There are 143 users in the forums

49ers Offensive Line

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Fanaticofnfl:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Big time respect for trying. If TW was onn this OL last year, we win #6.

Was Staley the reason we lost the Super Bowl? I thought it was Jimmy and Kyle and Sherman and basically every player that's in this team's long-term plans

No, pass protection was. Adding Williams to a line with Staley, McGlinchey and Richburg was more than enough talent to win a Superbowl.

Who would have Trent Williams replaced?

Who would have Trent Williams replaced? Staley.! I doubt we trade him to play RT.
Originally posted by TD49ers:

Staley. He broke a leg early in the year ...Bengals game I think. We were looking at Skule.

Don't know that having TW would've won us #6. By the SB, Staley was already back to form.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Apr 26, 2020 at 3:14 PM ]

RT. Mike McGlinchey would have had all off season to train at RG. Also, TW might have been willing to play LG next to Staley too. Who knows if he'd be down for that but if it meant a run at a Superbowl, I doubt he'd care and Kyle wouldn't have brought him in if he was a me-type of player. That's not the 49er way.

No matter what anybody says, AP, Matt M, whoever, this deal had to have been done BEFORE draft ever started. Just way ,way too much risk here if we were left hanging out in the wind knowing Joe was hanging 'em up. ...and they knew. So until proven otherwise (Kyle or JL). I respectfully refuse to believe this deal was agreed to long before the first pick was announced. Maybe it wasn't signed, or maybe there was no Physical Exam, but this deal was already baked in the over prior to draft. They flat out couldn't have risked leaving the OL wiht no LT.(Stud, i mean) and TW is a STUD.
Andy Reid must be stuck in the 70s too. Starting a 5th 6th and 7th rounder on the interior.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Andy Reid must be stuck in the 70s too. Starting a 5th 6th and 7th rounder on the interior.

Mobile QB.
Jimmy had open guys and didn't make the throws. If he does the 9ers would've won #6. Cosell broke it down very well after the draft.

I have confidence Jimmy will improve and Brunskill has the upside to solidify RG.
RT. Mike McGlinchey would have had all off season to train at RG. Also, TW might have been willing to play LG next to Staley too. Who knows if he'd be down for that but if it meant a run at a Superbowl, I doubt he'd care and Kyle wouldn't have brought him in if he was a me-type of player. That's not the 49er way.

Not entirely. Thought Staley said if he got moved to guard it was time to hang it up. TW is not coming to the 9ers to play guard and take one for the team. At that point we were the second worse team in the league. Moving McGlinchey to guard is the only real option although one would need to consider the mental impact of that move on McGlinchey. Also McGlinchey was just coming off a pretty good rookie season.

Point being is that TW is an upgrade over Staley. Maybe not career at this point but in the present going back to the start of the 2019 season.

Mobile QB.

Because Pat Mahomes doesn't need protection up the middle?

Or could it be Andy Reid also doesn't value spending high capital on interior protectors because you can find competent ones throughout?
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by libertyforever:
You don't think the Shanahan scheme has evolved since the 1970s? Really?

OMG

You were the one bringing up the 1970s by saying "if you still subscribe to the 1970's that cool. You'd think the Superbowl would be enough evidence for you but like Kyle, maybe you'll never learn or change your way of thinking and adapt to today's game." LOL.

70's was referring to the old school philosophy of devaluing the IOL. It's just a different game now and the Superbowl is proof of that. You need at least one dominant IOL. We had 3 average to poor IOL because the FO subscribed to that archaic 70's philosophy. Had they just one really talented IOL and one young developed OL ready to step in in year 2 or 3, we win the Superbowl. Instead, they were screwed with Tomlinson (poor pass protector), a turnstile in Garland and a broken neck Person to protect a FQB coming off an Achilles tear and year 1 in a very very complex offense. I told you last off season it would cost us and I'll tell you again, it's going to cost us. If you choose to ignore it, that's on you.
The way you said it, we should have been a bottom 5 team rather than one win from the Lombardi Trophy. LOL.

Had the team listen to you and draft two IOL over Nick Bosa and Deebo, the team wouldn't even be in the Super Bowl.
[ Edited by libertyforever on Apr 26, 2020 at 3:35 PM ]

Not entirely. Thought Staley said if he got moved to guard it was time to hang it up. TW is not coming to the 9ers to play guard and take one for the team. At that point we were the second worse team in the league. Moving McGlinchey to guard is the only real option although one would need to consider the mental impact of that move on McGlinchey. Also McGlinchey was just coming off a pretty good rookie season.

Point being is that TW is an upgrade over Staley. Maybe not career at this point but in the present going back to the start of the 2019 season.

Staley would remain at LT. And you're right. Joe said the day he was asked to play RT, he'd retire. He was adamant about that but that's because he's such a technician and has his off season regime refined which is most important at the twilight of his career...not changing sides/positions/technique.

McGlinchey/TW move would be temporary for a year or two at most. Like the old 49er days, you just bring the talent in like Larry Allen and figure out the details later.

TW just wanted out of Washington. Period.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 26, 2020 at 3:35 PM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Staley. He broke a leg early in the year ...Bengals game I think. We were looking at Skule.

Don't know that having TW would've won us #6. By the SB, Staley was already back to form.

The O-line didn't cost us the super bowl. The officials, Jimmy and Kyle did.
Originally posted by Sickaa:
The O-line didn't cost us the super bowl. The officials, Jimmy and Kyle did.

Rewatch again closely. I dare you.
Share 49ersWebzone