LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

Offseason All22 Film Study

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
General thread for cut ups during the offseason. I plan to mainly show clips of the newest 49ers so we can get a sense of what they bring to the table, but topics will vary. I know jonnydel was also talking about posting various cut ups so that would be a welcome addition.

I'm more comfortable breaking down film of a game because there are only so many plays in a game. When doing a player study, I'll show clips that help illustrate my observations of the player. It is indeed cherry picking plays, but those are the plays that I feel best demonstrate the player's strengths and weaknesses.
Alright, here we go....now it's truly the offseason. I eagerly awaiting the Torrey smith cuts. For one, I want to see what type a player he is, but another thing is it's gonna show kubiaks offense at least for the 2014 plays. I've always loved his scheme.
  • thl408
First up, Torrey Smith. Very stoked about this addition to the WR corp. It's been awhile since the 49ers have had a speed threat on the outside. VD was a deep threat, but because he was mainly used as an inline TE or slot WR, it wasn't the same as when Moss was on the outside. Moss contributed mainly on his deep threat reputation. My hope is Torrey Smith can actually catch some passes down the sideline for the 49ers.

Flacco was not afraid to throw it up and have Torrey go get it by adjusting to the ball in the air. The longer the ball is in the air, the more time the WR has to adjust. Some have mentioned that Kap can't throw the deep ball due to his passes lacking arc. This is something he will have to put on display to utilize Torrey to his fullest potential.

Strengths:
- Speed, with a 6th gear after he locates the ball in the air.
- Fights well through contact at the line of scrimmage.
- Hand fighting when jockeying for position. Pushes the envelope that borders on offensive pass interference.
- Quick acceleration once the ball is in his hands when catching on the run.

Weaknesses:
- Does not break tackles.
- Inconsistent short/intermediate route running. Not crisp coming out of cuts, but can get away with it due to CB's respecting his speed and giving a cushion. Often takes too many steps at the top of the route in order to slow down or change direction.
- Did not show a wide range of double move routes. Not sure if he can't run it, so he isn't asked to, or that the BAL offense did not call for those routes.
Roll that beautiful bean footage
  • thl408
Torrey Smith (#82) understands the hand fighting involved to jockey for positioning once the ball is in the air. He exhibits very good instincts to know when to use his swim move to get in front of the CB. He also uses an arm bar to earn the last few inches just before the ball arrives.

Versus press alignment

After a stutter step to fake an inside move, the CB reaches out to bump TS. TS bats the hands away and uses a swim move to earn an outside release.

Notice the push off with the right arm at the last moment.
  • thl408
Filler post to cut down on the number of GIFs per page. For easier loading of the page.
Originally posted by thl408:

This looks like a play we can run all day long. Also this the second TSmith td I've seen from at least 25 yards out, man we really needed this guy. How many games were we at the 30-25 yard line and couldn't do jack s**t.
[ Edited by awp8912 on Mar 12, 2015 at 9:51 PM ]
  • thl408
This was shown in the Kap thread. Reposting it as it's another example of how TS uses his arms to earn separation at the last second just before the ball arrives.

Hand fighting all along the way down the sideline. Waves the CB's arm away twice, then finishes him off with a swim move/arm bar.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Niners816:
Alright, here we go....now it's truly the offseason. I eagerly awaiting the Torrey smith cuts. For one, I want to see what type a player he is, but another thing is it's gonna show kubiaks offense at least for the 2014 plays. I've always loved his scheme.

I'll be focusing more on TS the player, not so much the concepts of the play. Of course, anything goes in this open thread.
  • thl408
More versus press alignment with a single high safety. Fighting through a defensive holding penalty. (slow mo replay)

• thl408
These are all from 2014, unless noted.
Originally posted by thl408:
I'll be focusing more on TS the player, not so much the concepts of the play. Of course, anything goes in this open thread.

That's cool...I'll still be able to see how he was using his Spd guy within his scheme, and I've always been pretty good calling out schemes from gifs.
On post #5, check out the room the slot guy has. Attention has to be paid to Torrey, and that helps every other level. IMO, this will be the single biggest impact he has on our offense.
  • thl408
There are many WRs that are fast and exhibit great 40 times, but how they run when they get shoved at separates the athletes from the bonafide WRs. TS shows an ability to quickly recover from contact and accelerate through.

TS at the bottom of the screen, left side of offensive formation. Fighting through a re-route from the LB, then 1v1 versus Joe Haden.

Notice how quickly he eats up the cushion that Haden is giving.

1st pic: LB gives TS a shove.
2nd pic: TS prepares to use a swim move with his right arm to gain position.
3rd pic: Swim move completed and he is now ahead of Haden.

• FL9er
  • Veteran
th, next or whenever you feel like it, can you examine the 49ers run game from 2014. People rave about Greg Roman's creativity in the run game and I'm curious if it was still there or poor execution as to the uneven play of the offense last year.
Share 49ersWebzone