive amount of interior depth, to go along with better-than-advertised OT depth as well. Just think about it. On the inside, we've got Thomas, Martin, Kilgore, Farrell, Pears, Looney, and Silberman competing. Well, and PS player Tiller. At OT, behind Boone we have Pears and Trenton Brown along with other developing guys or rookies in Chris Martin, Justin Renfrow, and Patrick Miller.

If everyone's healthy, I'm expecting a new starting group of Staley-Thomas-Kilgore-Martin-Boone. Although those inner three are anyone's guess right now.

Agree with your potential starting lineup. In the short run Boone is the logical RT and Martin is good enough to start. Thomas is a big question and interesting to watch. But by the middle of the year this lineup could be much better than last year if the OC can call a decent game. So much line success depends on putting the defense back on its heals with confusing play call sequences. I see it as very similar to judo...use the defenders strengths against them!
LT: Joe Staley
LG: Brandon Thomas
C: Daniel Kilgore
RG: Marcus Martin
RT: Alex Boone
Share 49erswebzone